Scanning Images

Lurach

Link Posted 26/01/2004 - 00:13
Hi Matt,

I've moved this message to a new thread in case the topic of scanning starts to grow either through my own questions or other users comments.

First of all, many thanks for your response to my original query on the "Resolution and Quality" thread. I have downloaded Wysiwyg and the trial version of Vuescan (V7.6.72) as you suggested. Vuescan certainly gives you plenty of options and "twiddly bits" to play with - if you know what they all do - but at least it seems that you can start "simple" and then expand your control as you learn.

Can I ask a couple of general questions regarding scanning (film) before I go any further? Is it necessary to do a "prescan/preview scan" before doing the "proper" scan? Does the prescan actually "set-up" the scanner to do the actual scan?

I also did my first batch of scans from colour negative film on the Minolta today (Minolta default software with no correction applied during scanning) and immediatley noticed that the scans from negatives produced output that could almost be printed/displayed without further correction - well almost, if you know what I mean. But they certainly had the appearance that you could get away with less post-scan "intervention" than the initial output from slides? Is this generally the case?

With regard to Vuescan itself, I noted that the User Guide refers to the ability to create RAW files from the scan. However when I go to the "Output" options there is no sign of a RAW tick-box. Even deselecting TIFF and JPEG does not cause a RAW option to appear. Is there something else I should be doing or is the RAW facility only made available following purchase of the utility?

Regards
Lurach

MattMatic

Link Posted 27/01/2004 - 15:59
Hi Lurach!

First thing, I don't know whether there are any features disabled in the preview version (apart from the watermarking). I have the Pro edition - have had it longer than I can remember, and Ed Hamrick has been a star

My general workflow for the Nikon Coolscan IV is as follows (when scanning to JPG. I am only just moving to raw and TIFF ):
* Output | printed size to Scan Size
* Output | JPEG quality to 93 (gives a pretty good result for me)

* Input | Scan task = scan to file
* Input | Scan quality = archive
* Input | Scan Mode = 35mm slide / 35mm negative
* Input | Media Type = Image (for slides - scans what you see on the slide) / Color Negative (for film)

* Filter | IR clean = Light (only visible on IR enabled scanners)
* Filter | Grain Reduction = Light
* Filter | Sharpen off

* Color | Color balance = neutral (keeps image as is - nice for slides like Provia)
* Color | Output Color space = Adobe RGB (if printing) otherwise sRGB

(If scanning film)
* Color | Negative Vendor = GENERIC (start with this)
You can also check in the manual for some of the more popular film types and correlate the colour bands/markers on the negative strip and select the appropriate entry on Vuescan. You really need to just try it out.

In my experience, I find that Provia, Velvia, Sensia can all be scanned straight with almost no tweaking. You can rattle off a roll easily and use the "Auto scan" option too. With negative film, it takes a little care getting the parameters right for the roll, but then you can just scan the whole roll with the same settings.

The manual says that RAW scan mode produces a TIFF file output Once scanned, you can load them by selecting "Scan From" and choosing File. In fact, this is the way Vuescan handles digital camera raw files too (including the *istD)

It is preferable to calibrate the scanner first (I found the Coolscan a bit blue). You may find a general ICC profile for your scanner, and then load this up in Vuescan by setting the Color | Scanner color space = ICC Profile, and Color | Scanner ICC profile = scanner.icc

Once you get the hang, it's not too bad at all. Use the File | Options to create 'regular' parameters for films you use. Always predictable
Oh yes, always worth checking on line for later versions as Ed is a very responsive programmer - the updates come almost daily!

And finally, there are a couple of helpful tutorials linked from the Vuescan website. Well worth reading carefully

Hope that helps
Matt

PS. I'm in the process of getting the *istD profiled through Vuescan - that should sort all the colours out nicely.
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Lurach

Link Posted 03/02/2004 - 22:59
Hello Matt,

Apologies for being so late with this, but many thanks for the information above on scanning - all very helpful. I somehow suspect that I'll be sending Mr Hamrick the few dollars for Vuescan and your response has given me something to work on.

When you say you are getting the *istD "profiled", what will that produce? does it enable Mr Hamrick to write Pentax data into Vuescan or is it a file/plugin which can be used by Pentax users?

regards
Lurach

MattMatic

Link Posted 04/02/2004 - 09:37
Lurach,

Vuescan can already process the *istD data. However, the colours are all off as it needs an ICC profile to work it out.

I have managed to get an IT8 target, have had a go at profiling, but haven't had the time to finish the job off. Once done, the profile will allow for accurate colour within Vuescan, and also with dcRAW (which Vuescan uses the code from).

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.