Tamron 10-24 opinions
Posted 14/05/2010 - 06:56
Link
it's addictive. Yes, it's "soft"; you could also consider that rendering. There's a helluva lot of information to cram onto that there sensor, so it's not easy.
I like the perspective - I stood what felt like 10 feet away from a 50' tree at christmas and got the whole thing in - and I deliberately checked my copy against another at SRS (Thanks Chris!) to check it was a design thing and not my copy.
I'll dig out some pics later.
Bret
I like the perspective - I stood what felt like 10 feet away from a 50' tree at christmas and got the whole thing in - and I deliberately checked my copy against another at SRS (Thanks Chris!) to check it was a design thing and not my copy.
I'll dig out some pics later.
Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
Posted 14/05/2010 - 08:10
Link
pnjmcc wrote:
I have no need for this lens so is it better to wait save a few more penny's (...)
ahem! We'll have none of that sort of behaviour round here thankyouverymuch
I have no need for this lens so is it better to wait save a few more penny's (...)
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
Posted 14/05/2010 - 09:35
Link
I just realised a bunch of stuff I did still has numberplates on, so I'd have to edit those out.
However, here's one I did earlier, with a crappy numberplate edit:
(USM applied, 5, 0.5, 0)

However, here's one I did earlier, with a crappy numberplate edit:
(USM applied, 5, 0.5, 0)

my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
Posted 14/05/2010 - 10:15
Link
I have been thinking of ths lens but I am swaying more towards the 14mm prime
Emma
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." Aaron Siskind
Bodies K20D, LTL 3, K1000d
Lenses Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Tamron 70-300 macro
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." Aaron Siskind
Bodies K20D, LTL 3, K1000d
Lenses Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Tamron 70-300 macro
Posted 14/05/2010 - 11:00
Link
With a wide angle you are more likely to have it stopped down a bit anyway (unless you're taking lots of indoor shots for some reason).
I hear lots of praise for the Sigma but don't hear as much for the Tamron. Maybe that is just because the Sigma is more prevalent. For £10 more I'd be tempted to go for the Sigma but maybe someone who has used both could shed a more considered opinion on the two?
Of course, there is loads of praise for the Pentax 12-24 but that is silly money if you ask me.
If you can afford to wait a bit (I know, LBA is not very forgiving in that area) then Sigma are releasing an even wider wide angle very soon. This could be an even better option for you but it may also create a flood of secondhand wide angles as people upgrade. I'm tempted to wait for reviews of the new lens before I go for something wide.
I hear lots of praise for the Sigma but don't hear as much for the Tamron. Maybe that is just because the Sigma is more prevalent. For £10 more I'd be tempted to go for the Sigma but maybe someone who has used both could shed a more considered opinion on the two?
Of course, there is loads of praise for the Pentax 12-24 but that is silly money if you ask me.
If you can afford to wait a bit (I know, LBA is not very forgiving in that area) then Sigma are releasing an even wider wide angle very soon. This could be an even better option for you but it may also create a flood of secondhand wide angles as people upgrade. I'm tempted to wait for reviews of the new lens before I go for something wide.
You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...
Posted 14/05/2010 - 11:15
Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
Thanks for posting Bret. (Not sure why you were worried about the reg plates tho!)
I take some shots for a property agency and am also required to blur licence plates. Supposedly it is due to privacy regulations, no idea if that's accurate or not though.Thanks for posting Bret. (Not sure why you were worried about the reg plates tho!)
Regarding the lenses, the Tamron is quite recent I think, hence the lack of reviews. The Sigma is allegedly sharper although I don't know if that's true or not.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 14/05/2010 - 14:58
Link
that shot is at f/13......
It's acceptable. I don't *need* masses of detail on masses of detail. I want feel and space and it gives me that in spades.
If you want really sharp, go 12-24. If you want Sigma quality, go 10-20. The Tammy does a lot of things right (it's only this "soft" at 10mm, by 13mm it's much better) and I like it for the feel.
Bret
It's acceptable. I don't *need* masses of detail on masses of detail. I want feel and space and it gives me that in spades.
If you want really sharp, go 12-24. If you want Sigma quality, go 10-20. The Tammy does a lot of things right (it's only this "soft" at 10mm, by 13mm it's much better) and I like it for the feel.
Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
Posted 18/05/2010 - 01:51
Link
Hi bretti,
Thanks for posting that. it doesn't look to soft
Hi ems,
I did think about a prime but again price put me off
It is really a toss-up between the extra stop on the tamron (Tammy=3.5-4.5 vs siggy=4-5.6) an extra 4mm and the apparant softness of the tammy vs the sigma
Hmmmmm.... decisions decisions...
Thanks for posting that. it doesn't look to soft
Hi ems,
ems82 wrote:
I have been thinking of ths lens but I am swaying more towards the 14mm prime
I have been thinking of ths lens but I am swaying more towards the 14mm prime
I did think about a prime but again price put me off
WobblyGoblin wrote:
I hear lots of praise for the Sigma but don't hear as much for the Tamron. Maybe that is just because the Sigma is more prevalent. For £10 more I'd be tempted to go for the Sigma but maybe someone who has used both could shed a more considered opinion on the two?
Of course, there is loads of praise for the Pentax 12-24 but that is silly money if you ask me.
Yep, definately silly money to play with for the pentax 12-24, if I was serious it would be another matter but I just want to play. I hear lots of praise for the Sigma but don't hear as much for the Tamron. Maybe that is just because the Sigma is more prevalent. For £10 more I'd be tempted to go for the Sigma but maybe someone who has used both could shed a more considered opinion on the two?
Of course, there is loads of praise for the Pentax 12-24 but that is silly money if you ask me.
It is really a toss-up between the extra stop on the tamron (Tammy=3.5-4.5 vs siggy=4-5.6) an extra 4mm and the apparant softness of the tammy vs the sigma
Hmmmmm.... decisions decisions...
All cameras are equal but.....
Some are more equal than others
Some are more equal than others
Posted 18/05/2010 - 15:48
Link
What's the problem with number plates?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 20/05/2010 - 23:58
Link
I'm interested in this lens too. According to the dpreview tests it's sharper than the Sigma 10-20, but as said above softer at the edges. ab9otu the same price I think on the street
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 21/05/2010 - 09:50
Link
I said I would remove the plates, that's all. There have been cases of plates being cloned and issues with parking and speeding tickets as a result.
I did a couple of landscapes yesterday... this is with the 0.9ND and the 10-24. Unsharpened, just exposure / curve / WB 'corrected'.

Bret
I did a couple of landscapes yesterday... this is with the 0.9ND and the 10-24. Unsharpened, just exposure / curve / WB 'corrected'.

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
Posted 22/05/2010 - 22:17
Link
I once asked the same question.
I considered both the Tamron and the Sigma and in the end went for the Tamron for the 4mm, the slightly bigger aperture and the feel.
I have no complaints with this lens regarding sharpness or anything.
On camera it just felt better to me than the Sigma.
A few images.......
[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu173/manix_zero/IMGP2153-Edit-3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu173/manix_zero/IMGP2329.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu173/manix_zero/Photo-11.jpg[/IMG]
All in all its a nice lens. I like the feel and I am happy with the results. I'm sure users of the Sigma 10-20mm would say the same. My advice would be to pop to a shop and try them on your camera.
Cheerz MZ
I considered both the Tamron and the Sigma and in the end went for the Tamron for the 4mm, the slightly bigger aperture and the feel.
I have no complaints with this lens regarding sharpness or anything.
On camera it just felt better to me than the Sigma.
A few images.......
[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu173/manix_zero/IMGP2153-Edit-3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu173/manix_zero/IMGP2329.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu173/manix_zero/Photo-11.jpg[/IMG]
All in all its a nice lens. I like the feel and I am happy with the results. I'm sure users of the Sigma 10-20mm would say the same. My advice would be to pop to a shop and try them on your camera.
Cheerz MZ
K5, K7, Nikon FA.
AF Lenses: DA15mm Ltd, DA21mm Limited, DA35mmAL, DA50mm f1.8, DA18-55mmWR, FA28-70mm f4AL, DA50-200mmWR,Tamron SP70-200mm f2.8, AF70-300mm LD Di, SP10-24mm, SP90mm Macro.
MF Lenses: SMC-A 50mm, Adaptall 24mm(CW-24), 135mm(03B), 35-70mm(17A) 80-210mm(03A), Micro-Nikkor55mm, Soligor I-S 200mm f2.8 AIS
My Flickr - link
My Photobucket - link
AF Lenses: DA15mm Ltd, DA21mm Limited, DA35mmAL, DA50mm f1.8, DA18-55mmWR, FA28-70mm f4AL, DA50-200mmWR,Tamron SP70-200mm f2.8, AF70-300mm LD Di, SP10-24mm, SP90mm Macro.
MF Lenses: SMC-A 50mm, Adaptall 24mm(CW-24), 135mm(03B), 35-70mm(17A) 80-210mm(03A), Micro-Nikkor55mm, Soligor I-S 200mm f2.8 AIS
My Flickr - link
My Photobucket - link
Posted 22/05/2010 - 22:19
Link
Is that last shot at gallians reach?
Emma
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." Aaron Siskind
Bodies K20D, LTL 3, K1000d
Lenses Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Tamron 70-300 macro
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." Aaron Siskind
Bodies K20D, LTL 3, K1000d
Lenses Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Tamron 70-300 macro
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


491 posts
19 years
Frenchs Forest,
Sydney
I have read one review that says its a bit soft at the wider apertures and I was just after some opions on this lens especially if anyone has one and could post some example images showing any good or bad points.
The only other option is the sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 non HSM lens which is only 10 quid more @ GPB389.
I have no need for this lens so is it better to wait save a few more penny's and go for one of the 12-24's?
Regards
PaulM
Some are more equal than others