Some fishy beach pics
Posted 12/12/2009 - 08:32
Link
Perhaps it's just the unusual perspective that's a consequence of having to get very close to the subject. This will mean foreground objects are unusually prominent compared to the background, thus giving the 3D effect mentioned.
Best regards, John
Posted 17/12/2009 - 13:27
Link
Congratulations! I have occasionally pondered sending a pic into my local rag too. For free of course, it's a tiny local paper, something like 12 pages.
Did you just send it in unasked or did you speak to them first?
Did you just send it in unasked or did you speak to them first?
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 17/12/2009 - 13:42
Link
thoughton wrote:
Congratulations! I have occasionally pondered sending a pic into my local rag too. For free of course, it's a tiny local paper, something like 12 pages.
Did you just send it in unasked or did you speak to them first?
Thanks.Congratulations! I have occasionally pondered sending a pic into my local rag too. For free of course, it's a tiny local paper, something like 12 pages.
Did you just send it in unasked or did you speak to them first?
Just emailed it in with a note saying I hoped they found it of interest and where it was taken.
Posted 17/12/2009 - 14:56
Link
Right-o. Watch out Walden Weekly!!!!
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 19/12/2009 - 13:44
Link
Nice to be back after a busy month to take a good look at the work of others. This is an impressive set of fisheye shots but I can’t help wondering if I would have liked them more taken at 24mm. ’Course did not see the original scene so it is possible that the lens has added loads to the shot and was the only way to go.
So not sure about the beach set but do like the reindeer shot and think in this case it works well giving a focal point and placing it in it's setting, where as senic landscape works in a different way or at least in my brain it does and I am not sure about distortion of the scene for no real reason that I can understand but I would be happy to have the reasons explained.
So not sure about the beach set but do like the reindeer shot and think in this case it works well giving a focal point and placing it in it's setting, where as senic landscape works in a different way or at least in my brain it does and I am not sure about distortion of the scene for no real reason that I can understand but I would be happy to have the reasons explained.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
Posted 20/12/2009 - 17:47
Link
Nice shots Mike, which amongst other things demonstrate one of the qualities I've found I really like about Fishy - the colour rendition.
Re. your musing about abandoning the 12-24, though. I disagree. I was beginning to have my own doubts after a productive w/e with Fishy a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps, I thought, it was rather extravagant to have two ultra-wides. However, I used the 12-24 quite a bit this w/e and was once again struck by it's superb optical performance - it's sharper than the 10-17 even in the centre of the frame, and at the edges better than any other zoom I've had. Also, while the distortions are often visually striking, it's good to have something that doesn't distort (and the barrel distortion on the 12-24 is less than any wide angle lens I've used). It's true Fishy's pretty damn appealing, but I think the 12-24 still gets my vote for fave zoom lens.
Re. your musing about abandoning the 12-24, though. I disagree. I was beginning to have my own doubts after a productive w/e with Fishy a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps, I thought, it was rather extravagant to have two ultra-wides. However, I used the 12-24 quite a bit this w/e and was once again struck by it's superb optical performance - it's sharper than the 10-17 even in the centre of the frame, and at the edges better than any other zoom I've had. Also, while the distortions are often visually striking, it's good to have something that doesn't distort (and the barrel distortion on the 12-24 is less than any wide angle lens I've used). It's true Fishy's pretty damn appealing, but I think the 12-24 still gets my vote for fave zoom lens.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


85 posts
16 years
West Sussex
Cheers
Chris