Styles of Colour
Posted 20/12/2008 - 11:29
Link
Nice work John - I've not seen any Autochrome slides but the picture has quite a convincing "olde-worlde" feel to it. Would the colours have been quite so saturated though? I'm thinking in particular of the red dress and the green foliage on the left. Maybe the technology then was better than I give it credit for!
Joining the Q
Posted 20/12/2008 - 11:38
Link
I'm imagining here what a new Autochrome might look like. I don't know for sure because the ones we see can be quite faded, so I may or may not be wide of the mark.
Best regards, John
Posted 20/12/2008 - 12:46
Link
I don't know. Try googling for "autochrome" and see what you think.
Best regards, John
Posted 20/12/2008 - 13:21
Link
I think for a 100+ year old technology the level of noise looks pretty much spot-on, if anything it may even be a little too clean.
Joining the Q
Posted 20/12/2008 - 14:36
Link
I have been experimenting also, trying to replicate the 84 year old Saul Leiter's past work. He used out of date film and embraced the irregular color processing of the 40s & 50's. It's tricky but I do love the faded colours, I think it adds a quality and atmosphere that is subtle but effective.
My have a go attempt of a pic I took down St Ives :
[IMG]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/lillymermaid/IMGP9549copy.jpg[/IMG]
My have a go attempt of a pic I took down St Ives :
[IMG]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/lillymermaid/IMGP9549copy.jpg[/IMG]
Posted 20/12/2008 - 14:58
Link
Fascinating. I have now spent some time reading up on autochrome. Interesting stuff. Thank you.
Kris.
Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 20/12/2008 - 15:39
Link
Nice effect Lilly. It's interesting experimenting and trying to replicate old techniques, especially without having to get involved with various noxious chemicals to do it.
Best regards, John
Posted 20/12/2008 - 18:58
Link
Having read the article a few weeks ago in AP about Saul Leiter, I can see the likeness in your shot Lilly.
One of the original shots used in the article, taken through a window in, I think, Paris has the same muted colours you've achieved.
Nice conversion, I was questoining the over use of PS last week. Now I've seen how it can be used I will go away and try myself.
One of the original shots used in the article, taken through a window in, I think, Paris has the same muted colours you've achieved.
Nice conversion, I was questoining the over use of PS last week. Now I've seen how it can be used I will go away and try myself.
Cheers, HG
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
Posted 20/12/2008 - 21:33
Link
These links showing results from a different process of similar age might be of interest:
http://www.prokudin-gorsky.ru/index.shtml
http://sechtl-vosecek.ucw.cz/en/prokudin-gorsky/sever.html
http://www.prokudin-gorsky.ru/index.shtml
http://sechtl-vosecek.ucw.cz/en/prokudin-gorsky/sever.html
Posted 20/12/2008 - 23:30
Link
Very interesting material. There are lots of colour processes that are no longer used and some are capable of stunning results.
Best regards, John
Posted 21/12/2008 - 10:48
Link
The Autochrome was invented by the Frenchmen Louis and August Lumiere and one of the principle igredients of the plates was dyed potato starch!
The Edinburgh Photographic Society HAD a large very fine collecion from around 1905. I had borrowed some for use in a TV series I was making for the BBC on the history of photography when their premises were flooded and these unique photos were lost forever. The only ones remaining are the ones I had.
They are quite remarkably beautiful, much grainier than your picture John, but at a time when monochrome emulsions were getting faster and George Eastman had coined the phrase 'snap shot' this process was slow and entailed exposures almost as long as those in the earliest days. Poses reflected this but add to their dreamy romantic atmosphere.
Here are some from WW1, just over half way down the page.link
The Edinburgh Photographic Society HAD a large very fine collecion from around 1905. I had borrowed some for use in a TV series I was making for the BBC on the history of photography when their premises were flooded and these unique photos were lost forever. The only ones remaining are the ones I had.
They are quite remarkably beautiful, much grainier than your picture John, but at a time when monochrome emulsions were getting faster and George Eastman had coined the phrase 'snap shot' this process was slow and entailed exposures almost as long as those in the earliest days. Poses reflected this but add to their dreamy romantic atmosphere.
Here are some from WW1, just over half way down the page.link
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


24424 posts
24 years
Tyldesley,
Manchester
Autochrome is an early process (1900-ish) that uses starch grains to make up the image. The result is muted and grainy colour.
[IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/johnriley1uk/025-Haddon-Girl.jpg[/IMG]