Sushi

Don
Posted 18/07/2011 - 04:28 Link
Comment Image
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Gwyn
Posted 18/07/2011 - 09:41 Link
I love it!

There I was expecting an artistic photo of sushi arranged on a plate, and then I get this! Gave me a much needed laugh on this horrible Monday morning. How did you get the cat to meow like that? Or did you hold some sushi off to one side?
Pwynnej
Posted 18/07/2011 - 09:53 Link
On a technicality, cat should say 'Miso Soup' 'Ramen' or 'Nooooooodles'

:whistles:
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. SMC-FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. HD-FA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon, and a Canon T70.
Gwyn
Posted 18/07/2011 - 10:19 Link
Pwynnej wrote:
On a technicality, cat should say 'Miso Soup' 'Ramen' or 'Nooooooodles'

:whistles:
Maybe that it was he's going to get but he'd rather have sushi. My grandkids get one thing for dinner but often call out they'd rather have something else. Doesn't mean they get it of course.
thoramay
Posted 18/07/2011 - 13:26 Link
Brilliant, Don. Should give dougf8 something to moan about, me thinks.
Don't normally like cat pictures because I don't like cats. That's just me, but when set up like this I can only wonder how it was done with such purr-fection. Makes my efforts look like kindergarden stuff
Don
Posted 18/07/2011 - 13:38 Link
Pwynnej wrote:
On a technicality, cat should say 'Miso Soup' 'Ramen' or 'Nooooooodles'

:whistles:
I was originally thinking I might clone in some soup into the bowl..... but realized, shark fin soup, with a little JAWS styled fin swimming around didn't work at that scale.... would need a complete redo on the set and a close up with an ultrawide lens to make it workable...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Don
Posted 18/07/2011 - 14:18 Link
thoramay wrote:
but when set up like this I can only wonder how it was done with such purr-fection. Makes my efforts look like kindergarden stuff
easier done than said I'm affraid..lol!
ok here goes:
Comment Image


the back corner of my studio... set up a table and props...

That babmoo booth in the background? (We rent out Photo booths for parties, that bamboo and curtian "Tikki Booth" people can walk in sit down, push a button anf smile for the camera.... my mac based software script and ds2 then snap the photo and (a,b, and or c) can then send the photo to print, upload to internet/social network site or send directly to our projector DJ booth....why is there a mattress topper foam on the ceiling? because when not being rented out, my photo booth doubles as my podcast recording booth and there is a mic, laptop and sound mixer board in there and we record voice overs and podcasts there) that is being used for a backdrop...

then we added a stand with a chinese lantern, and daylight CFL. It is one of my two fill lights, adding fill for the cat.

then there is the large softbox, adding very little fill, just enough to reflect off the black glossy surfaces).
Then there is a strobe with silver umbrella on a stand for a main light on the cat... lastly to add contrast and depth to the curtians behind the cat there is another strobe with grid and barn doors adding a thin strip of light and shadows across the curtians...

reality? took me twice as long to type this as it did to set up.

Now getting a cat to co-operate was a whole other story... involving tuna.

don't let all the gear fool you.. you could esily create a similar shot in front of a large window without all the crap.... you just use the expensive gear to MIMIC natural light 9 times out of 10 when you're working in a studio...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Edited by Don: 18/07/2011 - 14:25
techno-terminator
Posted 18/07/2011 - 14:39 Link
But Don - something's missing

Where's the cat ? Oh and in your pic he was undoubtedly shouting for Sushi - there's no way that that mouth was asking for noodles of any sort or soup
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
thoramay
Posted 18/07/2011 - 17:23 Link
Don...Thanks! I didn't intend you to show us how you did that shot. Some of the mystic has evaporated, and I thought you were so clever LOL.

It is way beyond my imagination, I think that the concept and then the actual doing of the shot is great. Enhanced my already high opinion of your work.
Thanks for responding so generously.
dougf8
Posted 18/07/2011 - 18:55 Link
Sorry Don I wasn't going to comment but thoramay seems to have invited me.

thoramay wrote:
Brilliant, Don. Should give dougf8 something to moan about, me thinks.
Thoramay, I can't remember moaning about ANY images on here. And the last time (I think) I commented in detail on one of Don's images, it was to award him first place in a fortnightly competition. Don is a fine photographer.
Lurking is shirking.!
Don
Posted 18/07/2011 - 19:15 Link
dougf8 wrote:
Sorry Don I wasn't going to comment but thoramay seems to have invited me.

thoramay wrote:
Brilliant, Don. Should give dougf8 something to moan about, me thinks.
Thoramay, I can't remember moaning about ANY images on here. And the last time (I think) I commented in detail on one of Don's images, it was to award him first place in a fortnightly competition. Don is a fine photographer.
there's nothing to apologize for... a little friendly ribbing is fine by me. Those that can't take it shouldn't dish it out. It was getting a little close to having JR make one of his "Interventions" so best to just let it go... all the way around....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Don
Posted 18/07/2011 - 19:48 Link
thoramay wrote:
Don...Thanks! I didn't intend you to show us how you did that shot. Some of the mystic has evaporated, and I thought you were so clever LOL.

It is way beyond my imagination, I think that the concept and then the actual doing of the shot is great. Enhanced my already high opinion of your work.
Thanks for responding so generously.
once you break 'em down many of the best shots you'll see are actually deceptively simple.
you could get a similar shot with little more than a window and a reflector or off camera flash, but in the studio, we have to create the whole illusion......
and you're welcome... I don't mind sharing when I can...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
dougf8
Posted 18/07/2011 - 21:05 Link
Sorry Don to clutter your thread.

thoramay wrote:
Brilliant, Don. Should give dougf8 something to moan about, me thinks.
thoramay

Please, I'm in need of a little explanation about why you posted this message.

I don't provide much C&C, just on occasion.

Very rarely do I give negative C&C as I feel everybody should have their photography encouraged. In fact I can't remember the last moan I had about any image posted here, by a forum member. Perhaps you might furnish such, if I have forgotten.

I'm a little worried you might have some ulterior motive behind your post. Perhaps you could explain.

I thought you were an upstanding member of this fine friendly forum, not some nasty stirring hypocrite ...
Lurking is shirking.!
Edited by dougf8: 18/07/2011 - 21:05

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo