Shooting clouds with the K-7
Posted 15/12/2010 - 07:08
Link
You should get some graduated ND filters. The difference between even a cloudy sky and the ground will be several stops so without these filters or some post processing you are never going to be able to get both right ( or even close).
.........all the gear, no idea!
Me super, MX, LX, K5,DA 18-55WR, DA 17-70, DA 55-300, DA40 Ltd, FA50 1.4, Samsung D-Xenon 12-24,Samsung 100mm macro M50 1.7(x3), M28 3.5, M35 2.8, M100macro f4, M135 3.5(+others)
Me super, MX, LX, K5,DA 18-55WR, DA 17-70, DA 55-300, DA40 Ltd, FA50 1.4, Samsung D-Xenon 12-24,Samsung 100mm macro M50 1.7(x3), M28 3.5, M35 2.8, M100macro f4, M135 3.5(+others)
Posted 15/12/2010 - 07:48
Link
You can also use post processing in Photoshop, select the sky area and darken it down using levels.
Posted 15/12/2010 - 08:03
Link
MarkD wrote:
You should get some graduated ND filters.
Yes this seems like a something worth trying.You should get some graduated ND filters.
I don't mind pp of course but I'm not to happy with heavy pp - which is what I had to do to bring out the foreground in this test shot yesterday.

Pentaxophile wrote:
Ideally wait for a sunny interval - it can look so dramatic.
Definately Ideally wait for a sunny interval - it can look so dramatic.
Pentaxophile wrote:
Or you could try autobracketing and then post processing.
Yes I've tried this, but alignment is still a bit off, I need to use a tripod more often but it's not always convenient of course.Or you could try autobracketing and then post processing.
Thanks to all for responding, I'm on the right track I think - just need more time and experience by the sounds of it (and an ND filter)
Thanks
Posted 15/12/2010 - 08:58
Link
HDR is a good idea or use a PLC filter. I usually use ND filters in various density (from 2 to 10 depending on the weather) but I got good results with a PLC filter as well.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK
It's nice to be nice!
Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
SmutjeUK
It's nice to be nice!
Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
Posted 15/12/2010 - 09:07
Link
using a polariser made all the difference to my own sky pics.
Posted 15/12/2010 - 09:08
Link
sledger wrote:
I don't mind pp of course but I'm not to happy with heavy pp - which is what I had to do to bring out the foreground in this test shot yesterday.

Thanks to all for responding, I'm on the right track I think - just need more time and experience by the sounds of it (and an ND filter)
Thanks
Another way would be to shoot in RAW or RAW+ and then use Split-RAW technique in PP. Follow the link here to get a video tutorial of how to do this.
MarkD wrote:
You should get some graduated ND filters.
Yes this seems like a something worth trying.You should get some graduated ND filters.
I don't mind pp of course but I'm not to happy with heavy pp - which is what I had to do to bring out the foreground in this test shot yesterday.

Pentaxophile wrote:
Ideally wait for a sunny interval - it can look so dramatic.
Definately Ideally wait for a sunny interval - it can look so dramatic.
Pentaxophile wrote:
Or you could try autobracketing and then post processing.
Yes I've tried this, but alignment is still a bit off, I need to use a tripod more often but it's not always convenient of course.Or you could try autobracketing and then post processing.
Thanks to all for responding, I'm on the right track I think - just need more time and experience by the sounds of it (and an ND filter)
Thanks
Kind regards
SmutjeUK
It's nice to be nice!
Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
SmutjeUK
It's nice to be nice!
Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
Posted 15/12/2010 - 09:09
Link
snappychappy wrote:
HDR ?
If this is a question about my sample photo above, no - not HDR. HDR ?
Was a single shot processed in Xara Designer Pro6.
If it's a suggestion, then thanks but I'm not a fan of HDR as a rule, I've seen way too many overcooked results.
A little tone mapping with PhotoMatix helps with some images, but generally this too can look overdone with very little effort
Posted 15/12/2010 - 09:23
Link
SmutjeUK wrote:
Another way would be to shoot in RAW or RAW+ and then use Split-RAW technique in PP.
Yes, after watching that video tut' I see it's a very similar technique to what I use with JPG in Xara Designer Pro6, though of course I don't quite have the dynamic range that RAW offers me.Another way would be to shoot in RAW or RAW+ and then use Split-RAW technique in PP.
I've not shot RAW very much lately (I shot RAW with the *istDS 90% of the time) due to a desire to master the K-7 shooting JPG first, don't ask why - it just seems a logical approach to me.
Posted 15/12/2010 - 09:30
Link
sledger wrote:
I've not shot RAW very much lately (I shot RAW with the *istDS 90% of the time) due to a desire to master the K-7 shooting JPG first, don't ask why - it just seems a logical approach to me.
Maybe shooting in RAW+? It gives you the best of both worlds as you got a RAW image as well as a JPEG one. Then just use the one that is best suited for your purpose. SmutjeUK wrote:
Another way would be to shoot in RAW or RAW+ and then use Split-RAW technique in PP.
Yes, after watching that video tut' I see it's a very similar technique to what I use with JPG in Xara Designer Pro6, though of course I don't quite have the dynamic range that RAW offers me.Another way would be to shoot in RAW or RAW+ and then use Split-RAW technique in PP.
I've not shot RAW very much lately (I shot RAW with the *istDS 90% of the time) due to a desire to master the K-7 shooting JPG first, don't ask why - it just seems a logical approach to me.
I always shoot in RAW+ (OK, I got 12TB now of storage as well, so no shortage here) but it just gives you the extra flexibility and you always can delete what you do not want/need or when you got the finished picture.
Just a thought.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK
It's nice to be nice!
Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
SmutjeUK
It's nice to be nice!
Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


893 posts
21 years
Atherton Tablelands North QLD
I'd like to capture shots of storm clouds but not getting the right exposures. Either the foreground is very underexposed or the clouds are blow-out.
I've tried many different settings trying to get it right - but not having the greatest of luck so far.
Does anyone have experience in this area of photography which I can learn from?
Many thanks.