Taking a Chance on eBay
Posted 11/04/2025 - 11:26
Link
The Pentax MZ-5N indeed does look mint, have you identified what's wrong with it?
Nice results from the 80-320mm too
Nice results from the 80-320mm too
Adapting Pentax-M Series Lenses
Posted 11/04/2025 - 11:58
Link
It's the infamous mirror mechanism, victim of plastic gearing...Not worth getting it repaired even if someone was willing/able to do it. It's usually better to just find another one that works, which is a shame as I would prefer to keep things in use rather than them ending up as ornaments or even landfill.
Best regards, John
Posted 11/04/2025 - 12:33
Link
Shame about the mirror gearing, it's a pretty attractive camera though given some of the shockers from that period.
I'm now imagining a shelf at the Riley residence with a Pentax camera from each series in chronological order
I'm now imagining a shelf at the Riley residence with a Pentax camera from each series in chronological order
Adapting Pentax-M Series Lenses
Posted 11/04/2025 - 14:26
Link
£20 for the FA80-320 I am jealous of - that would have got me over the frustration of selling the lenses that work on the Z-1p by those that don't (AF-wise), the D-FA.
I'd been eying up a Chinon CP-7m that sold for £7.99 a few weeks back - I hesitated. That would have completed my 1987 trilogy - got a CP-7m then as I couldn't afford the P50 or T70 (was a poor student then..).
I'd been eying up a Chinon CP-7m that sold for £7.99 a few weeks back - I hesitated. That would have completed my 1987 trilogy - got a CP-7m then as I couldn't afford the P50 or T70 (was a poor student then..).
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. SMC-FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. HD-FA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon, and a Canon T70.
F50 1.7. SMC-FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. HD-FA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon, and a Canon T70.
Posted 11/04/2025 - 22:32
Link
The 80-320 is a very capable lens and you now have one in black - very unusual as most of them are silver, so you will certainly get your money back. I use a big Tamron hood on mine that came off an Adaptall 103A 80-210 - cheap as chips.
Posted 12/04/2025 - 10:21
Link
I was pleased to find a black one I think they look better than the silver finish.
As for that shelf, old cameras don’t disappear they find their way to the Sargasso Sea of Cameras and it’s a bit more than a shelf! 😎
As for that shelf, old cameras don’t disappear they find their way to the Sargasso Sea of Cameras and it’s a bit more than a shelf! 😎
Best regards, John
Posted 22/04/2025 - 11:02
Link
The MZ-5N would be a fine camera were it not for that plastic gear. Capable, small, light, and a pleasure to use.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Posted 22/04/2025 - 17:24
Link
I had a quote from Asahi for around £100 to fix the plastic gear on a mint MZ series. Pondering. I know I'll not get my money back post repair if I sell it, but I've had the camera from new plus there's the principle of keeping things going if possible. My lenses are silver unfortunately.
Posted 23/04/2025 - 08:09
Link
JohnX wrote:
I had a quote from Asahi for around £100 to fix the plastic gear on a mint MZ series. Pondering. I know I'll not get my money back post repair if I sell it, but I've had the camera from new plus there's the principle of keeping things going if possible. My lenses are silver unfortunately.
That's less than I would have expected given the amount of work it takes to dismantle and reassemble the camera to swap out the gear. As long as it's swapped for a quality part rather than the same cr*ppy plastic I don't think that's too bad. Without that gear failure to worry about an MZ camera could last for a long time.
I had a quote from Asahi for around £100 to fix the plastic gear on a mint MZ series. Pondering. I know I'll not get my money back post repair if I sell it, but I've had the camera from new plus there's the principle of keeping things going if possible. My lenses are silver unfortunately.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


24425 posts
24 years
Tyldesley,
Manchester
1 small mint Tamrac bag held all the kit
MZ-5N is non-working but in perfect condition for the photos I need
24-70mm shows separation byt again mint condition
80-320mm perfect condition, fully working and clean throughout.
So the package was worth the price, and the 80-320mm is a solid lens that with even a quick couple of shots shows it has great potential.