Super Tak 85/1.9 vs M85??
Posted 15/02/2010 - 23:41
Link
There are two approaches to designing 85mm "portrait" lenses.
The first is for it to be fairly soft at wide apertures (for flattering portraits) and crisp when stopped down. The second is to have biting sharpness at all apertures.
The f1.9 is the former. The f2 M series lens I always found disappointing. The f1.8 versions are the ones I would probably seek out, or the later f1.4 K mount version.
The first is for it to be fairly soft at wide apertures (for flattering portraits) and crisp when stopped down. The second is to have biting sharpness at all apertures.
The f1.9 is the former. The f2 M series lens I always found disappointing. The f1.8 versions are the ones I would probably seek out, or the later f1.4 K mount version.
Best regards, John
Posted 16/02/2010 - 08:22
Link
Thanks John.
I'm not looking at the f1.4 versions in whichever incarnation. It's simply too far out of reach.
But I wouldn't mind getting 1.8/1.9/2.0 version of Pentax 85.
Oh, well. I'll see
BR
Peter
I'm not looking at the f1.4 versions in whichever incarnation. It's simply too far out of reach.
But I wouldn't mind getting 1.8/1.9/2.0 version of Pentax 85.
Oh, well. I'll see
BR
Peter
Posted 16/02/2010 - 13:03
Link
axl,
I have the Super-Tak 85/1.9 and it's a fine lens. Smooth focus and excellent sharpness. If you can find a good one grab it, as the prices are continuing to go up. Of course I'd grab a 85/1.8 if I could afford one but for me the 1.9 will do just fine. Also look for the SMC version so you can get the excellent coatings to reduce flare that the Super-Tak does not have.
I have the Super-Tak 85/1.9 and it's a fine lens. Smooth focus and excellent sharpness. If you can find a good one grab it, as the prices are continuing to go up. Of course I'd grab a 85/1.8 if I could afford one but for me the 1.9 will do just fine. Also look for the SMC version so you can get the excellent coatings to reduce flare that the Super-Tak does not have.
Posted 16/02/2010 - 13:47
Link
There are a few late manufacture Super Takumar lenses that are actually SMC ones. The main clue is that they will have the open aperture coupling for the ES. So worth watching out for.
Best regards, John
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


358 posts
16 years
London
In general, from what I have read, the 85/1.9 is regarded bit less than it's f1.8 cousins.
But Taks 85/1.8 and K85/1.8 are regarded better than M85/2.
So how do these two "underdogs" compare?
Which is better? (sharpness, contrast)
TIA
Peter
K-7 + O-ME53, K-x blue, AF280T, AF240Z, AF160SA
SMC: FA*24 - FA31ltd - DA*55 - FA100/2.8