Southend Beach

rustytheclown

Link Posted 28/12/2010 - 19:09
Took the dog for a walk along the beach in the fog today. Here are a few of my pics for yout C&C's please.

Regards
Russ.

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs"
Ansel Adams

Frogfish

Link Posted 28/12/2010 - 19:32
I think it would be very difficult for any photographer / camera / lense to shine in those conditions !

Hope to see similar subjects once the fog lifts !
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0

matwhittington

Link Posted 28/12/2010 - 20:33
Hello Russ. I reckon the last pic in this set could be a bit of a cracker! I like the way the pier heads away into the mist and disappears, whilst there is a bit of darker structure in the foreground, with some groovy looking reflections. My suggestion would be to straighten it, up the contrast and the brightness, and then tweak with levels or curves to taste. Might look cool in black and white as well - definitely worth a bit of playing with I think!

Regards
Mat W

My Flickr: link

techno-terminator

Link Posted 28/12/2010 - 20:57
Oh dear - more memories of my childhood

A trip down the pier every school holiday - walk down and the train back .

The shingle beach
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

rustytheclown

Link Posted 29/12/2010 - 08:24
Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.
Firstly want to say that Southend is much more interesting photographically on a day like this than in the sunshine.
Gareth, hello and thanks for the work you done on my pics. Not sure that I agree they all look better in mono but interesting to see the results. I will definately check my sensor!
The last one of the pier is my favourite too, I see now from Gareths version that it did need straightening.
Glasgow to Southend was a long way to go for a day out wasn't it?Yes it was always walk out and train back, the train was free for the return journey.
Regards
Russ.

Ansel Adams

techno-terminator

Link Posted 29/12/2010 - 08:32
You are talking to someone - born in Yorkshire moved to Essex in 1947 !! Left there in 1964 for Birmingham , then Glasgow the following year hence I have curious memories of varying areas in my long forgotten youth .

I was never given a trip on the Steamers from the pier though - weren't they the Royal Daffodil and the Albert [ both names just jumped out of my memory - may not be accurate ] but they did cruises from the end of the Pier I think.

thoughton

Link Posted 29/12/2010 - 11:10
A decent set given the terrible light Agree with most of the comments above, they all seem a bit underexposed and need some adjustments to contrast, brightness and curves. I also agree with Mat the last one holds the most promise.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Last Edited by thoughton on 29/12/2010 - 11:11

Helpful

rustytheclown

Link Posted 29/12/2010 - 14:03
techno-terminator wrote:
You are talking to someone - born in Yorkshire moved to Essex in 1947 !! Left there in 1964 for Birmingham , then Glasgow the following year hence I have curious memories of varying areas in my long forgotten youth .

I was never given a trip on the Steamers from the pier though - weren't they the Royal Daffodil and the Albert [ both names just jumped out of my memory - may not be accurate ] but they did cruises from the end of the Pier I think.

Been around a bit then
I was never lucky enough to go on the steamers either. Living in London at the time a day to Southend was a real treat.We do sometimes still get a visit from the Waverley, which I believe was an old Clyde steamer.
Regards
Russ.

Ansel Adams

rustytheclown

Link Posted 29/12/2010 - 14:05
thoughton wrote:
A decent set given the terrible light Agree with most of the comments above, they all seem a bit underexposed and need some adjustments to contrast, brightness and curves. I also agree with Mat the last one holds the most promise.

Thanks Tim,I have boosted up the exposue contrast etc. on these but wanted to try and retain the mood of the day so didn't want to overdo it, but judging by yours and the other comments I have underdone it!
Regards
Russ.

Ansel Adams

techno-terminator

Link Posted 29/12/2010 - 15:07
Quote:

Been around a bit then
I was never lucky enough to go on the steamers either. Living in London at the time a day to Southend was a real treat.We do sometimes still get a visit from the Waverley, which I believe was an old Clyde steamer.

Russ - now now - be nice about the Waverley - last sea going paddle steamer I believe

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 29/12/2010 - 19:11
Yes, it's all beeen said ,really. Great potential, difficult conditions, contrast a bit flat. I'd probably crop the blue boat so that it was square. Gareth's conversions show how often mono tones can rescue this type of image.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

mowog

Link Posted 29/12/2010 - 20:28
With the exception of the second one, they are all fine images.
I prefer the colour versions to the monochrome. Odd, as I almost always prefer b&w to colour.
I particularly like the blue boat. It's the colour that makes the shot. It has a nice pastelly, impressionistic, look.
Long ago, there was an 800ASA slide film made by Scotch, that gave a very similar result, and was particularly suited to scenes like these.

Techno..

I hate to think what kind of accent you have, after all that moving about!
Perhaps something like:

" Give oever, tha cheeky bogger! I 'aint never 'eard nuffin' ruder, Oi 'av a loovlay accint... Ach, away Mawag an boil ye heed, ya choob!"
No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.

Mowog.

techno-terminator

Link Posted 29/12/2010 - 21:22
Well - if you come up for the Glasgow Meet you've a chance of finding out

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.