Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

SD-HC card speed

hoshisato
Posted 17/12/2008 - 11:28 Link
Has anybody noticed any large speed improvements when using a class 6 SD-HC card with their Pentax cameras? At the moment I'm using a Sandisk Ultra II which is class 4 and I noticed that the Sandisk class 6 cards are about twice as expensive for the same size. I'm having a K20D and I'm not likely to rely on the burst mode, but maybe I'm overlooking something less obvious in the choice for an SD-HC card.
Cameras: Pentax 67II / 645NII / K20D / MZ-S / MZ-3 / ME
Gallery: Hans ter Horst Photography
MattMatic
Posted 17/12/2008 - 12:47 Link
When you use the Extreme III cards, especially with the SanDisk "Micromate" reader, the download speed onto the PC is ballistic. That's where you'll gain the most improvements

Given the crazy cheap price of the Extreme III cards, I've stuck to them (4Gb from www.picstop.co.uk )
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Mannesty
Posted 17/12/2008 - 13:02 Link
As Matt says, Sandisk Extreme III SDHC cards are blindingly fast.

Beware SDHC though, the cards Matt mentioned optionally include their own SD/SDHC MicroMate reader, which is great if you have a USB enabled PC available. That of course is most likely when in the comfort of your home, but away from home on holiday/expedition/assignment, unless you take a laptop, you may want to use an image storage device for convenience.

If you have any older SD readers however, it's likely that they can't 'see' SDHC cards. My own particular problem is that I have a JoBo Giga One storage device and it can't use SDHC cards.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
hoshisato
Posted 17/12/2008 - 16:17 Link
Cheers, I find the 8Gb cards a convenient size for the K20D shooting DNG files. I have external SD-HC USB readers ands one built into my laptop.

I don't know about the Jobo Giga One, but my JOBO GIGA VU Pro evolution (with Extreme firmware) works when I plug an SD-HC card in an external SD-HC USB reader into one of the USB ports on the Jobo.
Cameras: Pentax 67II / 645NII / K20D / MZ-S / MZ-3 / ME
Gallery: Hans ter Horst Photography
Edited by hoshisato: 17/12/2008 - 16:19

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.