SMC Pentax F 35-135

glock40sw
Posted 18/06/2005 - 06:00 Link
G'day Everyone.
I have just aquired this AF lens.
I intend to use it on the PZ-1p.
Has anyone used this lens?
If so, how did you find it for sharpness, contrast, etc,etc,etc.

I welcome your findings.

Thanks.
Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton.
Australia
be it a Glock or a Pentax, Any day shooting is a good day.
Kimbo
Posted 19/06/2005 - 01:08 Link
Trevor,
To be honest I haven't used mine for many months although it was almost permanently attached to my SFX when that was my main camera.
I was never disappointed with the results, particularly when you consider that it was a real 'super-zoom' when first produced but I do feel that my FA 28-105 (purchased along with my Z1-P) is just a little sharper.

In reality there's probably very little difference, perhaps the FA just feels better but it did get very good reviews and handles flare exceptionally well.
I think I should try a few test shots to compare the two but I'm sure you'll be happy with your F 35-135 - it may just be psychological but I prefer my FA.

(Sorry I can't be more technical - it's a nice, versatile lens that performs well).
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!
glock40sw
Posted 19/06/2005 - 06:47 Link
Thanks Kimbo.
I got the lens from eBay.
It had sticking aperture blades when it arrived.
I sent it to C.R. Kennedy (the Australian Pentax dealers) for repair.
It has come back CLAed as well as very snappy aperture blades.
They even tightened up the zoom ring so that it now does'nt self zoom when pointed down.

I really like the idea of having Macro on the 35-135. I feel it makes in very versatile for a walkaround lens.

Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor.
Grafton.
Australia
be it a Glock or a Pentax, Any day shooting is a good day.
Kimbo
Posted 19/06/2005 - 15:43 Link
It's an extremely versatile lens and I've always been happy with mine.

http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/35lensesmtf.shtml#Pentax

The above link gives you an idea of performance comparisons, my FA does indeed score a little higher (but it is later generation - so maybe it should) but I don't like to read too much into such tests because no two reviewers seem to get the same results and the testing criteria do tend to vary.

In any event Trevor, I expect you bagged yourself a bargain - a genuine Pentax lens with a wide focal range such as yours was pretty darned costly when new - I think the 35-135 was around £230.
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo