South Kensington

McGregNi

Link Posted 29/05/2014 - 00:31
This series was shot in a 'walkabout' approach (out looking for more strangers in shop windows ) early evening. I want to present the area in a series of 'snapshot' views, looking this way then that, to give a quick overview of the variety and extremes on display.

I was also putting into practice my theories on exposure techniques, as detailed on here recently, by using careful metering choices on midtones & highlights to create exposures that bring out the deeper tones and emphasize shapes and contrasts more. As well with the final images of the Brompton Oratory I took two radically different metering approaches to make a high key & low key presentation for variety - (the images were made in the same lighting).

All with the K7 handheld, mostly with the Tamron Adaptall 135mm f2.8, and some (the Victoria & Albert museum) with the Pentax 28mm f2.8 & 2x teleconverter (giving 56mm).

1. Michelin Man

2. Victoria & Albert Museum

3. GOLD FERRARI!

10. Bela Bartok

13. Brompton Oratory

Thanks for viewing and for all your impressions and thoughts.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Gravelrash

Link Posted 29/05/2014 - 00:44
Well I think you have stretched your imagination a little Nigel and it has worked for me. Your little exposure theory seems to work for me too. Maybe one of the Ferrari would have been enough but it obviously got your attention.

11 is my favourite, the angled shots of architecture I like, the last two are under and over exposed to no obvious benefit.

All in all I see your pictures becoming much more pleasing to my eye. Nice set, well done, bin the last two
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?

redbusa99

Link Posted 29/05/2014 - 09:36
i think you achieved what you set out to do re exposures on most, as a set of pictures the sky colour in 1, 6,and 13 looks a bit green, the branch in 2 and 5 i find a big distraction, the first Ferrari is my favourite i also like the detail in 14 but would like to have seen the tops of the domes and perhaps cropped to see the bottom of the 3 facing windows. the statue shots, the low key i find too underexposed to be able to get anything from as a viewer. the K7 is working well though, i sometimes wonder why i went to a K5 from K7, just seemed the thing to do at the time.
odd lens or 2

Flickr

McGregNi

Link Posted 29/05/2014 - 12:12
redbusa99 wrote:
... the K7 is working well though, i sometimes wonder why i went to a K5 from K7....

Gee thanks!, that sounds like one of those 'you must have a very good camera' type of comments we all LOVE to hear

Its true of course - the K7 is a supurb image making machine, especially in the right h..... You're right as well about the K5 too - I mean, both cameras look the same and they've got exactly the same buttons and levers!

Thanks for you photo feedback, and Steve above also, I appreciate the encouragement and suggestions ... you know I won't 'bin' those last two!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Gravelrash

Link Posted 29/05/2014 - 12:18
I look forward to the HDR Nigel haha

P.S. I personally love the first one too. The more I look the more I like. Very Art Deco, the jaunty angle suits it and an interesting sky as backdrop all work well to create a picture I could hang on a wall.
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
Last Edited by Gravelrash on 29/05/2014 - 12:22

McGregNi

Link Posted 29/05/2014 - 18:31
Gravelrash wrote:
... I personally love the first one too. The more I look the more I like. Very Art Deco, the jaunty angle suits it and an interesting sky as backdrop all work well to create a picture I could hang on a wall.

Gravel, thats very kind, I appreciate that. I'll reserve you a copy when I get it done!

redbusa99

Link Posted 29/05/2014 - 18:38
it was not meant as that Nigel, more an endorsement of what you and it as a partnership have achieved given the bad press it was subjected to.
odd lens or 2

Flickr

Gamka

Link Posted 29/05/2014 - 18:53
The "Blue Peter Car" - it is covered in sticky-back plastic or vinyl! And is cheap and tacky looking. Your pictures make it look better than it really is (assuming there is only the one).

McGregNi

Link Posted 29/05/2014 - 20:30
redbusa99 wrote:
it was not meant as that Nigel, more an endorsement of what you and it as a partnership have achieved given the bad press it was subjected to.

Thanks, a happy partnership indeed! I wasn't 'around' back in 2009, but I am puzzled by the K7's less than enthusiastic reception. Maybe it was a case that it didn't give people everything they were hoping for at the time? However, the new body style offered plenty to consider, an alternative to the K20 and an obvious upgrade for many I'd have thought? Maybe not?

In any case, it offered extraordinary value for me and a route into high quality DSLR photography, and continues to offer so much. A fantastic tool that has got great potential to offer for a long time to come.

Thanks Gamka ... there was just one gold Ferrari - it was attracting plenty of attention, the K7 was massively outnumbered by the flood of camera - phones snapping it around me ... what was funny was how their owners seemed to automatically stand aside for me but not really for each other - the K7 with BG4 grip and the old Tamron prime must have made me look very serious!
Last Edited by McGregNi on 29/05/2014 - 20:31

davidstorm

Link Posted 29/05/2014 - 21:21
These are so much more successful than your landscapes Nigel, they have depth and focal points, the subjects fill the frame well and the processing is vibrant.

Well done, more like these please.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

McBrian

Link Posted 29/05/2014 - 21:31
A lovely set Nigel.

Numbers 1 through 9 and 12 are superb, nice and vibrant, beautifully sharp and contrasty without being overly so although #1 and #5 may be a tad overly tilted.

Not to keen on 10, 11 and 13, bit dark,(need to do some shadow lifting)and 14 looks over exposed.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

bforbes

Link Posted 29/05/2014 - 21:35
I'm particularly impressed with the car shots. But can't get my head round the falling down buildings.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

CMW

Link Posted 29/05/2014 - 23:16
Your instinct to go for details has paid off. For my taste, too many of your buildings have problems with subsidence. The technique is easily overdone. The first of the Ferrari shots in particular is arresting. I'm not quite sold on the exposure for Bartok: it has suppressed detail. The exposure on 13 might have worked if the sun had also caught the figure on the pedestal ... the underexposure elsewhere wouldn't then have seemed odd.

As a group, not as inventive as your wooden tops (which I admired as a concept), but there's none the less plenty of interest here.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography

McGregNi

Link Posted 30/05/2014 - 12:10
McBrian wrote:
A lovely set Nigel.

Numbers 1 through 9 and 12 are superb, nice and vibrant, beautifully sharp and contrasty without being overly so although #1 and #5 may be a tad overly tilted.

Not to keen on 10, 11 and 13, bit dark,(need to do some shadow lifting)and 14 looks over exposed.

Thankyou Brian, I appreciate your feedback ... the tilting angles on the Michelin Building & Victoria & Albert Musuem have raised doubts. Truth is I did it for both practical & 'artistic' reasons ... there was a fair bit of superfluous stuff around the base of the tower and I was stuck in a small gardens squeezed on the roadside, so I went for the creative options to allow more of the tower in the frame. I will try some straighter ones with a wider lens from another spot sometimes.

The Bartok exposure was deliberate to let the broody nature of the statue come through, and the Brompton Oratory shots were really to show the extremes of exposure control available even when shooting in the same light. I'll try another version with a more balanced brightness as well.

Thanks David & Barrie also ... glad you liked them David, and the car shots Barrie CMW, I appreciate your points there. As I've said I was experimenting with exposure & metering techniques. I was amazed at the extreme variation available from a single position in the same lighting (as in the Brompton Oratory shots), and all within the limits of handholding techniques-wise.

Its interesting that the last one appears 'overexposed' - its not of course, the midtones are only about a stop or 2 above 50% (on my exposure scale), not much more than white skin should be. But the range is more compressed towards the upper end as I was going for a high-key result - the only real shadow is around the tree in the left corner and a little bit under the gables and underhangs. Maybe it would be better with some shadow boosting to give more depth?
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.