SMC Takumar 1:2.5/135 - another day's lockdown, another lens.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 03/05/2020 - 23:09
If lockdown has an up side it's got to be the time and motivation to get all your lenses out. From what I have discovered, this
one has at least three variants (four if you include the K 135). Of the Takumars, the final version with eight aperture leaves is
reckoned to be the best. I put it onto the K5 to give that an airing too. It produces wonderful, richly saturated colours and it is
sharp from the largest apertures. None of these are above f4.

1. Who says weeds are unattractive? This lot, lined up in a crack, make quite a nice composition.

2. There have been a few bluebells of late so here are some white ones and some pink ones.

4. Remember that this is a 135mm and certainly not a macro lens. The minimum focusing distance is just over five feet.
I intentionally went for the solitary bee on the clematis but I wasn't even aware of the ant on the peaone, which was
shot from about 12 feet away. It's resolving power is considerable, even wide open.

My apologies for all the flowers recently but I'm stuck with the back garden. It at least lets me use my collection of
old glass.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

pschlute

Link Posted 03/05/2020 - 23:13
Lovely set.
Peter

My Flickr page

HarisF1

Link Posted 04/05/2020 - 03:22
Agreed, beautiful moody shots.

Love the lens as well, the long minimum focusing distance is an interesting characteristic to work around.

Chrism8

Link Posted 04/05/2020 - 08:37
Superb set, although #5 is the stand out image for me, just needs a slight compositional tweak to bring the chopped off leaves in from the left in to the image
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 04/05/2020 - 09:53
Nice set taken with a great lens - so solid, smooth and well engineered. That short minimum focus is a great feature on a lens that has so few weaknesses.

And....

...no apologies David, just keep em coming
LennyBloke

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 04/05/2020 - 11:11
These look very good. I have the K version but haven't used it much yet. I'd break it out but don't currently have it with me where I'm quarantined.

I know what you mean about flower pictures - they've always been a fall-back for when I don't have anything more interesting to photograph, and that applies now more than ever.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 05/05/2020 - 12:39
Pic 2 and 3 but I'd be inclined to brighten the white a bit to give them more punch in the frame
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm ii HSM Macro - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

asbo

Link Posted 05/05/2020 - 14:01
I'm about 90% sure the flowering plant in the first photo is a strawberry plant.

philstaff

Link Posted 05/05/2020 - 15:28
Nice collection the lens works nicely for you. Number one for me.
Regards Ian

davidwozhere

Link Posted 06/05/2020 - 02:07
Would that these were strawberry plants! They are all over the place, very tiny and have long runners - possibly related to the strawberry but no fruit.
I agree about the brightening of the white Gareth. This is as bright as I could get it before it started to look silly.
I tried several arrangements of the peaone. Having the whole of the leaves in either pushed the flower too far to the right or entailed having it too small.

Thank you all for your interest, suggestions and comments.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

HarisF1

Link Posted 06/05/2020 - 04:33
The plant is certainly related to the strawberry plant. They have a great knack for spreading in a similar fashion. In my garden they also produce tiny little strawberry fruits that are very squishy and soft but taste just like their mass grown cousins.

Benz3ne

Link Posted 06/05/2020 - 08:00
HarisF1 wrote:
The plant is certainly related to the strawberry plant. They have a great knack for spreading in a similar fashion. In my garden they also produce tiny little strawberry fruits that are very squishy and soft but taste just like their mass grown cousins.

"Mountain Strawberries" is what my family refers to them as. Used to get loads of them down my grandparent's old house along their driveway. They are quite 'weedlike'. The dogs used to love foraging for them, as did I growing up.
Edit: Fragaria virginiana, from a quick search.
Last Edited by Benz3ne on 06/05/2020 - 08:02
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.