Storage & Back-up
Posted 20/03/2009 - 11:32
Link
To follow on from Chris, I tend to archive in both RAW and JPEG in a named, dated folder.
That way I can tell where and when the shots were taken.
For clarity I also record in a word doc in the same folder the specific time/dates relevant to the group.
This all gets saved on Internal/external HDDs and CD/DVDs.
Can't be too careful!
That way I can tell where and when the shots were taken.
For clarity I also record in a word doc in the same folder the specific time/dates relevant to the group.
This all gets saved on Internal/external HDDs and CD/DVDs.
Can't be too careful!
Cheers, HG
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
Posted 20/03/2009 - 12:08
Link
Stress. Decision paralysis. What do I do to make sure my beloved photos are safe from mishap and calamity?? Like everyone else, I hold multiple copies on internal and external drives with DVD backups too. Some are held in cyberspace but the point I'm going to make is - no matter how careful we are, who knows apart from yourself, where the pictures are??
Yes okay, they're on the hard drive but will those who want to retrieve them, if god forbid you're not around, know where to look? Have you given them the 'route map'?
All very well having everything on Flickr or some other online database but would your nearest and dearest know your logon details?
Just a thought
Yes okay, they're on the hard drive but will those who want to retrieve them, if god forbid you're not around, know where to look? Have you given them the 'route map'?
All very well having everything on Flickr or some other online database but would your nearest and dearest know your logon details?
Just a thought
K10D with Grip, 28mm,50mm,135mm,18-55,18-200,70-300mm, Meade 2000mm catadioptric, dodgy tripod and luck
Posted 20/03/2009 - 12:20
Link
Copying the picture folder from my home PC to my office laptop, then copying both machines to external drives should provide enough security.
Especially since the external drives are always kept at two different locations.
The external drives are used for backup only, hence they have a very low runtime and should last for ever.
Especially since the external drives are always kept at two different locations.
The external drives are used for backup only, hence they have a very low runtime and should last for ever.
Best regards
Terry
K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Terry
K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Posted 20/03/2009 - 12:51
Link
I save mine firstly to the internal drive on my pooter, then to an external drive, then to CD/DVD
Then, and I bet no-one else does this, maybe because I am slightly crazy, I make another copy of the CD/DVD and send or hand it to my mother and father inlaw. Sounds mad but there are reasons.
1. If there was a fire then both the hard drive and the external drive could be destroyed
2. As the images are mainly portraits and weddings of my clients, I don't ever want to lose them so I back them up 3 times.
Yes I could store online but that's where I get paranoid about servers going down and the whole lot getting lost
Does anyone else share the same insanity/paranoia as me
Then, and I bet no-one else does this, maybe because I am slightly crazy, I make another copy of the CD/DVD and send or hand it to my mother and father inlaw. Sounds mad but there are reasons.
1. If there was a fire then both the hard drive and the external drive could be destroyed
2. As the images are mainly portraits and weddings of my clients, I don't ever want to lose them so I back them up 3 times.
Yes I could store online but that's where I get paranoid about servers going down and the whole lot getting lost
Does anyone else share the same insanity/paranoia as me
Posted 20/03/2009 - 13:15
Link
Mr Bug wrote:
Does anyone else share the same insanity/paranoia as me
I would do if I took such important pictures - then an off site backup would be important. As well as the fire risk, external hard drives are popular with burglars - a popular item to easily sell down the pub.
Does anyone else share the same insanity/paranoia as me
~Pete
Posted 20/03/2009 - 13:22
Link
iceblinker wrote:
My back up drives are kept in a safe. A small water and fireproof safe wont cost any more than the drive itself.Mr Bug wrote:
Does anyone else share the same insanity/paranoia as me
I would do if I took such important pictures - then an off site backup would be important. As well as the fire risk, external hard drives are popular with burglars - a popular item to easily sell down the pub.Does anyone else share the same insanity/paranoia as me
Having said that, my negative files aren't protected at all
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 20/03/2009 - 15:01
Link
I am more paranoid about the site record photos (dull pictures of mud) than my carefully crafted "nice" photos. The former I have been paid to produce (in a round about way), the latter only I would cry...
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 20/03/2009 - 21:06
Link
Quote:
Does anyone else share the same insanity/paranoia as me
NIck blurp yargh!!! Does anyone else share the same insanity/paranoia as me
I hadn't thought of keeping a set 'off site' so to speak, maybe that is paranoid (cue Black Sabbath!!!) but a damn good idea!
Cheers, HG
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


7676 posts
18 years
Hertfordshire,
mostly.
With metadata, we are all familiar with the EXIF information, and many of us add in extras such as copyright info when we download the files (I have a standard metadata template in lightroom) but how many of us really add in useful information such as where the photograph was taken and what it is of? I have been taking digital photos since 2002 using various P&S but since getting the K10D a year and a half ago the number of files I have has gone up enormously. Most are still PEFs, few have much metadata... (and most should be deleted!)
Cheers, Kris.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.