Some macros with new lens

dinneenp

Link Posted 21/03/2012 - 21:51
Hi,
I got a lovely Pentax 100mm f2.8 lens recently and have been trying it out. A lot harder than I thought, especially focus.
Here's some select photos from my early experiments:

Daisy Macro by Photoblog.ie (Patrick Dinneen), on Flickr

Daisy (again) by Photoblog.ie (Patrick Dinneen), on Flickr

Old School by Photoblog.ie (Patrick Dinneen), on Flickr

tv addict

Television, the drug of the Nation by Photoblog.ie (Patrick Dinneen), on Flickr

Cheers,
Pa.
Cheers,
Pa
http://www.photoblog.ie where every post have a musical reference as it's title.

Mannesty

Link Posted 21/03/2012 - 23:38
Loving the last two. Is that the TV reflected in the subjects eye?

You will probably already have discovered how difficult this lens is to use hand held and wide open due to the very narrow DOF. A monopod or tripod will help enormously, as will a flash and diffuser.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

dinneenp

Link Posted 21/03/2012 - 23:45
Mannesty wrote:
Loving the last two. Is that the TV reflected in the subjects eye?

You will probably already have discovered how difficult this lens is to use hand held and wide open due to the very narrow DOF. A monopod or tripod will help enormously, as will a flash and diffuser.

Thanks. Yes, it's the tv reflection.

When I bought the lens I intended not to take many floral photos but they tend to stay still (wind permitting) and I try to shoot them a bit more abstract than 'standard' floral macro shots.
Cheers,
Pa
http://www.photoblog.ie where every post have a musical reference as it's title.

szgabor

Link Posted 22/03/2012 - 06:00
I agree with Peter, the last two are the best. The 3rd one would be nice if the centre of the flower would be sharper.
The flash can be useful. You can use narrower aperture and higher shutter speed with it. If you would like to take more abstract shots then you should buy a macro close-up lens (Raynox DCR-250, Soligor +5Dpt) to increase the magnification ratio and decrease the DOF.
The extension tube set is a useful accessory, too. It increases the magnification ratio and the DOF isn't reduced as strongly as the close-up lenses do it.
Regards,
Gábor
My website
My PPG site

snappychappy

Link Posted 22/03/2012 - 07:01
A very nice set and well composed, particularly like the daisy shot.
My piccies.

dinneenp

Link Posted 22/03/2012 - 10:03
szgabor wrote:
I agree with Peter, the last two are the best. The 3rd one would be nice if the centre of the flower would be sharper.
The flash can be useful. You can use narrower aperture and higher shutter speed with it. If you would like to take more abstract shots then you should buy a macro close-up lens (Raynox DCR-250, Soligor +5Dpt) to increase the magnification ratio and decrease the DOF.
The extension tube set is a useful accessory, too. It increases the magnification ratio and the DOF isn't reduced as strongly as the close-up lenses do it.

thanks.
Can the camera built-in flash help or are you talking about an external flash?
Also do you mean using the Raynox or extension tube with my Pentax 100mm f2.8 lens? Lastly could you recommend an extension tube, I bought one ages ago for €8 and it was awful.
Cheers,
Pa.
Cheers,
Pa

szgabor

Link Posted 22/03/2012 - 10:34
dinneenp wrote:
... Can the camera built-in flash help or are you talking about an external flash?
Also do you mean using the Raynox or extension tube with my Pentax 100mm f2.8 lens? Lastly could you recommend an extension tube, I bought one ages ago for €8 and it was awful.
Cheers,
Pa.

I use external flashes. Long before I used a cheap Soligor DG-20 AS flash on bracket, now I use a Metz MB-15 MS-1 ringflash. It's price is somewhere between the DG-20 AS and the Pentax, Sigma and other ringflashes.
You can use the built-in flash too, Charlotte uses it with Pringles tube as diffuser and she takes great shots with it.
Yes, you can use the Raynox DCR-250 with your lens, it has a universal fitting capability.
What you mean under "awful", could you give details?
Regards,
Gábor
My website
My PPG site

dinneenp

Link Posted 22/03/2012 - 11:06
szgabor wrote:

What you mean under "awful", could you give details?

I put in on my camera, tried to take it off again and it was stuck. I tried not to panic or force it off, eventually managed. this happened 3 times so I binned it.
I might try another one again, should I avoid the cheapest ones (or not as they're all basically a tube...)?
Cheers,
Pa

milamber

Link Posted 22/03/2012 - 11:55
dinneenp wrote:

I put in on my camera, tried to take it off again and it was stuck. I tried not to panic or force it off, eventually managed. this happened 3 times so I binned it.
I might try another one again, should I avoid the cheapest ones (or not as they're all basically a tube...)?

I've tried the cheap Ł8 ones and they aren't very good quality. Never had one stuck, though, though I guess it's always possible due to poor manufacturing.

Basically a tube is a tube, to an extent. No glass to worry about so, in essence, a cheap one should work as well as a more expensive one.

If you are just after a basic set with aperture linkage for use in manual mode then you really don't have to pay much more for quality.

I bought a set of Vivitar AT-22 tubes recently for around Ł25 delivered and they are often available on Ebay, though Ł30 delivered is more usual. They are fantastic quality and will last for ever. They feel good to use as well!

Not sure which your camera is, but they might need a little of the anodised black paint removed on the rear to connect properly with a K-x/K-r. It's a simple enough job.

Pentax make a 'K' set, but they don't come up too often and can be quite expensive. They do the same job as the Vivitars, though.

There are a few other clones of the Vivitars around as well for much the same price. All are all metal, with stainless steel connector plates and decent catches.
Last Edited by milamber on 22/03/2012 - 11:56

szgabor

Link Posted 22/03/2012 - 11:55
I have an Albinar tube set that was bought in a second hand shop. It's price was 9000 HUF (about 30€). Each of the tubes has K mount and works fine.
Regards,
Gábor
My website
My PPG site

Charlotte

Link Posted 22/03/2012 - 12:53
Hi dinneenp,

I thought it would be easier to reply to your pm in this thread - I'm not sure if I can send photos by pm.

Hole cut in pringles tube which slides over the on board flash.

I cut a hole in the lid, which enables me to change the amount of light allowed - sometimes I need more light and don't need anything over the hole and the tube just points the light in the right direction. sometimes I need less light and will use different thickness of paper over the top.

Ready to fit.

Not very elegant looking but it does the job.

My current set up is a Pentax 100mm 1:3.5 macro which doesn't go to 1:1 , I'm currently saving for the 2.8 one.

I've taken the inside glass and tube out of a 3 x converter and am using that as an extension tube at the moment, because I think the cheap tubes were doing something odd to my camera.

Any other questions, just ask,

Good luck,
Charlotte
Pentax Photo Gallery
Photography blog

Helpful

JAK

Link Posted 02/04/2012 - 22:06
Thanks for posting that Charlotte - having seen references to it, I was wondering how a Pringles tube could help with macro photography. Now I know!

Good idea.

John
John K

NaimKhan

Link Posted 02/04/2012 - 22:11
Fantastic contraption Charlotte.
PPG

Frogherder

Link Posted 02/04/2012 - 22:20
JAK wrote:
Thanks for posting that Charlotte - having seen references to it, I was wondering how a Pringles tube could help with macro photography. Now I know!

Good idea.

John

+1

Bernard

fatspider

Link Posted 02/04/2012 - 23:02
I'm going to try that this summer Charlotte, brilliant idea.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.