Small Cactus, Big Flower
Posted 09/05/2021 - 20:27
Link
Not working for me I am afraid. The stamens are not sharp and the leaves/petals ? on the left of the frame are a distraction
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Posted 10/05/2021 - 10:24
Link
Fair cop, guv, guilty on both counts!
I'd tried a square crop but still had a couple of orange tips protruding at the left, which annoyed me, so wondered whether leaving more of the offending flower in the frame would be less distracting. Clearly not. The plant couldn't be moved for the shot, bits drop off it very easily!
The stamens are odd. They are sharp in the full size original but not after being shrunk to 800px prior to posting. Here's the same but uploading the full size version and letting the forum software reduce the size. It looks better through my varifocals. What do you think?

Steve
I'd tried a square crop but still had a couple of orange tips protruding at the left, which annoyed me, so wondered whether leaving more of the offending flower in the frame would be less distracting. Clearly not. The plant couldn't be moved for the shot, bits drop off it very easily!
The stamens are odd. They are sharp in the full size original but not after being shrunk to 800px prior to posting. Here's the same but uploading the full size version and letting the forum software reduce the size. It looks better through my varifocals. What do you think?

Steve
Posted 10/05/2021 - 11:06
Link
Hi Steve
I did a quick edit and removed the petals on the left and cropped a little on the left.
The stamens are interesting. I experienced the same as you when viewing them at less than 100%. I have always been an advocate of posting images so they display at 100% rather than letting forum software downsize and introduce artifacts, but never have seen it this dramatic.
Apologies for doubting your sharpening skills

I did a quick edit and removed the petals on the left and cropped a little on the left.
The stamens are interesting. I experienced the same as you when viewing them at less than 100%. I have always been an advocate of posting images so they display at 100% rather than letting forum software downsize and introduce artifacts, but never have seen it this dramatic.
Apologies for doubting your sharpening skills

Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Posted 10/05/2021 - 12:01
Link
In my view, Pete's revised version is an improvement on the original
Chris
www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk
" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".
-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2
K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk
" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".
-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2
K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Posted 10/05/2021 - 15:52
Link
Aha! That's the picture I wanted but couldn't get. I didn't have the courage (read that as competence) to clone a cactus. Thank you!!
Re the stamens, I wonder whether different size reduction algorithms are good/bad at different types of detail. Those stamens are quite different to, say, closely spaced lines so it wouldn't be unreasonable for one algorithm to be best for one and another for the other. But that's pure speculation.
Steve
Re the stamens, I wonder whether different size reduction algorithms are good/bad at different types of detail. Those stamens are quite different to, say, closely spaced lines so it wouldn't be unreasonable for one algorithm to be best for one and another for the other. But that's pure speculation.
Steve
Posted 10/05/2021 - 16:13
Link
I think you are right about it being the "kind" of detail that matters. Even when editing in Photoshop reducing the viewing size had an immediate effect on the sharpness of them.
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2971 posts
18 years
South Dorset
K3 + Irix 150mm (as usual). Stack of 11 with Affinity Photo.
Thoughts, comments etc. welcome as always.
Steve