Summer Hay Bales

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 05/09/2019 - 20:20
The summer months are fading fast and Autumn feels as though its just around the corner, with this, the farmers have started the harvesting of the Hay and leaving the hay bales out in the field ready for collection.

Forgetting to photograph this each and every year I made a concerted effort not to this summer and made my way out in to the hay fields of Worcestershire to capture this seasonal activity.

With each passing day of the week just gone the fields containing the hay bales had begun to disappear as the farmers had started their collections. Working full time only provided an opportunity to shoot straight after work on my way home. I had identified several fields at the start of the week that would be suitable for a spot of hay bale photography, but by the time I actually managed to get out with the camera I was left with just one field remaining.

Sensing that time was not on my side I chanced my luck with the weather and the farmers in order to photograph the curious bales of hay dotted throughout the fields near to my home in Worcestershire. The light was poor and the weather although promising to start earlier in the day had turned into a dark and overcast evening.

Although my first attempt didn't quite go to plan a revisit the following day allowed me to capture the hay bales with the light of a warm summer sunset. The compositions were made even more interesting with the backdrop of Dunstall Castle set off in the distance.

Cheeky Midweek Video. Me trying to photograph Hay Bales.. Its harder than you think.

(YouTube - Like and Subscribe & Tell your friends)
YouTube: Photography Vlog
Facebook: Photography Page Weekly Updates and Musings
Twitter: Photography Mini Thoughts
Instagram: Yes, Here
Flickr: Yes Here

richandfleur

Link Posted 05/09/2019 - 20:22
Love the write up and image 👍🏻

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 05/09/2019 - 20:31
richandfleur wrote:
Love the write up and image 👍🏻

Thank you. I like to offer a little back ground info on my images and the reasoning behind them. Sometimes its a preconceived idea and others its quite a random affair.

08tiger

Link Posted 06/09/2019 - 07:17
That's a lovely shot.
C&C welcome.
Don.

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 06/09/2019 - 08:31
08tiger wrote:
That's a lovely shot.

Thank you.

Dorset_Mike

Link Posted 06/09/2019 - 17:08
Lovely indeed, and very old master-ish.
Regards,
Mike

Every day's a holiday!

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 06/09/2019 - 18:02
Dorset_Mike wrote:
Lovely indeed, and very old master-ish.

Thank you Mike. I do quite like Richard Wilson RA (1 August 1714 15 May 1782) work of the landscape, perhaps its enfusing with the modem craft

pschlute

Link Posted 06/09/2019 - 18:48
That is a lovely summer evening scene Geoff.

ps. best viewed in larger size on Geoff's Flickr page.
Peter

My Flickr page

Lubbyman

Link Posted 06/09/2019 - 21:51
Sometime everything comes together - light, sky, composition, opportunity - and this is one of those times.

For me, what lifts the picture to another level is the tree that protrudes above the horizon to right of centre. And thank goodness the bales hadn't been wrapped in black plastic!

Steve

geordie01

Link Posted 07/09/2019 - 17:43
That'a cracker

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 07/09/2019 - 21:05
pschlute wrote:
That is a lovely summer evening scene Geoff. ps. best viewed in larger size on Geoff's Flickr page.

Thank you, thats very of kind of you to say.

Lubbyman wrote:
Sometime everything comes together - light, sky, composition, opportunity - and this is one of those times.

For me, what lifts the picture to another level is the tree that protrudes above the horizon to right of centre. And thank goodness the bales hadn't been wrapped in black plastic!

Steve

Thank you Steve, yeah I was anxious that they would have been collected, during the day! I was quite chuffed to see them still in the field when I returned on the 2nd visit.

geordie01 wrote:
That'a cracker

Thank you Gordie!

Sry

Link Posted 08/09/2019 - 22:48
Lovely feeling in that photograph. Whenever I see hay bales I see photo opportunities, but haven't come up with anything quite as satisfying as this yet.

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 09/09/2019 - 10:06
Sry wrote:
Lovely feeling in that photograph. Whenever I see hay bales I see photo opportunities, but haven't come up with anything quite as satisfying as this yet.

Thank you Sry, determination to get out and get the shot I suppose. But I know what you mean, I have been procrastinating about this for the past 3 years lol. Finally this year (last month) I pulled my thumb out and got on with it
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.