Southwell Minster

RichardC

Link Posted 29/04/2009 - 23:32
Here are a couple of pictures of Southwell Minster (near Newark). I reckon it is a bit of a hidden gem for people that don't know the area. C&C would be appreciated, something about the last one doesn't quite look right but I can't put my finger on it.

All taken on K20D with 16-45mm lens

Malo1961

Link Posted 30/04/2009 - 08:01
Hi Richard,
I like nr. 1 and 3 the most.

Nr. 1 could use a bit work on the highlights(towers) and shadows(gate) to balance the shot a bit. But it is difficult with such a large contrast range.
It is manageable in PP.

Nr.3 shows the greatness of the church. It just needs more space to breath at the top (more sky) and bottom (beneath window).
Now it has a very enclosed feeling which is opposite to what you want to show. At least....that is what I think, you wanted to show.
Adding extra sky at the top is fairly easy.......PP wise. Bottom line, you should have stepped back a bit more.

HTH,
Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

womble

Link Posted 30/04/2009 - 14:37
Malo1961 wrote:

Nr. 1 could use a bit work on the highlights(towers) and shadows(gate) to balance the shot a bit. But it is difficult with such a large contrast range.
It is manageable in PP.

I find the shadow/highlight adjustment layer IN CS3 sometimes works a stunning treat, and sometimes just looks plain odd, but it is always a good place to start for that sort of issue.

Nice shots though, and No 1 would be my favourite once the hightlight/shadow balance is resolved a little.

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

RichardC

Link Posted 02/05/2009 - 14:06
I'll have a go balancing out the shadow/highlight and adding some sky to no 3. I don't have Photoshop, I'll try the shadow/highlight tool in rawtherapee and maybe look for something similar in GIMP.

Thanks,

Richard
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.