SMC M35mm f2

bjolester

Link Posted 30/05/2013 - 12:27
I recently acquired this lens, mostly because I do not have any primes at 35mm. I wonder if somebody could tell me something about this lens? For instance, what kind of usage is this lens meant for? If I decide to sell the lens, how much do these lenses go for?

Regards
Bjørn
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 30/05/2013 - 12:40
It's a standard lens on Pentax DSLRs, giving a normal appearance similar to what is seen by the human eye.
Best regards, John

Helpful

walkeja

Link Posted 30/05/2013 - 13:32
johnriley wrote:
It's a standard lens on Pentax DSLRs, giving a normal appearance similar to what is seen by the human eye.

I ahve never understood that expression as each person is different. For me, 20mm givbes what I see on 35mm film!
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 30/05/2013 - 13:45
I think the phrase relates to the effect on perspective, ie how the image shows the sizes of objects relative to each other. A telephoto will compress the space between the subject and the background, and a UWA lens will exaggerate that distance. A 50mm is supposed to offer a natural perspective although compared to what we see, it's a narrower field of view on film, let alone APSC.

I guess 35mm is a good compromise between a natural perspective and a field of view which seems natural. I think you're absolutely right though John - every person is different in terms of where they think that compromise should lie.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

bjolester

Link Posted 30/05/2013 - 13:50
johnriley wrote:

Thanks John!

I know that the K35mm f3.5 is a very good/superb landscape lens, maybe much in the same manner as the K28mm f3.5 (which is my favourite legacy prime). But what about the M35mm f2? At about f8 it is sharp from centre to border, and is quite useful for landscape. For distant motives/infinity at f2 it is sharp in the centre, but not so sharp in the corners. For close objects/portraits f2 gives good results with a pleasing bokeh.

When this lens was made, was it meant to be an all-rounder, a portrait/interior lens, or maybe something else?

Regards
Bjørn
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr
Last Edited by bjolester on 30/05/2013 - 13:55

johnriley

Link Posted 30/05/2013 - 14:04
It would have been a "wide standard" that was favoured by some street photographers. Some people preferred 35mm to 50mm. I preferred 55mm, but it just goes to show that we can all see things differently!

A standard lens generally performs very well and can be somewhat abused with close up lenses, extension tubes, reversing on bellows and so on, without too much quality compromise.

The 35mm f/2 probably is weaker in some respects than the f/2.8, just as the 50mm f/1.7 has a better overall performance than the f/1.4. The wider aperture lenses come into their own in reportage and low light work.
Best regards, John

Helpful

bjolester

Link Posted 30/05/2013 - 14:11
Thanks John, this was the information I was looking for!

Bjørn
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

Gamka

Link Posted 30/05/2013 - 14:38
bjolester wrote:

When this lens was made,
was it meant to be an all-rounder, a portrait/interior lens, or maybe something else?

Regards
Bjørn

Late 70's to early 80's and replaced the k35 f2 which was about 50% heavier and 30% longer with a different set of elements. It then, I believed transformed into the A35.

Helpful

walkeja

Link Posted 30/05/2013 - 14:54
walkeja wrote:
johnriley wrote:

I ahve never understood that expression as each person is different. For me, 20mm givbes what I see on 35mm film!

Dyslexic fingers. Sorry
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member

johnriley

Link Posted 30/05/2013 - 15:16
Here's the script from the Pentax lenses and Accessories booklet:

Quote:
With its natural perspective and wide angle of view, a Pentax 35mm lens is versatile enough to be used as a standard lens, especially when photographing in close quarters. In both f/2 and f/2.8 speeds and with or without automatic aperture control, Pentax 35mm lenses are compact and of excellent optical quality.

Best regards, John

Helpful
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.