Sunset at Paddy's Hole

SRHphoto

Link Posted 06/01/2015 - 21:54
A photograph of the sun setting over the fishing boats moored at Paddy's Hole with Teesport and the Wilton chemical complex in the background.

Jennifer by srhphoto, on Flickr

Taken with a K3 + Sigma 17-50mm f2.8

Cheers,

Simon.

Nigelk

Link Posted 06/01/2015 - 22:47
very nice, really like the foreground boats,well framed. for my taste you could remove almost half the sky it would keep your eyes in the bottom two thirds of the photo. Lovely picture.

davidstorm

Link Posted 07/01/2015 - 00:19
Just beautiful, the sky could be left as it is for me, but I agree that it would also look good with a crop.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Dingo

Link Posted 07/01/2015 - 07:20
I have to disagree with the two above comments.....the absolute beauty and integrity of this shot is held in the counterbalance of "obvious" look at the sky because it's beautiful, versus the "subtle", how much detail and intricacy can you spot.............I ADORE this photo....you have a Technical and Poetic eye for a photograph, a combination that is quite rare!!......can I be your first fan??!!

Stridey

Link Posted 07/01/2015 - 09:07
Beautiful shot. No need to crop - looks great as it and has good balance.

Did you use an ND Grad to preserve the dynamic range, blend two shots etc or did you just lift the foreground detail from one shot ? Whatever you did, you processed it to perfection IMO.

Regards
Nigel
Best regards
Nigel

www.nigelstridephotography.co.uk

kingalew

Link Posted 07/01/2015 - 13:36
Now, that is something. Sublime. A travesty if it's not hanging on your wall.
www.flickr.com/photos/kingalew/
Current - K3, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 70-300mm, Pentax DA 35mm f2.4, Pentax DA 18-55mm WR, Pentax DA 50-200mm WR, Pentax Da 50mm f1.8, Sigma manual 28mm, Pentax Ltd 40mm f2.8, Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro.

redbusa99

Link Posted 07/01/2015 - 16:42
definitely a hang on the wall shot
odd lens or 2

Flickr

McGregNi

Link Posted 07/01/2015 - 17:35
An excellent shot with beautiful foreground lighting (thats what really makes it I think). I think you do need the height in the sky just to give the blue room to breathe ... if anything I find the orange / yellow tones low down on the horizon a little overpowering, but thats easily controllable if you want to. Great clarity in the far distance also as well as foreground. Thanks for showing this!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Helpful

SRHphoto

Link Posted 09/01/2015 - 21:02
Stridey wrote:
Beautiful shot. No need to crop - looks great as it and has good balance.

Did you use an ND Grad to preserve the dynamic range, blend two shots etc or did you just lift the foreground detail from one shot ? Whatever you did, you processed it to perfection IMO.

Regards
Nigel

Thanks Nigel. The photograph is actually made up of 3 separate pictures - one for the foreground, one for the majority of the sky and one for the very brightest part of the sky. Each was processed in LR, and then combined in PS Elements using layer masks and brushes.

Cheers,

Simon.

SRHphoto

Link Posted 09/01/2015 - 21:06
Nigelk wrote:
very nice, really like the foreground boats,well framed. for my taste you could remove almost half the sky it would keep your eyes in the bottom two thirds of the photo. Lovely picture.

redbusa99 wrote:
definitely a hang on the wall shot

kingalew wrote:
Now, that is something. Sublime. A travesty if it's not hanging on your wall.

Dingo wrote:
I have to disagree with the two above comments.....the absolute beauty and integrity of this shot is held in the counterbalance of "obvious" look at the sky because it's beautiful, versus the "subtle", how much detail and intricacy can you spot.............I ADORE this photo....you have a Technical and Poetic eye for a photograph, a combination that is quite rare!!......can I be your first fan??!!

davidstorm wrote:
Just beautiful, the sky could be left as it is for me, but I agree that it would also look good with a crop.

Regards
David

Nigelk wrote:

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions. It is all very much appreciated

Cheers,

Simon.

davidtrout

Link Posted 10/01/2015 - 17:44
I wouldn't crop anything - its perfect as it is - a lovely photo with lots to enjoy in it.
David

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

SRHphoto

Link Posted 11/01/2015 - 14:23
davidtrout wrote:
I wouldn't crop anything - its perfect as it is - a lovely photo with lots to enjoy in it.
David

Thanks David, I appreciate you taking the time to comments.

Cheers,

Simon.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.