Strapping Camera(s)

K30git

Link Posted 23/08/2013 - 20:19
Anyone feel the same as me; there are times when I don't want the neck/shoulder strap both for comfort and shooting low/high/angle convenience?

Seen vid on the net where people are strapless ie totally handheld but thats a step too far for me.

Any recommendations for a wrist strap arrangement where the DSLR is held in the shooting (assuming you are R Handed and the left supports) hand and the strap has a safety/no drop/control function?

Thanks

MattyH

Link Posted 23/08/2013 - 20:49
Never used a camera strap ever, I tend to find they get in the way, Hence why I like Pentax as they are easy to Carey around Sie to Its Compact size but with a good grip.

Also I dont like to see cameras hanging from people necks like you are an American tourist, but thats my strange personal view

sbrads

Link Posted 23/08/2013 - 21:43
I made a simple strong lanyard type of wrist strap for my K-30 after having one mishap with a dangling unused neck strap getting caught on something yanking the camera out of my hand. It's brilliantly effective, and I can just let the camera dangle, fingers hooked on the grip, safe in the knowledge if it were to slip then the wrist strap is there as insurance. The strap loop has to be just the right size so it's small enough to be safe but large enough to let fingers reach all controls.

swarf

Link Posted 23/08/2013 - 21:53
As per sbrads, except I use the standard neck-strap wrapped around my wrist several times. Once it's adjusted (which is a little fiddly) the camera hangs from my fingertips, but is securely attached to my wrist. I find that the width of the neck-strap makes it more comfortable than a lanyard around my wrist.
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

percy

Link Posted 23/08/2013 - 22:09
The Gordy wrist strap link works well, allowing you to hand hold the camera while acting as a safety measure in case you drop it. It's light and not bulky like a neck strap wrapped around your wrist.

I use the 'string' type, which doesn't get in the way and allows easy access to all the camera controls. I'd recommend the larger strap which is a looser fit and allows more freedom of movement. It does have an 'adjuster' on it that allows you to tighten the fit around your wrist.

It's not the cheapest, but I do find it's comfortable. Ordered mine from the US and it arrived fairly quickly.
Last Edited by percy on 23/08/2013 - 22:09

redbusa99

Link Posted 24/08/2013 - 08:29
i use a Black Rapid wrist strap all the time,adjustable and strong. left or right handed use
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr
Last Edited by redbusa99 on 24/08/2013 - 08:29

Eastridge

Link Posted 24/08/2013 - 09:15
I use a hand grip strap I got from e-bay and am very happy with it. Never had the neck strap on the k-x since I got it.

Looks like this one, but not the same seller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Grip-Strap-for-SLR-digital-camera-CANON-NIKON-/20...

There are plenty to choose from at very reasonable prices.
Sharon's: K-x, FA35/2, DA 18-250.Glen's: K10D, DA100 Macro, 55-300, Paragon 500, Silk Pro700 Tripod

sbrads

Link Posted 24/08/2013 - 21:41
Eastridge wrote:
I use a hand grip strap I got from e-bay and am very happy with it. Never had the neck strap on the k-x since I got it.

Looks like this one, but not the same seller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Grip-Strap-for-SLR-digital-camera-CANON-NIKON-/20...

There are plenty to choose from at very reasonable prices.

Yes, I thought of getting one of those but decided it would make it too clumsy to put the camera + prime into a jacket pocket which I can do with basically a bit of shoelace LOL as a lanyard.

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 24/08/2013 - 21:51
I hate a neck strap yet always used one out of habit, I suppose.

When I bought my K5 I couldn't face cluttering it up with one, getting in the way and hampering my use of that lovely rear screen. I attached a simple, thin lanyard type strap off an old film compact.

I wouldn't swing it around by the strap, not would I allow the camera to hang from my wrist, but I've tested it and it takes the weight of the K5.

It's there for added security more than anything else.

I removed the strap from my K10 but felt it needed a bit more "beef" so bought a special strap which attaches to the D ring and the tripod bush but it's more awkward to use and more bulky. It does, however, hold the camera very securely.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

YORKSBOY

Link Posted 25/08/2013 - 10:40
Hi

For what it's worth here are my thoughts

I've started to use an optech strap

http://optechusa.com/straps/utility-strap-sling.html

I found that conventional camera straps around the neck were very uncomfortable, tried this and really like it- easy to use camera etc.

But, some times a "full" strap gets in the way, so I use this

http://optechusa.com/straps/slr-wrist-strap.html

The connector stays on the camera, just click on either the wrist strap or full strap, depending on what I'm doing.

The wrist strap is really just for security, I find that whilst carrying I hold he camera by the grip.

I think that to use a strap or not is really down to individual preference and circumstances.

John

Gwyn

Link Posted 25/08/2013 - 14:50
I have tried a hand strap but since I take my camera when dog walking it proved less than practical.

I have now switched to a Luma-Labs Cinch sling from a OpTech neck strap. I have arthritis and the weight of the camera on my neck was getting to be very painful. The Cinch is just about perfect. I have a mark 1 Cinch, His Nibs the newer cheaper version. It is just as good, if not slightly better than mine!

Hardgravity

Link Posted 25/08/2013 - 19:37
I just wrap the shoulder strap a couple of times around my wrist, it acts as a wrist strap and can also be used on the shoulder!

I looked at expensive options but discovered the above method works just fine for me.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

greynolds999

Link Posted 27/08/2013 - 08:34
Gwyn wrote:
I have tried a hand strap but since I take my camera when dog walking it proved less than practical.

Buy a small saddle and stick the camera on the dog!

ButI also like Opteka - you can carry a very heavy camera on your shoulder in comfort without feeling like you're going to lose it and quickly remove the stap to make a mini hand strap.

Oddly, I find that short & light straps get in the way more than long & heavy ones.
My Photobucket

Father Ted

Link Posted 27/08/2013 - 10:24
I don't like neck straps, at all!
So, I came up with two solutions.
I made a sling, ( much cheaper than the shop bought ones ) and I got a wrist strap from ebay for about 10. It is similar to the one shown above, but has a Velcro strap which goes around the wrist and a buckle to secure it. I can then carry it "dangling" from my wrist with no worries about it falling off
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

giofi

Link Posted 27/08/2013 - 19:10
percy wrote:
The Gordy wrist strap link works well, allowing you to hand hold the camera while acting as a safety measure in case you drop it. It's light and not bulky like a neck strap wrapped around your wrist.

I use the 'string' type, which doesn't get in the way and allows easy access to all the camera controls. I'd recommend the larger strap which is a looser fit and allows more freedom of movement. It does have an 'adjuster' on it that allows you to tighten the fit around your wrist.

It's not the cheapest, but I do find it's comfortable. Ordered mine from the US and it arrived fairly quickly.

I saw the Gordy, but then I found (and ordered) this.

Hand made in the UK and very reasonably priced.
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.