Sigma DG EX 180mm Macro, resale value??

Clarky
Posted 18/05/2010 - 18:12 Link
As the title suggests I have this lens, obviously in a Pentax mount, And I am wondering what a mint second hand copy is selling for,

I always said I would never sell it unless I was lucky enough to get hold of a Pentax A* 200mm f4 macro, well my luck has come in and I have just purchased one, so now I have too pay for it

If I am not mistaken the Sigma 180mm in the pentax mount has now been discontinued ?? I looked on the SRS website and there was no mention of it thier and the Canikons are currently going for around 510quid, which is a pretty good price I might add, I paid over 700quid for mine back in 2008 and was hoping I could get back most of that outlay, but going on current prices I might struggle, but then again if the Pentax version has been discontinued it may bump the price up somewhat ??

What do you think is a fair price for an almost mint copy (it has one small scuff mark on the hood) boxed, with carry case and documentation.

Thanks in advance. Clarky
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
matwhittington
Posted 18/05/2010 - 19:27 Link
Well they are still advertised as available for special order (28 day delivery) on the Jessops website (£789) although I think you are right it has been discontinued...I was speaking to one of the guys in Cameraworld a while back and he understood it was effectively discontinued; the chap in Microglobe thought it was going to be replaced by a similar lens with built in Optical Stabilisation (or whatever Sigma call it) in the near(ish) future. It is certainly a lens I covet. Given the scarcity and the fact that it is mint I would have thought you could get somewhere very close to what you paid for it:... I would be tempted (my missus would kill me)

Regards
Mat W

My Flickr: link
womble
Posted 18/05/2010 - 19:42 Link
Clarky wrote:
I always said I would never sell it unless I was lucky enough to get hold of a Pentax A* 200mm f4 macro, well my luck has come in...
Somebody once said you make your own luck but really! Clarky clearly wins the PUF jammy personage award...

I hope the 200mm is everything it is cracked up to be.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
George Lazarette
Posted 18/05/2010 - 20:14 Link
Clarky, we await a full report on this lens. I think you are the only person here to own a Pentax 200mm macro, or am I wrong?

Kris, I suspect Clarky spends many a long hour researching the second-hand market, and deserves his "luck".

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
bretti_kivi
Posted 18/05/2010 - 20:48 Link
there were several on the other forum where the owners were looking for $700+ IIRC and not getting it. The 180 seems rare enough.

I would also be interested, but other things take prio, as usual.

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
bretbysteve
Posted 18/05/2010 - 21:23 Link
"Kris, I suspect Clarky spends many a long hour researching the second-hand market, and deserves his "luck".


About 5-6 years ago I spent those long hours for about two years searching all over the world for various lenses including Pentax and eventually the ship does come in...here's some examples...to make you wince..(I still have my little black book full of purchases)

SMCM 150/3.5 (COST £55), SMCM 85/2 (£66), SMCK 20/4 (£200), SMCM 28/2 (£150), SMCA 35/2.8 (£25), SMCA* 300/4 (£179), SMCK 24/2.8 (£77), SMCM 200/2.5 (£76...YES! SEVENTY SIX QUID), SMCK 18/3.5 (£254), ANOTHER 18/3.5 (£299), SMCA* 85/1.4 (£345), SMCK 28/2 (£170), SMCA 50/1.4 (£72), SMCK 85/1.8 (£215), SMCK 105/2.8 (£90)....and many others..ahh those were the days.

The best finds were the really scare accessories like the Pentax original lens hoods for the SMCM 20/4, SMC 24/2.8 and others.

cheers Steve.
Edited by bretbysteve: 18/05/2010 - 21:23
hefty1
Posted 18/05/2010 - 23:13 Link
Clarky wrote:
I always said I would never sell it unless I was lucky enough to get hold of a Pentax A* 200mm f4 macro, well my luck has come in and I have just purchased one, so now I have too pay for it
I can't help you with a value on the Sigma, but I'll give you a couple of hundred towards your new purchase in exchange for a shiny Voigtlander 125 Macro that's now redundant.
Joining the Q
Clarky
Posted 19/05/2010 - 13:15 Link
Thanks for the replies, but i'm still no closer to putting a value on it. I wanted to avoid ebay if I could so I might list it on the forums and see what happens, I may end up keeping it.
George Lazarette wrote:
Clarky, we await a full report on this lens. I think you are the only person here to own a Pentax 200mm macro, or am I wrong?

Kris, I suspect Clarky spends many a long hour researching the second-hand market, and deserves his "luck".

G
I believe "Mayday" has one,
George, you are right, too many hours scouring the classifieds, and it does pay off at times.

bretti_kivi wrote:
there were several on the other forum where the owners were looking for $700+ IIRC and not getting it. The 180 seems rare enough.

I would also be interested, but other things take prio, as usual.

Bret
If I can only get $700 for it, then I will be keeping it, i'm afraid.

hefty1 wrote:
Clarky wrote:
I always said I would never sell it unless I was lucky enough to get hold of a Pentax A* 200mm f4 macro, well my luck has come in and I have just purchased one, so now I have too pay for it
I can't help you with a value on the Sigma, but I'll give you a couple of hundred towards your new purchase in exchange for a shiny Voigtlander 125 Macro that's now redundant.
Thats a very generous offer Hefty, NOT
The Voigtlander will be taking pride of place on the top shelf along side the Pentax 200mm macro, what a handsome couple they make

I am also considering selling my DA*60-250, FA 20-35mm, FA 24-90mm, Tamron 1.4x AF TC, and an AF 540 flash. But i'm changing my mind on an hourly basis at the moment.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
bforbes
Posted 19/05/2010 - 17:00 Link
there was one sold for £500 on ebay, back in April this year.
Mannesty
Posted 19/05/2010 - 19:09 Link
I had a 'Contact the seller' conversation with Ian Hobday recently about 2 lenses he had for sale, the A* and FA* 200mm macro's. When I mentioned I was currently using the Sigma 180mm, he mentioned that he had once used one for quite some time and found it to be an excellent lens. I couldn't disagree with him, and ended my quest for my 'Holy Grail', the FA* 200mm Macro.

I'm sticking with the Siggy.

Clarky, I think you'll be hard pushed to determine much difference in IQ between the A* 200mm and the 180mm EX DG lenses. I would resell the A* unless it was orders of magnitude better in the IQ department. You'll certainly get more money for that than you will the Sigma.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Clarky
Posted 20/05/2010 - 15:03 Link
Pete, I may end up keeping them both yet. When the 200mm arrives I will do a few side by side comparisons, I'm not expecting too much difference in IQ, if any!, but its a lens I have wanted for some time and I look forward too putting it through its paces.

Cheers
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 03/06/2010 - 05:01 Link
I have been looking for he Sigma 180mm some time, I seen one sell for around $800.00. Fair market price may be $900.00. I know I am intersted.
Clarky
Posted 03/06/2010 - 06:02 Link
Flyinggabe wrote:
I have been looking for he Sigma 180mm some time, I seen one sell for around $800.00. Fair market price may be $900.00. I know I am intersted.
James, I will keep you mind when I have made a decision on it. cheers.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pwynnej
Posted 03/06/2010 - 09:49 Link
Apparently a large London retailer has the Sigma advertised in PKAF fit for under £500.

Actually thinking of doing a double swoop by getting both PKAF and NAF fit - the Nikon fit version is highly regarded by FX users, more so than the Nikkor 200mm
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. SMC-FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. HD-FA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon, and a Canon T70.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo