Soft Forget-me-not

Lubbyman
Posted 26/05/2023 - 10:51 Link
From time to time I point the camera at the self set forget-me-nots that come up all over the garden. Previous years have produced photos of swathes of blue, macros of individual flowers, even fish-eye shots. This year it's the soft and dreamy approach. So here are four shots with the FA77mm ltd + 20mm tube on a K3. The first 3 are at f2, the last at f2.8. No sharpness intended, none present.

What do you think? Which (if any) is your favourite? Why?

1.
Comment Image


2.
Comment Image


3.
Comment Image


4.
Comment Image


Steve
Posted 26/05/2023 - 17:22 Link
Difficult choice there... #4 for me, almost like a painting. No, sorry, #3. There again... (See what I mean?)

I think that from 2 onwards, it's the way you've 'worked' the image that's so appealing, culminating in #4. The blur of the background and stem of the flower leads you to the flower itself. So that's why it would be my favourite. However, I really like them all and will be interested in other's views. Cracking work, Steve.
Be well, stay safe, but most of all, invest in memories
LennyBloke
Posted 26/05/2023 - 18:34 Link
For me no.1 has the right level of sharpness/softness but the background green in 3 and 4 works better, as does the blue "glow" around the stem. That lens and tube combination is one I've often enjoyed, but that doesn't mean it's easy to get the results you're after
LennyBloke
Lubbyman
Posted 27/05/2023 - 08:57 Link
Thanks. It's always interesting to hear what people think about similar pictures, what tips the balance one way or the other for them. Keep those thoughts coming .

LennyBloke wrote:
That lens and tube combination is one I've often enjoyed
Hmmm... I wonder who I acquired both lens and tubes from a few years ago... and where I got the idea to put them together... might it have been LennyBloke himself???
pschlute
Posted 27/05/2023 - 09:58 Link
I would be inclined to brighten the flower and darken the background like so.............Comment Image
Posted 27/05/2023 - 13:06 Link
pschlute wrote:
I would be inclined to brighten the flower and darken the background like so.............Comment Image
Another interesting take with a great result. Fascinating thread this.
Be well, stay safe, but most of all, invest in memories
MikeInDevon
Posted 27/05/2023 - 14:36 Link
1 and 2 are my favourites.

Cheers
Mike

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo