Should I buy a K10D now or wait?

kingweasel

Link Posted 23/11/2007 - 11:37
I'm off to New Zealand for a 'holiday of a lifetime' next Easter and I'm wondering whether to buy a K10D now or wait until Feb or March in case there is either a significant price drop or a new model to tempt me. I currently have a ist DS and all the lenses I need, so it's really just the body upgrade I'd be looking to do. Any thoughts?

Dave_Evanson

Link Posted 23/11/2007 - 13:16
If there is no big rush to get a new body I donít see the harm in waiting (unless like me you have all the patience of a boiling kettle ). Even if the K10D was discontinued when the new models come out and the replacement is more than you are prepared to spend there will probably be plenty of second hand K10Ds around.

Gashley

Link Posted 23/11/2007 - 13:17
Hi,

That is precisely what I am going to do. I currently have a K100D with a number of lenses and accessories and don't want to upgrade to the K10D equivalent until the new model comes out. I have read a few things about something happening next year, but as yet they are just rumours.
Gareth

K100D, P30, Pentax 18-55, Pentax SMC 1:1.7 50, Vivitar 80-200, Vivitar 28mm, Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro - Vivitar 2800D flash - Pentax AF360FGZ flash

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18262727@N08/

kingweasel

Link Posted 23/11/2007 - 13:26
Thanks. That's the thing though. I reckon it's going to take me a month or so to get the k10D set up the way I like it. The thing is ... what rumours have people heard ... is there likely to be a newer model or price cuts in the next 4 months??

Kim C

Link Posted 23/11/2007 - 13:58
If you buy it now, you will get a chance to get used to it. Then there will less chance that you will miss that shot of a lifetime. It may come down in price but if you wait for that, you will always be waiting.

Kim

ChrisA

Link Posted 23/11/2007 - 14:01
kingweasel wrote:
The thing is ... what rumours have people heard ... is there likely to be a newer model or price cuts in the next 4 months??

I think, reading between the lines of what those allegedly in the know have been trying not to drop too many hints about, it's more likely to be a new model, at a significantly higher price point than the K10D.

K10D prices might creep down a little, but I can't see anywhere near as much movement as there's been this year (which has seen a £200+ drop).

But I know nothing. I'm only guessing.

If you're going to get a K10D, it might be £50 cheaper in four months time, but that's nothing compared with the value of having it four months earlier and getting used to it in time for your holiday.

MattMatic

Link Posted 23/11/2007 - 14:34
Quote:
If you're going to get a K10D, it might be £50 cheaper in four months time, but that's nothing compared with the value of having it four months earlier and getting used to it in time for your holiday.

I agree

Considering I paid close to £1200 for the *ist-D the current price of the K10D is an absolute steal (And if you give Chris at SRS Microsystems a call you'll probably get an even better price )
Note: But I've shot 15000 on the *ist-D. Couldn't imagine what it would've cost for Provia

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

kingweasel

Link Posted 23/11/2007 - 15:05
Thanks everyone. If the new Pentax model is going to be a lot more expensive, the only thing that might tempt me would be a full frame sensor in it ... and considering Pentax's commitment to their special digital lenses, this seems pretty unlikely right??

MattMatic

Link Posted 23/11/2007 - 16:12
Correct
And a full frame sensor DSLR I would expect to be in the region of £1500+ anyway. There's rumour of a larger sensor, but not full frame. Maybe a 1.3 crop (rather than 1.5) but who knows...?

As the proverb goes... "The farmer who watches the clouds will never reap"

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

kingweasel

Link Posted 23/11/2007 - 16:33
Thanks. I'll be buying one before Xmas then so I have time to learn to use it properly!

ChrisA

Link Posted 23/11/2007 - 16:55
MattMatic wrote:
Maybe a 1.3 crop (rather than 1.5) but who knows...?

Would the DA image circle still be Ok at 1.3?

kingweasel

Link Posted 23/11/2007 - 16:59
I don't think it would ... those lenses are perfected fro the 1.5 crop.

Personally I'd be over the moon if Pentax just but digital backs into old ME Supers!

johnriley

Link Posted 23/11/2007 - 17:22
Quote:
Would the DA image circle still be Ok at 1.3?

I seem to remember Matt doing a test with the 16-45mm when it was new, to see how it fared on full frame. It wasn't at all bad as I recall, so 1.3x might be OK for at least some of the lenses.

It would be interesting indeed if it turned out that they were all designed for a 1.3x crop sensor.
Best regards, John

kingweasel

Link Posted 23/11/2007 - 17:31
Even on the wide angle end? If that's the case I might just have to get myself an old body that can use my digital lenses. It would be fun to take some ultra ultra wide angle shots!!

Mannesty

Link Posted 23/11/2007 - 17:31
johnriley wrote:
It would be interesting indeed if it turned out that they were all designed for a 1.3x crop sensor.

That's not likely John. I see a tiny amount of Vignetting from my DA 12-24mm, and a bit more from my DA* 16-50mm. The DA* 50-135mm seems good though.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.