Super Bowl XLIV

alun
Posted 07/02/2010 - 23:08 Link
Superbowl time again, and I am strangely fascinated by this bizarre amalgamation of sport and commerce. I read this week that a sizeable percentage of the American audience watch it simply for the advertisements (denied to us on the BBC), and the contrast with the first week of the our UK Six Nations rugby couldnt be greater, despite UK rugby and soccer now regularly using 'offense' to mean what we used to call attack.
I actually like the game, although I have yet to stay awake long enough to see it all live.
What do our American forum members make of it?
Photomonk
Posted 07/02/2010 - 23:34 Link
From one American, I will see what the score is at the end of the game on CNN tonight or tomorrow. Otherwise, it is three plus hours of absolute boredom.

The Photomonk
Clarky
Posted 08/02/2010 - 03:48 Link
I don't mind American football, but I couldn't watch it live, it would bore me to death, the game lacks continuity and is very predictable.

Players are much like robots out on the field and can't even pick thier nose without the coaches say so, and if he does he will probably get a flag for "hands in the face" Did I say I like this game, yeah its ok. I will wait for the 1 hr condensed version to be replayed tonight.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Unlocker
Posted 08/02/2010 - 09:42 Link
I just don't get it either.

Tried watching it last night, and it was absolute boredom.

Seems to go something like this:-

1. Play for 15 seconds, time out, change half the team, go to adverts.

2. see no.1 above.

First 15 minutes took nearly an hour.

Where on earth is the appeal in this game?
Clarky
Posted 08/02/2010 - 10:49 Link
With most American sports, it only gets interesting in the last 60seconds of a game if it is close, it will then take about 15mins to complete and can get quite exciting.

Nascar racing is another prime example.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
bforbes
Posted 08/02/2010 - 11:04 Link
Clarky wrote:
Nascar racing is another prime example.
I can not get the hang of oval racing. Have you ever been to Bathurst?
Dangermouse
Posted 08/02/2010 - 11:09 Link
I have to say it rather reminds me of the Sontarans from Dr Who attempting to play rugby...

Rather watch rallying any day. Much better for photography, no rules about what sort of camera you can take in and you can get as close as you like providing you show a bit of common sense and listen to the marshals.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Clarky
Posted 08/02/2010 - 11:28 Link
bforbes wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Nascar racing is another prime example.
I can not get the hang of oval racing. Have you ever been to Bathurst?
Sure have many times Now that is a real race.

I even had an opportunity to drive one of those Bathurst beasts on a corporate day, The most exhilerating day I have ever experienced, and that includes a rather unfortunate incident in the sand trap at the end of the main straight, needless to say the racing suit I was wearing was quickly disposed of.

Thats me front and centre
[IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x261/ClarkyinAus/832_3223.jpg[/IMG]
I'm the cool dude with the shades
[IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x261/ClarkyinAus/Picture1.jpg[/IMG]
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Photomonk
Posted 08/02/2010 - 11:57 Link
Boredom, don't say I never warned you. As to the outcome, pretty predictable, one of the two teams won.

The Photomonk
Oggy
Posted 08/02/2010 - 12:34 Link
No enthusiasm for the game, but it was good to hear New Orleans having a bit of luck after the awful things that happened there.
Pwynnej
Posted 08/02/2010 - 12:51 Link
Give me a Blue Square Premier match anyday, or grassroots association football

not soccer it's football...

Not a fan of rugby

but frankly isn't NFL just rugby league for wimps...wearing all the protection for a game of 'football' is just laughable when you think that the northern rugby league players have virtually no protection

I much prefer gaelic football
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. SMC-FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. HD-FA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon, and a Canon T70.
bwlchmawr
Posted 08/02/2010 - 13:09 Link
In my humble opinion, probably the finest cold weather game devised by man. But you do need to understand the finer points in detail to appreciate what's going on. And never, under any circumstances, attempt to watch a game live. You need a decent recording and a remote control.

And like FA cup finals (when I could be bothered with football) Super Bowls are rarely thye best games.

Expecting to be in a small minority... again,

Regards,

Andrew
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
womble
Posted 08/02/2010 - 13:21 Link
Last night was a very enjoyable game and I sat up and watched every moment of it. You have to think of American Football as being more like chess with extreme violence and precision timing. I agree that all the adverts (even more during the Superbowl) are a bit annoying but one cannot deny the skill involved in being able to throw a ball 40 yards down the pitch to someone who isn't there yet while a 6'5" man mountain is bearing down on you with intent...

I find the disparaging of American Football amusing from a nation that invented a sport that takes five days to play, is equally stop-start (to the extent the commentators spend most of their time discussing the cake Mrs Smith sent them) and where the most likely outcome is a draw. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy cricket too, but with both games you need a certain level of understanding to get the most from it.

Personally, I find football (the usual round ball version) as dull as ditchwater and the actresses throwing themselves on the ground writhing in agony if another player comes within a couple of yards of them annoying in the extreme.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Gwyn
Posted 08/02/2010 - 13:23 Link
It is the one game involving a ball that my husband doesn't watch, thank goodness.

Yes he will even sit and watch bowls on TV if I let him.
womble
Posted 08/02/2010 - 13:32 Link
I come from a family of champion bowlers so that doesn't surprise me!

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo