Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Single shot whith HDR

junousia
Posted 01/03/2013 - 19:27 Link
Here is one picture (single shot) runned through easyHDR with dramatic dark settings vs. original picture.

With easyHDR:

Comment Image

and original (not processed) photo:

Comment Image
Best Regards
Jukka
flickr

"If your photographs aren't good enough, you're not close enough." - Robert Capa
Edited by junousia: 01/03/2013 - 19:30
davidstorm
Posted 01/03/2013 - 20:45 Link
It's a better image with the HDR, but I do think the same could easily have been achieved without any HDR processing on this particular shot.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
junousia
Posted 02/03/2013 - 11:44 Link
Yes, you might be right.

Exposure +0.5 EV (or +1 EV) would be needed and then play stand and background would be better, but the problem is snow, its too flat.
Best Regards
Jukka
flickr

"If your photographs aren't good enough, you're not close enough." - Robert Capa
Algernon
Posted 02/03/2013 - 13:05 Link
It's worked well and doesn't look to obvious.

There used to be a software program written in Java
and only supporting Intel CPU's (Lightzone.. hardly
surprising that they seem to have disappeared )
that allowed you to manipulate Zones individually
which is probably a similar thing.

EDIT:: It seems Lightzone may now be available for
FREE once they sort out Licensing Problems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightZone

It was quite a powerful program which won quite a
lot of awards. I'm sure AP picked it as the Best
Photo App one year.

Old Review:
http://www.photozone.de/lightzone-v205

-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 02/03/2013 - 13:36
gwing
Posted 02/03/2013 - 20:34 Link
I actually prefer the original as I find the 'fake HDR' contrasts a bit harsh and unrealistic, particularly the differences between the silver birch bark, sky and snow.

Here's a very quick attempt with more conventional means. It has just 0.25 stop more exposure and some texture pulled back into the highlights as that was explicitly mentioned in the OP. I did notice the HDR tonal mapping gave a benefit in putting some texture into the reds and making explicit the front and back red panels so I've done a bit of the same thing by steepening the tonal curve a touch at the red panels brightness point. I've probably made the red and yellow a bit too bright in doing so but it's only a quick play.

Comment Image
Edited by gwing: 02/03/2013 - 20:36
Smeggypants
Posted 03/03/2013 - 02:06 Link
junousia wrote:
Here is one picture (single shot) runned through easyHDR with dramatic dark settings vs. original picture.

With easyHDR:

Comment Image

I like it. I wouldn't even class it as HDR, but just regular processing to reduce teh dynamic range.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
junousia
Posted 03/03/2013 - 11:17 Link
Thanks.

It's nice to hear others opinions.

On that picture there are some elements that dosen't look very natural as Bob (gwing) said, like birch bark (too light, IMHO).
Best Regards
Jukka
flickr

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.