Scottish Parliament Building Study

Dodge69

Link Posted 26/04/2013 - 13:34
Have not picked up the camera in about a month or so decided to challenge myself Tuesday by taking on one of my least favorite buildings. Cursed in inception & construction, ignored in reception & appreciation, the building now sits (together with the Edinburgh Tram project) nullifying the myth that Scots are canny, thrifty, organised & determined.

Suffering design flaws, the death of the architect during construction, a costly project management system, the building also suffered from the after effects of 9/11 as many anti-terrorist measures were shoe horned into the design. An inquiry had to be held to come to terms with the monumental overspend, this inquiry decreed that civil servants should not have been put in charge of such a projects, however just a few years later, in the same city, civil servants were again left in charge of the tram project, and well.... lesson not learned.

Anyway, £414m and what do you get? Something that looks like it could be an administration building on the Israeli/Palestine border. Or, I've never been to Reykjavik, but I've always thought this is what the airport might look like.

It's quite nice inside though...

Pentax pour des images riches en détails!

steven9761

Link Posted 26/04/2013 - 13:53
The Scottish Parliament building looks like Cumbernauld chewed it up, then spat it out, and dumped the remnants at the far side of Edinburgh! (If you've ever visited Cumbernauld town centre, you'll understand).

Somehow, you've managed to turn an architectural abomination into something resembling a cubist painting though, so well done!!

Northgrain

Link Posted 26/04/2013 - 16:11
I'm suffering the same 'photo malaise' at the mo, so nice to see 'affirmative action' from a fellow sufferer - and hats off for taking on this (in)famous building.

Really interesting set - #4 is particularly striking. Something here about the contrast between the old background buildings and modern concrete shapes, with the long exposure sky adding an air of unreality, which I really really like.

Hopefully Scotchland will be able to avoid these sorts of public investment fiascos after winning Independence
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

sandinista

Link Posted 26/04/2013 - 19:04
A nice set Sean, 3 and 4 are my picks of the bunch
Great simplicity is only won by an intense moment or by years of intelligent effort. T.S Eliot

PPG
Gear Not enough!!

Flickr
My not so new website

davidstorm

Link Posted 26/04/2013 - 19:45
Excellent images Sean, 3 and 4 for me are the ones I'm most drawn to.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

duncanM

Link Posted 26/04/2013 - 19:50
Good set- you've managed, as it were, to make a silk purse of a sow's ear.
BTW the tram project was promoted and pushed through by the town council. You can't blame anyone but them for that

Smeggypants

Link Posted 27/04/2013 - 00:58
2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 9 for me - all excellent shots and processing

I think I would have brightened up the two gents a bit in #9 with a local adjustment brush though.

I alos lik the idea of the back end of a taxi in the shot in #1 but feel it could have worked a lot better with only the rear end
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Dodge69

Link Posted 27/04/2013 - 11:30
Cheers chaps! Yes, Cumbernauld next, that should be a challenge
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!

Stuey

Link Posted 28/04/2013 - 16:09
Interesting challenge, odd bulding and nicely captured
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.