Spinnaker Tower Fireworks
Posted 02/11/2014 - 16:50
Link
No 2 is a brilliant effect! Almost looks like 'shutter drag'. I know you wanted to keep the reference point of the tower there, but I do feel the fireworks lose some impact as a result, and it would be better to crop in more, or have shot zoomed in more.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 02/11/2014 - 16:58
Link
McGregNi wrote:
No 2 is a brilliant effect! Almost looks like 'shutter drag'. I know you wanted to keep the reference point of the tower there, but I do feel the fireworks lose some impact as a result, and it would be better to crop in more, or have shot zoomed in more.
Thanks, it was my first time at this event and I really wanted the Spinnaker Tower in the shot as well as the silhouettes of the spectators.No 2 is a brilliant effect! Almost looks like 'shutter drag'. I know you wanted to keep the reference point of the tower there, but I do feel the fireworks lose some impact as a result, and it would be better to crop in more, or have shot zoomed in more.
Obviously you have to make your decisions beforehand and I should have used a 24mm instead of the 35. I'll get my positioning better next year. Might have to try and get underneath the tower.
Posted 02/11/2014 - 17:04
Link
Yes, I'm sure that would work well .. anyway, its always good to revisit places and events taking different lenses, you get very different perspectives.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 02/11/2014 - 17:07
Link
McGregNi wrote:
Yes, I'm sure that would work well .. anyway, its always good to revisit places and events taking different lenses, you get very different perspectives.
Agreed.
Yes, I'm sure that would work well .. anyway, its always good to revisit places and events taking different lenses, you get very different perspectives.
Posted 02/11/2014 - 18:05
Link
Really good, I like those...especially No.2
Karlo
Karlo
Posted 02/11/2014 - 18:43
Link
stubyles wrote:
and I really wanted the Spinnaker Tower in the shot as well as the silhouettes of the spectators.
The extra interest makes the shots, I think - I've fiddled with firework shots and because of the location of our local displays, a decent reference landmark just isn't there. So having something like this makes a big difference I think. Lovely shots. and I really wanted the Spinnaker Tower in the shot as well as the silhouettes of the spectators.
If your experience is like mine, it'll be a challenge to get much different next year, be interesting to see then.
1, 4 and 5 are my favourites there I think - I had a similar effect as 2 on some of mine due to the wind on the night, and personally I prefer the clearer 'light track' effect when that isn't there.
Real name: Mike Edwards. My homage to seventies Vauxhalls: www.firenza.net
Camera - Pentax Kx, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 500mm Tamron mirror
Camera - Pentax Kx, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 500mm Tamron mirror
Posted 02/11/2014 - 19:26
Link
1stEverPentax wrote:
Really good, I like those...especially No.2
Karlo
Thanks, I try.
Really good, I like those...especially No.2
Karlo
Posted 02/11/2014 - 19:38
Link
droopsnoot wrote:
If your experience is like mine, it'll be a challenge to get much different next year, be interesting to see then.
1, 4 and 5 are my favourites there I think - I had a similar effect as 2 on some of mine due to the wind on the night, and personally I prefer the clearer 'light track' effect when that isn't there.
That was my experience too, hence the Tower.stubyles wrote:
and I really wanted the Spinnaker Tower in the shot as well as the silhouettes of the spectators.
The extra interest makes the shots, I think - I've fiddled with firework shots and because of the location of our local displays, a decent reference landmark just isn't there. So having something like this makes a big difference I think. Lovely shots. and I really wanted the Spinnaker Tower in the shot as well as the silhouettes of the spectators.
If your experience is like mine, it'll be a challenge to get much different next year, be interesting to see then.
1, 4 and 5 are my favourites there I think - I had a similar effect as 2 on some of mine due to the wind on the night, and personally I prefer the clearer 'light track' effect when that isn't there.
The good thing about this venue is the different possibilities to position the camera, I was across the harbour this year but there is plenty of ground around the tower to try. I'll find out next year if they can deliver more interesting images.
I prefer the "Cleaner" ones too. They are the best timed shots.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


12 posts
11 years
Taken from Gosport Ferry across the water to Gunwharf Quays.