Sensor developments.

womble

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 10:37
A link to an interesting web page.

Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

jules

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 10:55
Eek!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

wvbarnes

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 11:01
DP Review have similar and
I think there was a thread on here yesterday about same.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/27/Nokia-808-PureView-with-41MP-sensor

Beggars belief as to why bother when 5 or 6 megapixels would have avoided the noise anyway for small devices. The key thing is what they do with the idea down the line with real cameras. The large for this genre of gadget sensor size is a surprise though as usually tiny equals bigger profits for such devices.

Is it me or is this software trying to outwit hardware?

Spaceman_Spiff

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 11:16
Well, I own an old Nikon (sorry to swear) Coolpix 4500 with an enormous 4MP to it's credit. The images it can produce, especially macro, are stunningly good. Having read the link I think I know one of the reasons!
Better equipment enhances my ability to display my shortcomings.

xbow

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 11:44
Clever, but will it get them out of trouble?

Or maybe more importantly is this the type of thinking that's got them there in the first place ...

http://www.sandiegopchelp.com/the-trouble-with-nokia/
http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-trouble-and-banking-wp7
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1

jules

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 12:12
Of course it will get them out of trouble, I mean it's better than a 645D now isn't it

Nokia are proper mad they are...

Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Last Edited by jules on 28/02/2012 - 12:13

steven9761

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 12:53
Having had time to think about this, I seem to recall reading somewhere of a digital camera (pro model, of course!) with a 42Mp sensor, but my recollection is that it was actually comprised of a 14Mp blue-sensitive, a 14Mp red-sensitive, and a 14Mp green-sensitive sandwiched together somehow to make up the 42Mp sensor. If this sensor is just one sensor that copes with RGB as a single entity, I don't think it will be as good as the R/G/B sensor, as there is possibly no real control over the individual colour spectrum. By this, I mean that the Nokia sensor can have, say, the red spectrum tweaked but at the cost of sacrificing the colour rendition of the blue and green spectrums, whereas (my interpretation of the original 42Mp sensor) such an adjustment can be made to the red end of the colour spectrum, but leaving the blue and green untouched, facilitating much more user control...

Or, am I just havering??

wvbarnes

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 13:03
steven9761 wrote:
Having had time to think about this, I seem to recall reading somewhere of a digital camera (pro model, of course!) with a 42Mp sensor, but my recollection is that it was actually comprised of a 14Mp blue-sensitive, a 14Mp red-sensitive, and a 14Mp green-sensitive sandwiched together somehow to make up the 42Mp sensor. If this sensor is just one sensor that copes with RGB as a single entity, I don't think it will be as good as the R/G/B sensor, as there is possibly no real control over the individual colour spectrum.

That'll be Fuji's sensor you've seen link

beakynet

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 13:47
wvbarnes wrote:
steven9761 wrote:
Having had time to think about this, I seem to recall reading somewhere of a digital camera (pro model, of course!) with a 42Mp sensor, but my recollection is that it was actually comprised of a 14Mp blue-sensitive, a 14Mp red-sensitive, and a 14Mp green-sensitive sandwiched together somehow to make up the 42Mp sensor. If this sensor is just one sensor that copes with RGB as a single entity, I don't think it will be as good as the R/G/B sensor, as there is possibly no real control over the individual colour spectrum.

That'll be Fuji's sensor you've seen link

Are you sure this is not the Foveon X3 sensor used on the Sigma SD1?
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon

wvbarnes

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 13:56
All using three layers principle. If it was so good why aren't all cameras this way then I wonder?

Frogherder

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 13:57
Bearing in mind the date of the article I havn't heard muh more

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/360568/canon-unveils-120-megapixel-camera-sensor

regards
Bernard

steven9761

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 14:54
Frogherder wrote:
Bearing in mind the date of the article I havn't heard muh more

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/360568/canon-unveils-120-megapixel-camera-sensor

regards
Bernard

Jeez-oh!! Can you even begin to imagine the image quality of that 120Mp sensor?? You could count the individual pubic hairs on a fruit fly without having to shoot in macro mode!!

Don

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 15:58
sorry to disappoint..but.. this is trickle down technology that won't translate well into consumer products....
unless an equally staggering breakthrough in lenses comes along the optics needed to make use of this sensors resolution are beyond the reach of all but a few government drone/spy plane/satellite/astronomy programs..

might as well be promising scramjet engines for ultralight aircrafts...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Frogherder

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 16:19
Not at all disappointing to me Don, my kit is already better than my abilities , so unless A3/A2 printers/glossy paper drops dramatically as well I'll stay with 6x4; 10x8; and whatever an A4 printer gives me. On that scale my wifes 5MP "handbag" camera gets some cracking shots before my K10D is out of its bag.

regards
Bernard

Don

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 19:39
Frogherder wrote:
Not at all disappointing to me Don, my kit is already better than my abilities , so unless A3/A2 printers/glossy paper drops dramatically as well I'll stay with 6x4; 10x8; and whatever an A4 printer gives me. On that scale my wifes 5MP "handbag" camera gets some cracking shots before my K10D is out of its bag.

regards
Bernard

I have fast computers as it is, but would need a supercomputer to handle the resolution of those files from a wedding shoot... lol! and still only be selling mostly 8x10's lol!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.