rucksack - rear opening?

jeallen01

Link Posted 18/01/2014 - 22:53
Looking for a NON-photo rear opening rucksack for my wife - any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

John
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

jeffstclair

Link Posted 19/01/2014 - 08:32
Look at http://www.podsacs.com/
,very robust and well made I've had a small day bag from them for 12 or 13 years of hard use walking ,climbing ,working , rigging and photography and it's still going strong ...jeff...
Last Edited by jeffstclair on 19/01/2014 - 08:35

Smeggypants

Link Posted 19/01/2014 - 08:51
jeallen01 wrote:
Looking for a NON-photo rear opening rucksack for my wife - any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

John

Ooer missus!!

[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

jeallen01

Link Posted 19/01/2014 - 09:10
jeffstclair wrote:
Look at http://www.podsacs.com/
,very robust and well made I've had a small day bag from them for 12 or 13 years of hard use walking ,climbing ,working , rigging and photography and it's still going strong ...jeff...

Thanks but I don't think that is quite what we are looking for!

Maybe I should clarify the requirement - what is needed is something like one of the small-medium sized (my wife is not very tall or strong) LowePro Flipside backpacks with the access zip between the shoulder straps, so that it is against her back,and thus the bag cannot be opened until she has taken it off (to prevent light-fingered people nicking the contents as they walk by!) - AND is configured as an ordinary backpack and NOT with the compartments for photogear!.
(we can find lots of photo backpacks like this but virtually no ordinary backpacks in this style - which seems very surprising)

John
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

johnriley

Link Posted 19/01/2014 - 09:56
Probably best to ask on a walking and hiking forum! Or just visit an outdoor gear supplier?
Best regards, John

Steep

Link Posted 19/01/2014 - 12:35
Many of the hybrid photo/backpack styles have removable camera inserts.

I bought one of these a couple of weeks back so I could take my camera gear and flask etc. to work without it looking like it holds expensive camera gear. It may not be the look your wife would like and you haven't said if there's a particular use in mind for it but there are other variations on the theme - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390698240165?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1...

Bottom camera section comes out completely and there's a draw string divider between the top and bottom inside.

gartmore

Link Posted 19/01/2014 - 13:44
20 seconds on google revealed quite a few, however I often use a Lowepro slingshot 100AW. Although not mentioned by Lowepro it is designed in such a clever way that the buckles can be passes through all the cord loops on the zips. I would defy anyone to casually open it. Of course no fabric case is immune to a Stanley knife

Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

macabee

Link Posted 19/01/2014 - 16:12
Whilst I have a variety of camera bags for different occasions and kit, quite often when out walking I carry my K5+18-135, in a 'Zing' neoprene camera pouch, which then goes in my 'Exped Cloudburst 25Lt' sack*.

This has two added advantages a/ the sac is waterproof b/ does not shout camera gear inside! Also the sack carries everything required for a day's walk.

* http://www.facewest.co.uk/Exped-Cloudburst-25.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=...
Last Edited by macabee on 19/01/2014 - 16:13

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 19/01/2014 - 16:32
I know you specifically wanted a non-camera bag but the Lowepro flipside sport range has a completely removable camera insert. This just leaves a big empty space for your ordinary gear and doesn't particularlylook like a standard camera bag.

It comes in 3 sizes, 10l, 15l and 20l and in 2 colours, blue and orange. The only downside I can see is you are paying a premium for a camera bag and then not using it as such.

I've never seen a 'non-camera' bag with the zip opening between the straps.

Funnily enough we have just been out today and bought the 20 litre version for our weekly walks. I can attest to the fact they they are good quality just a bit pricey if you don't want the camera functionality.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
"I carry a camera to capture memories and the occasional photograph worthy of sharing"
Last Edited by RalphHardwick on 19/01/2014 - 16:33

jeallen01

Link Posted 21/01/2014 - 20:38
[quote:3496ace15f="gartmore"]20 seconds on google revealed quite a few, however I often use a Lowepro slingshot 100AW. Although not mentioned by Lowepro it is designed in such a clever way that the buckles can be passes through all the cord loops on the zips. I would defy anyone to casually open it. Of course no fabric case is immune to a Stanley knife

Thanks - I did try a slingshot 150 for myself but sent it back because it just felt uncomfortable, and my wife really needs a backpack that will sit squarely on her shoulders because she, like me, has a dicky spine.

Nevertheless the security features you mention do sound interesting - may investigate further

jeallen01

Link Posted 21/01/2014 - 20:40
BTW

Most of the problems with dedicated camera backpacks are related to the fact that when you take out the inserts you have a big empty space - whereas my wife wants as many internal pockets as she can get in order to store various items separately.
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 21/01/2014 - 20:42

jeallen01

Link Posted 21/01/2014 - 20:41
johnriley wrote:
Probably best to ask on a walking and hiking forum! Or just visit an outdoor gear supplier?

John

That's an interesting idea, but I don't really have much idea where to look - so does anyone else

Thanks in advance.

John

PS: we have very few outdoor gear suppliers in the area (W.London) where we live!
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 21/01/2014 - 20:43

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 21/01/2014 - 21:14
jeallen01 wrote:
BTW

Most of the problems with dedicated camera backpacks are related to the fact that when you take out the inserts you have a big empty space - whereas my wife wants as many internal pockets as she can get in order to store various items separately.

Buy a camera one, take out the insert, buy a much cheaper 'ordinary' pack with loads of pockets and put it inside with the flap facing the other way
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
"I carry a camera to capture memories and the occasional photograph worthy of sharing"

jeallen01

Link Posted 15/02/2014 - 18:13
In the end I bought one of these Lowepro Photo Hatchback 22l AW (although I paid £10 less than this price from Amazon a week ago!) for myself, whilst my wife bought something else for herself (not sure what as I haven't seen it yet).

First impression is that it is extremely light (less than 1kg!) and quite comfortable when the straps are properly adjusted. The removable camera compartment seems to hold the K-30, 55-300, 10-20 Sigma, 35 f2.4 and a TC, plus a few other things with a little to spare - and if I could get another compartment from Lowepro, I could fit Velcro dividers to make what my wife wants - but that is for another day as we are off on holiday in a few weeks!

OTOH, I think I will treat the outer rear panel "Lowepro" trademark to a little dose of can-spray grey paint to cover it up!
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 15/02/2014 - 18:15
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.