South Downs Way
Posted 08/08/2013 - 13:31
Link
Really like these Russ, nice early morning light, which alas I seldom catch in the lakes, as the first bus to there doesn't leave town until 9A.M.
Cheers Jules...
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Posted 08/08/2013 - 14:02
Link
Thanks Jules. Almost missed it myself as i turned off the alarm and went back to sleep. Hence missing the sunrise itself.
Posted 08/08/2013 - 14:46
Link
Thanks Mike. I really need to learn the art of post processing. I'm sure there's more i can get out of the photos.
Also, would you know what's causing a rainbow/stripe effect in the sky on some of the photos?
Also, would you know what's causing a rainbow/stripe effect in the sky on some of the photos?
Posted 08/08/2013 - 14:57
Link
Hope you don't mind me jumping in, but I like your atmospheric shots - they capture the feel of these hills at this time of year beautifully.
I noticed the banding in the skys, and in my experience this can start to creep in once JPEG compression gets higher. I have noticed on my shots that reducing the compression (ie increasing the saved file size) helps.
I noticed the banding in the skys, and in my experience this can start to creep in once JPEG compression gets higher. I have noticed on my shots that reducing the compression (ie increasing the saved file size) helps.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 08/08/2013 - 16:39
Link
Many thanks Nigel. I converted these from RAW to jpg at work where i used a free RAW viewer. But there is options when saving, so i guess its applying too much compression. Will have a look at home, do it properly with PS Elements.
btw great photos in your album
btw great photos in your album
Posted 08/08/2013 - 18:47
Link
Cheers ! I use PS Elements to save out my JPEGs, often from TIFFs which can be up to 70-80 mb. In Elements I use the Save for Web dialogue to choose an exact file size. I used to routinely size everything to 1mb, but after seeing the banding in skies I experimented and found that it usually disappears once the files size reaches 2 or 2.5 mb.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 08/08/2013 - 19:54
Link
The shadow areas are a bit too unnaturally dark for my taste in the first two, Russ, but I really like #4 for the interesting effect in the foreground cereal, and #5 for the beautiful spider's web.
Philip
Philip
Posted 08/08/2013 - 19:55
Link
Right okay i'll give that a try in a sec, see if it gets rid of the banding. I was doing the same, making them 1mb to be forum friendly.
Posted 08/08/2013 - 22:23
Link
Posted 09/08/2013 - 09:31
Link
The last of these new ones is my favourite - again, captures that special atmosphere of the time and season. I like the low viewpoint of the first (new) one, good composition I think - but its let down by the very obvious outline where you've blended the sky & foreground exposures - if you're using layers and a mask, a finer edged brush may help, and much smaller brush right at the join.
We've still got the banding - what size are your JPEGs now?
We've still got the banding - what size are your JPEGs now?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 09/08/2013 - 09:43
Link
I checked, the banding is there on the RAW file..... It's on seven different photos. Can't workout why.
You are right about the obvious transition between the sky and ground on photo 1. That was Topaz Adjust and me being too heavy handed with it. Which i tend to be with Topaz, looks great in the editor but then pants once finished. lol
The last of the new ones is my favourite too. The light and the background seem to work quite well. And a bit of mist in the valley.
You are right about the obvious transition between the sky and ground on photo 1. That was Topaz Adjust and me being too heavy handed with it. Which i tend to be with Topaz, looks great in the editor but then pants once finished. lol
The last of the new ones is my favourite too. The light and the background seem to work quite well. And a bit of mist in the valley.
Posted 09/08/2013 - 17:21
Link
You can't see a RAW image You can see its embedded JPEG, on the camera rear LCD or in a cataloguing programs thumbnails. It may be worth just saving out to larger JPEGs anyway to test the theory. If you're using Elements try rendering out to a 16bit image from ACR into the main editor, then 'save as' a 16bit tiff in the main editor, to see if the banding remains there also.
When ACR displays the image during editing this is not full resolution (to keep the editing on the preview updating quickly), so the banding may still be there because of this.
Larger JPEG files have always resolved this problem for me, so if that's not the issue we'll have to call in some more opinion!
When ACR displays the image during editing this is not full resolution (to keep the editing on the preview updating quickly), so the banding may still be there because of this.
Larger JPEG files have always resolved this problem for me, so if that's not the issue we'll have to call in some more opinion!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 09/08/2013 - 18:02
Link
Right, i'll get on to it in a moment. And you learn something new everyday, thanks for the info about the RAW preview.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.





640 posts
17 years