Sunrise over Aylesbury - Cliche alert!
Posted 10/03/2014 - 11:50
Link
Cliche or not, I like it. You even got the clouds to mae a channel 4 logo
Be interested to know the filters as it is one of the things I'm looking to upgrade (I only have some cheap kood filters)
Be interested to know the filters as it is one of the things I'm looking to upgrade (I only have some cheap kood filters)
Posted 10/03/2014 - 14:01
Link
Beautiful and well executed
Posted 10/03/2014 - 14:20
Link
This is an example of why I think the whole cliché debate is completely sterile.
That scene won't look like that tomorrow, and it's a very peaceful, relaxing image that totally deserves to be.
If I had one teensy comment it would be that I think there's slightly too much foreground grass, which unbalances the whole slightly.
Other than that I like it very much.
I usually hate borders, but yours is unfussy, and the caption is pastel enough not to dominate and distract. So +1 there too
That scene won't look like that tomorrow, and it's a very peaceful, relaxing image that totally deserves to be.
If I had one teensy comment it would be that I think there's slightly too much foreground grass, which unbalances the whole slightly.
Other than that I like it very much.
I usually hate borders, but yours is unfussy, and the caption is pastel enough not to dominate and distract. So +1 there too
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 10/03/2014 - 15:24
Link
Yes, it works nicely. What about having the tree bang in the middle!
The ground is excellent - not so sure about the 'grad' look sky. Its a bit too tobacco for my liking (that is a cliche), and I think you need colder blues in the upper sky, as there's a seasonal mismatch between the frosty-looking ground and the rather summery sky tones.
The ground is excellent - not so sure about the 'grad' look sky. Its a bit too tobacco for my liking (that is a cliche), and I think you need colder blues in the upper sky, as there's a seasonal mismatch between the frosty-looking ground and the rather summery sky tones.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 10/03/2014 - 17:37
Link
LennyBloke wrote:
Light ND Grad and an upside down Warm Grad of some sort ?
Close! Actually used a 4 stop hard ND on the sky and a straw stripe on the horizon that Fiona spotted in a bargain bin at The Photography Show last week for £25, first time I've had a chance to try it out!
Light ND Grad and an upside down Warm Grad of some sort ?
Posted 10/03/2014 - 17:39
Link
Harlequin wrote:
Cliche or not, I like it. You even got the clouds to mae a channel 4 logo
Be interested to know the filters as it is one of the things I'm looking to upgrade (I only have some cheap kood filters)
Lol, didn't even notice that, could have been the fantastic four instead!Cliche or not, I like it. You even got the clouds to mae a channel 4 logo
Be interested to know the filters as it is one of the things I'm looking to upgrade (I only have some cheap kood filters)
Filters = 4 stop hard ND & a Straw Stripe.
Posted 10/03/2014 - 17:48
Link
ChrisA wrote:
This is an example of why I think the whole cliché debate is completely sterile.
That scene won't look like that tomorrow, and it's a very peaceful, relaxing image that totally deserves to be.
If I had one teensy comment it would be that I think there's slightly too much foreground grass, which unbalances the whole slightly.
Other than that I like it very much.
I usually hate borders, but yours is unfussy, and the caption is pastel enough not to dominate and distract. So +1 there too
You might be right about the foreground grass, still got lots to learn when it comes to landscapes & composition!This is an example of why I think the whole cliché debate is completely sterile.
That scene won't look like that tomorrow, and it's a very peaceful, relaxing image that totally deserves to be.
If I had one teensy comment it would be that I think there's slightly too much foreground grass, which unbalances the whole slightly.
Other than that I like it very much.
I usually hate borders, but yours is unfussy, and the caption is pastel enough not to dominate and distract. So +1 there too
Thanks for the feedback on the borders as it took a while to come up with something I was happy with.
Wanted to try and avoid the watermark on the image itself as I know everyone moans about it, whilst at the same time still 'putting my mark' on it. It's ended up being a good idea as it's the same image that is used on both Twitter & Facebook, my website & is how I will be printing them for sale in the gallery. Keeps a consistent look wherever it's used in web or print. Conveniently, as the high res versions are set up for 16 x 12 prints, the ratio (4:3) is spot on for viewing on the iPad where they are put into a portfolio too.
Posted 10/03/2014 - 18:04
Link
McGregNi wrote:
Yes, it works nicely. What about having the tree bang in the middle!
The ground is excellent - not so sure about the 'grad' look sky. Its a bit too tobacco for my liking (that is a cliche), and I think you need colder blues in the upper sky, as there's a seasonal mismatch between the frosty-looking ground and the rather summery sky tones.
Did do some shots with it in the middle, but having the council tower in the background shows that it's local!Yes, it works nicely. What about having the tree bang in the middle!
The ground is excellent - not so sure about the 'grad' look sky. Its a bit too tobacco for my liking (that is a cliche), and I think you need colder blues in the upper sky, as there's a seasonal mismatch between the frosty-looking ground and the rather summery sky tones.
Could you explain more what you mean about being 'too tobacco'? Have seen that these filters are available but in the Lee catalogue they are in the Autumn set to enhance browns and reds? The grad that I used is neutral so there shouldn't have been a colour cast and on the back of the camera it did look to give the best balanced exposure as I was almost shooting into the sun.
It doesn't show so well in the smaller image here but in the large file the seasonal mismatch is not as bad as it's more obvious that it's heavy dew and not frosty!
Posted 10/03/2014 - 18:07
Link
Maybe clone out the top of the post above the hedge, behind the tree and also the Channel 4 Logo in the sky
Everyone has their own view on the world through the lens.
I like it as it is, heralding a pleasant sunny day - nicely done.
Everyone has their own view on the world through the lens.
I like it as it is, heralding a pleasant sunny day - nicely done.
Regards
David
Retired at last - now all that time for photography - you would think: wink:
David
Retired at last - now all that time for photography - you would think: wink:
Posted 10/03/2014 - 18:57
Link
I wouldn't change anything either, I think we're too critical, or self critical, sometimes and should not keep looking for "improvements"
Having said that I do appreciate that people are just offering their personal preferences. What would be good to see is one photo offered up for Processing and to see the variation in results
Having said that I do appreciate that people are just offering their personal preferences. What would be good to see is one photo offered up for Processing and to see the variation in results
LennyBloke
Posted 10/03/2014 - 19:10
Link
Unlocker wrote:
.... Could you explain more what you mean about being 'too tobacco'?
Its just the impression of tone I get - looks a bit like a mild tobacco grad, which is usually used to enhance late summer kinds of skies. What is that 'straw stripe' you mentioned? Anyway, I just feel the slight tobacco tone is washing across the blue sky, which I feel should be cooler to match the scene better.
.... Could you explain more what you mean about being 'too tobacco'?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


3062 posts
18 years
Aylesbury,
Bucks.
2x Lee Filters were used on this shot, can you guess what they were?
Website・Blog・Gear・Twitter・Facebook