Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

SD or CF card for new D model?

Brian E
Posted 05/05/2006 - 18:33 Link
Hello everyone. I'm a new member but have been following items in the various forums with great interest and enjoyment for quite a few months.

My question is, are there any educated guesses as to which memory card will be used in the forthcoming D replacement?

I have other questions! But that will do for now.
Ardent
Posted 05/05/2006 - 18:42 Link
gut feeling says SD. Think it has been mentioned in show reviews etc.
johnriley
Posted 05/05/2006 - 18:58 Link
Well we don't know for sure, but gut feeling does indeed suggest SD. If it turned out to be CF or even dual sockets for CF and SD we would be surprised, but nothing is impossible!
Best regards, John
Arthur Dent
Posted 05/05/2006 - 23:23 Link
Given that people with the D have an investment in CF cards, I'd be suprised if the new model D didn't have a slot for CF, even if it can use SD cards. There are two ways this can be accomplished, one is with dual slots, and another is with a "sleeve" that can be removed to reveal a CF slot.
42 Comment Image
Ammonyte
Posted 06/05/2006 - 21:36 Link
I'll put my money on SD as all their other models use SD cards, and the smaller size of SD cards will help them out in packaging the whole thing. And you can get SD cards that have a USB connector built-in, so no need for an adapter for the PC.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/01/06/sandisk-ces-sd-card-with-built-in-usb-adapter/

SD seems to be the way most things are moving, too. My mobile phone has 1GB SD memory (well the mini-SD type anyway)
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html
George Lazarette
Posted 07/05/2006 - 14:39 Link
SD cards are the future. It seems unlikely that the D2 will have a CF slot as well as an SD slot.

But, the *ist D is not going to die. The CF cards will still have a use, but in that camera, not the new one.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
johnriley
Posted 07/05/2006 - 17:02 Link
CF cards can also be handy to transfer data from one computer to another, as, to be fair, any flash memory can be.
Best regards, John
Brian E
Posted 08/05/2006 - 17:14 Link
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. It looks as if i'd better start saving my pennies now!!
MattMatic
Posted 10/05/2006 - 14:12 Link
You could preempt the situation:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CF-Compact-Flash-Adapter-for-SD-MMC-Card-512MB-1GB-2GB_W0Q...

In the UK: http://www.digitalera.co.uk/detail.html?productref=89 (SD card does not protrude!) Type II CF (suitable for the *ist-D)

Note: Maplins in the UK sell one where the SD card does protrude, so won't fit in the *ist-D.

Matt
SPB
Posted 16/05/2006 - 12:08 Link
SD is NOT the future!

There are even smaller cards now than SD and anyway this is the game between manufacturers and consumers. Buy one format today and pretty soon thereafter another format will be introduced. Sounds like a nightmare to consumers to me.

However on second-thoughts if you simply are able to change the SLR body and keep your lenses as you can with Pentax, the card changes, are still relevant but not so big on the agenda.
Don
Posted 16/05/2006 - 12:45 Link
30 gig flash ram drives on the horizon....high speed wi-fi...say good-bye to interchangeable memory cards all together...who needs 'em?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
George Lazarette
Posted 16/05/2006 - 13:19 Link
SPB wrote:
SD is NOT the future!

There are even smaller cards now than SD and anyway this is the game between manufacturers and consumers. Buy one format today and pretty soon thereafter another format will be introduced. Sounds like a nightmare to consumers to me.

They are the future for Pentax, as you will soon see. But nothing lasts for ever, as I am sure you will have worked out by now. Perhaps.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
SPB
Posted 20/05/2006 - 21:49 Link
Sure have. Nothing technological has much of a future, it is in constant flux.

All my stuff, PDA and camera, mp3 player all started out with CF .... now I have SD in camera, scanner and another old technology Mini-Disk - the mp3 player broke.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.