Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Stacked or Not Stacked?

Lubbyman
Posted 01/11/2021 - 21:51 Link
Mrs. L. spotted a small (2cm long), inconspicuous flower on the 'string of hearts' plant that dangles delicately near the front door. She said that it was hard enough to see it, getting a decent photo would be even more difficult. So... a challenge that couldn't be ignored! The plant had to stay in place, but the difficulties of the location and a soft carpet under the tripod were met head on and a reasonable focus stack was obtained.

However, is a single shot better than a stack for this small flower? Here is a single shot followed by the stack. Which do you prefer and why?

Taken with K3 + Sigma 70mm macro, all at f4.

1. Single shot
Comment Image

2. Stack
Comment Image

Steve
Sry
Posted 01/11/2021 - 22:06 Link
I like them both Steve, with, perhaps, a slight preference for the stacked version - the flower itself benefits greatly from the process, while the leaves still retain some oof blur. Would it be possible to combine the stacked flower with a single shot of the leaves/branch?
davidwozhere
Posted 02/11/2021 - 00:17 Link
A study of something this tiny generally benefits from being isolated and catching as much detail as possible. f4 effectively isolates it but limits the detail. The stack compensates for that with comprehensive detail capture.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
MrB
Posted 02/11/2021 - 06:29 Link
I'm enjoying the detail of the stacked flower.

[On a different aspect, by a graduated brightening I would make a bit more visible the parts of the plant around where the flower is attached.]

Philip
Antony
Posted 02/11/2021 - 21:14 Link
Definitely the stacked one for me. a lovely portrait, I like the dark background.
pschlute
Posted 03/11/2021 - 13:16 Link
Antony wrote:
Definitely the stacked one for me. a lovely portrait, I like the dark background.

+1
cardiffgareth
Posted 07/11/2021 - 21:50 Link
Stacked for me also
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.