Squatters in our house .....

Mike-P
Posted 21/05/2008 - 20:16 Link
Hmmm, that was as close as I dare get .. may try nearer tomorrow but as I was balancing on a step ladder I may not bother ....

Comment Image
Unlocker
Posted 21/05/2008 - 21:01 Link
Fantastic shot, got the main wasps sharply in focus, colours on them are strong, and no flash reflection thats obtrusive.

You're certainly getting the hang of it now, and good luck with getting in closer!
chirpy
Posted 21/05/2008 - 23:19 Link
That's fantastic! Are you going to allow them to build their nest or get it removed? I know what I'd do
Clarky
Posted 22/05/2008 - 03:51 Link
great shot, good sharpness, i love the colours, Are these Hornets or Wasps :
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Mike-P
Posted 22/05/2008 - 10:03 Link
I think they are wasps.
The nest is only the size of a ping pong ball so I will probably just spray it later today before they get too busy.
Clarky
Posted 22/05/2008 - 10:26 Link
Quote:
I think they are wasps.
The nest is only the size of a ping pong ball so I will probably just spray it later today before they get too busy.
Nooooooooooooooooooo Dont kill them, just remove the nest if its in the way. They will re-build it elsewhere.

You can't take advantage of their beauty by photographing them and then turn around and kill them when you have finished Its just not right.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Mike-P
Posted 22/05/2008 - 10:42 Link
Quote:

Nooooooooooooooooooo Dont kill them, just remove the nest if its in the way. They will re-build it elsewhere.

You can't take advantage of their beauty by photographing them and then turn around and kill them when you have finished Its just not right.
Fair enough, tell me how to remove it without getting stung (I am allergic to wasp/bee stings) and I will get it sorted.
Clarky
Posted 22/05/2008 - 11:08 Link
Quote:
Clarky wrote:

Nooooooooooooooooooo Dont kill them, just remove the nest if its in the way. They will re-build it elsewhere.

You can't take advantage of their beauty by photographing them and then turn around and kill them when you have finished Its just not right.
Fair enough, tell me how to remove it without getting stung (I am allergic to wasp/bee stings) and I will get it sorted.
Wait until they are away from the nest feeding. Then just knock the nest off and give the area a squirt of surface surface spray they won't come back.
I have done it dozens of times and never been stung.
I also have 2 active wasp nests in my yard and never had a problem with them. They won't hurt you unless your bothering them.

But if you are allergic to them get someone else to do it. But in saying that your allergy didn't stop you getting up close to photograph them :
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Mike-P
Posted 22/05/2008 - 11:24 Link
Quote:
[

But if you are allergic to them get someone else to do it. But in saying that your allergy didn't stop you getting up close to photograph them :
Actually I wasnt THAT close, the shot was taken with a Tamron 28-300mm at full stretch and then cropped by about 50%.
Clarky
Posted 22/05/2008 - 11:37 Link
Quote:
Clarky wrote:
[

But if you are allergic to them get someone else to do it. But in saying that your allergy didn't stop you getting up close to photograph them :
Actually I wasnt THAT close, the shot was taken with a Tamron 28-300mm at full stretch and then cropped by about 50%.
Pretty sharp shot with that lens

Just knock it off with a broom handle or something. Trust me they won't come swarming at you looking for blood
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Daniel Bridge
Posted 22/05/2008 - 22:27 Link
Quote:
Trust me they won't come swarming at you looking for blood
Sockpuppet's been pretty quiet since then...

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Mike-P
Posted 22/05/2008 - 22:59 Link
Quote:

Sockpuppet's been pretty quiet since then...

Dan
Still plucking up courage to go and move it
Daniel Bridge
Posted 22/05/2008 - 23:45 Link
That's okay then.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
ChrisA
Posted 22/05/2008 - 23:54 Link
Quote:
Daniel Bridge wrote:

Sockpuppet's been pretty quiet since then...

Dan
Still plucking up courage to go and move it
Petrol and matches is what you need.
Clarky
Posted 23/05/2008 - 02:17 Link
Quote:
sockpuppet wrote:
Quote:

Sockpuppet's been pretty quiet since then...

Dan
Still plucking up courage to go and move it
Petrol and matches is what you need.
Its not bothersome neighbours we are talking about here, Its a wasps nest.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo