shooting through glass
Posted 02/03/2010 - 20:58
Link
Manual focus, careful lining up to avoid reflections and maybe a polarizing filter.
Best regards, John
Posted 02/03/2010 - 21:55
Link
I've heard that hair spray is effective at killing the reflections on glass and chrome.
But I doubt they'd like it in the British Museum.
But I doubt they'd like it in the British Museum.
Posted 02/03/2010 - 22:46
Link
johnriley wrote:
Manual focus, careful lining up to avoid reflections and maybe a polarizing filter.
I have always found that a polarizing filter works very well - in good light
Manual focus, careful lining up to avoid reflections and maybe a polarizing filter.
Regards
David
Retired at last - now all that time for photography - you would think: wink:
David
Retired at last - now all that time for photography - you would think: wink:
Posted 02/03/2010 - 23:00
Link
Many moons ago I saw an artefact in a museum display that I was very interested in so I carefully took a photograph of it using all the tips (except hairspray!) mentioned above. When I finished a gentleman asked me why I was so interested so I explained. As I walked away he pushed his disk camera [that dates this story) up against the glass and took a photo... with the built in flash! Somehow I think he might have been disappointed when his photos came back.
K.
K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 02/03/2010 - 23:13
Link
The age of the glass plays a part too. Modern float glass is much better than earlier stuff. I know my kitchen windows (approx 100 years old) baffle the AF on my 100-300mm zoom as they've got all sorts of tiny ripples in them.
Matt
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Posted 02/03/2010 - 23:15
Link
A rubber lens hood is handy as well, you can put it right against the glass. Again, it's probably frowned upon in museums, and maybe too close to the subject.
But somewhere like the top of the CN Tower in the glass enclosed restaurant it makes night pictures of the city possible.
But somewhere like the top of the CN Tower in the glass enclosed restaurant it makes night pictures of the city possible.
Posted 02/03/2010 - 23:19
Link
You can use flash easily through glass if you get a rubber lens hood. Just put the hood against the glass to avoid reflection.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Posted 04/03/2010 - 12:54
Link
Polarising Filters won`t do much to reduce reflections but will help with glare (though at a cost of 1.5 -2 stops.) If it is possible i put the lens right up to the glass and manual focus in the subject. The old rubber lens hoods used to be very useful for this as you could alter the angle without letting any stray light in. I use a plain aluminium tripod so i sometimes have to cover the legs with something dark so that the reflection does`nt show. ( Memo to self - buy a black one next time!)
If i use flash then i place it away from the camera preferably on a different side of the glass case from the camera if possible.
Regards - Pete
If i use flash then i place it away from the camera preferably on a different side of the glass case from the camera if possible.
Regards - Pete
Posted 04/03/2010 - 13:18
Link
Polarizers will reduce or remove reflections from glass and water, but not metal surfaces. The final effect depends upon the polarization of the light.
Best regards, John
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


50 posts
19 years