Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Satisfaction!

lemmy
Posted 23/09/2009 - 23:15 Link
I did a car boot recently and one of the things I sold was a box of 24 assorted Cokin filters, graduates, polariser, star, etc, etc, all in immaculate condition. I found them in a cupboard and they'd been forgotten for ten years or more.

I priced them at 50p each just to get rid of them. A guy came up and gave me some spiel about how they were useless and he'd give me a fiver for the lot. I felt like telling him they'd earned their keep many times over in pic sales so they couldn't be that useless, but what the hell, I couldn't be bothered! He was pretty rude, though and said if I didn't sell them to him now, he's come back in an hour and only offer me £3. I said ok.

Two minutes later another man came along, looked through the filters and gave me £12 without any query. Bit of a bargain, those, he said. I know, I replied.

Five minutes later, the fhe first, forceful bloke came back. Where are the filters, he said. Sold, I said. He looked really *****ed off.

I'm not malicious by nature, but I have to admit it made my day.
Hardgravity
Posted 23/09/2009 - 23:22 Link
You showed the pratt that you weren't a push over, well done

Pratt, by the way is an old English phrase for a cunning and devious person. I wasn't just swearing!

As for filters being useless, proper ones are , in my view, better than the digital ones all camera makers seem think we need.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
lidy
Posted 23/09/2009 - 23:29 Link
OMG, I wish I'd been there! I'd have been glad to pay more than 12 pounds.
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships. - Ansel Adams -
George Lazarette
Posted 23/09/2009 - 23:30 Link
What filters are you looking for? I might be able to oblige with one or two.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
edumad
Posted 24/09/2009 - 00:48 Link
Its a car boot sale, what did you expect the guy to do... of course he would haggle.
Road_Dancer
Posted 24/09/2009 - 02:04 Link
There's haggling, and taking the piss.

I try to avoid coming across like an arrogant arse when I haggle at boot sales. My Wife and I do a good 'good cop/bad cop' double act where needed tho'

At the end of the day, I find I'm more likely to get the haggle in my favour if I'm being nice, and, like Lemmy, when I have sold things, tend to clam up when the buyer is acting like a pratt.
Pentax K10d; Metz mecablitz 48 AF-1; Pentax A 50mm F2; Pentax 18-55mm DAII; Sigma 28-300mm F3.5-5.6; Koboron 24-70mm F3.5-4.8. Pentax MZ-7, Zenit 35mm
My Flickr Photos
rparmar
Posted 24/09/2009 - 03:58 Link
The car boot sales around here only have bits of old string and videos from the eighteenth century, badly treated tin and appliances for the hair.

Photography? Didn't that go out with the Beatles?
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.
lidy
Posted 24/09/2009 - 17:00 Link
George Lazarette wrote:

G

That would be great, George! The only thing is: I don't know what to get yet. Have been thinking about a Cokin or Lee system so that I can use the filters on any lens, but then I don't even know whether I'll use them a lot, so it may be better to start with just 1 or 2. We spent a week on the coast a month ago and I took a lot of sunset pictures, some of which were ruined because of the sun's reflection on the sea. I'd need a polarizing filter for that I think? And I'd also like one to brighten up grey skies / enhance colours - or would that be a polarizing one as well?

If you think the ones you want to sell might be useful to me, please let me know. I'll start looking up the filter sizes of my favourite lenses.

Thanks again!
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships. - Ansel Adams -
Edited by lidy: 24/09/2009 - 17:01
gartmore
Posted 24/09/2009 - 17:11 Link
A polarising filter only works when the sun is roughly at right angles to the subject so I dont think it will do much for a sunset. A polariser will saturate colours by removing unwanted reflected light from the subject.

The most useful filters you could have might be a polariser and a 0.6 and 0.9 ND graduated filters.

I should add that this thread is about Cokin filters which dont screw onto the front of a lens but are part of system built around a holder that can hold 3 filters at a time and is attached by interchangeable rings which DO screw onto the lens. Inexpensive and very very useful.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Edited by gartmore: 24/09/2009 - 17:16
lidy
Posted 24/09/2009 - 17:25 Link
Thanks Ken. Yes, I know it's about Cokin filters. It's just that I don't know yet whether to buy a system with a holder and an adapter like Cokin or to go for a few screw-on-type of filters. If anybody can recommend one or the other, I'd love to hear.
Thordell
Posted 24/09/2009 - 18:06 Link
If you only use one or two lens then screw on may be the best way but if you have a number of lens the Lee/Hitec/Cokin systems may be the way to go. You are likely to need ND grads perhaps ND solids and polarising filter if you take lots of shots that suffer with reflections. As all good filters cost a lot of money a Lee type system is the only way if you have a lot of lens that require filters.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
Edited by Thordell: 24/09/2009 - 18:07
Road_Dancer
Posted 24/09/2009 - 18:20 Link
It would probably depend on how many different screw threads you have. I've four lenses at present, and each of them uses a different filter thread.

Having said that, each lens is for a different purpose, so I dont mind too much. I'll hold off getting another Circular Polariser until I know which lens is going to replace the kit lens permanently.
Pentax K10d; Metz mecablitz 48 AF-1; Pentax A 50mm F2; Pentax 18-55mm DAII; Sigma 28-300mm F3.5-5.6; Koboron 24-70mm F3.5-4.8. Pentax MZ-7, Zenit 35mm
My Flickr Photos
lidy
Posted 25/09/2009 - 19:50 Link
lidy wrote:
George Lazarette wrote:

G

That would be great, George! The only thing is: I don't know what to get yet. Have been thinking about a Cokin or Lee system so that I can use the filters on any lens, but then I don't even know whether I'll use them a lot, so it may be better to start with just 1 or 2. We spent a week on the coast a month ago and I took a lot of sunset pictures, some of which were ruined because of the sun's reflection on the sea. I'd need a polarizing filter for that I think? And I'd also like one to brighten up grey skies / enhance colours - or would that be a polarizing one as well?

If you think the ones you want to sell might be useful to me, please let me know. I'll start looking up the filter sizes of my favourite lenses.

Thanks again!

George, I think you may have overlooked this? Not to worry, just interested in what you might want to sell. Thanks.
Edited by lidy: 25/09/2009 - 19:51
George Lazarette
Posted 25/09/2009 - 22:53 Link
Yes, sorry, I have been here much in the past two days. Very busy.

I have to say, however, that the ones I have that are surplus to requirements are the B&W ones, and unless you shoot film, they are unlikely to be of interest. I do have a polariser and neutral grad, but plan to keep them.

Jackie mentioned the Lee system. It's excellent, but very expensive. An alternative is to use round filters with step-up rings. These work fine on most lenses but may vignette on very wide lenses.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.