split prism/microprism
Posted 25/08/2013 - 01:04
Link
No it won't affect autofocus as the AF is either split down to the AF snesor in the bottom of the camera or straight to Sensor for live view AF.
I had a split prism AF screen on my old pentax film SLR and loved it.
You might et some metering escripenciues by modifying a DSLR with one as metering is done the other side of the screen.
I think any screen is going to be dim with lens of max aperture f8
I had a split prism AF screen on my old pentax film SLR and loved it.
You might et some metering escripenciues by modifying a DSLR with one as metering is done the other side of the screen.
I think any screen is going to be dim with lens of max aperture f8
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 25/08/2013 - 12:17
Link
There is a good 3rd party screen from www.focusingscreen.com a Taiwanese company that we in Singapore buy to use with our K5/K5II/K5IIs/K30s etc and it is called the EE S type screen. Very bright for manual lenses.
I used it on my K5 but decided not to use it on the K30.
http://www.focusingscreen.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_113&products_id=1098
I used it on my K5 but decided not to use it on the K30.
http://www.focusingscreen.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_113&products_id=1098
K1/K3, DA*16-50mm F2.8, FA 31mm F1.8, FA43mm F1.9 Limited, FA77mm F1.8 Limited, SMC Pentax K 85mm F1.8, DA18-135mm F3.5-5.6, FA*28-70mm F1.8, FA*200mm F1.8
Posted 25/08/2013 - 13:46
Link
I have a Katzeye screen - they are excellent but not a cheap option. There are a number of options that you can include (focussing marks, grid, etc) and their "Optibrite" coating is very good at keeping the viewfinder very nice and bright.
As noted above, no impact on autofocus performance, although you may need to adjust exposures a little (I've not had issues with mine so far).
No need to worry about use stopping down. The lens will remain wide open unless you use the depth of field preview or press the green button (which only stops down for an instant) in order to get the camera to set the right exposure.
Best wishes,
Jon
As noted above, no impact on autofocus performance, although you may need to adjust exposures a little (I've not had issues with mine so far).
No need to worry about use stopping down. The lens will remain wide open unless you use the depth of field preview or press the green button (which only stops down for an instant) in order to get the camera to set the right exposure.
Best wishes,
Jon
Posted 28/08/2013 - 14:28
Link
I bought a Katzeye screen about a month ago. It was OK, but the actual prism ring is somewhat annoying. So I took it out again and put my existing screen (K5) back again.
If I could get a screen without the prism ring, but with only the split part, I would buy this. As it was, it seemed a bit of a waste of money.
Regards, Horst
If I could get a screen without the prism ring, but with only the split part, I would buy this. As it was, it seemed a bit of a waste of money.
Regards, Horst
Posted 28/08/2013 - 14:35
Link
Ironically, I never used the split image with my film cameras, preferring the general ground glass area of the screen. The advantage has been that current plain screens suit me very well.
Best regards, John
Posted 28/08/2013 - 18:51
Link
I had a KatzEye screen (split prism and ring) for my K20 and it functioned very well apart from affecting metering on one of the modes (I forget which). With the K5 I trust the autofocus more, so have kept the original screen; on the rare occasions when I focus manually it seems easier than with the K20's original screen.
Regards,
Stan
Regards,
Stan
K5IIs, K10D & ME Super with FA24-90, DA16-85, DA55-300, misc old primes; Olympus EM10 & Panasonic LX15.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


441 posts
13 years
also does the screen affect autofocus in any way?
my main concern is low light shooting.this screen is on a k7
Regards
Nadeem