Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Royal rowing barge

George Lazarette
Posted 27/05/2012 - 19:46 Link
Boaters and royalists may be interested to know that the royal rowing barge is presently moored by Richmond Bridge, where it is possible to get quite a good look at it.

I had spent an agreeable afternoon driving a barge with a cargo of very nice people up to Teddington, and caught this picture on the return journey as the sun was failing.

This rowing barge is a most spectacular creation. I am hoping that Prince Charles will be equipped with a nice long galley whip to spur on the rowers as they lead the jubilee procession next weekend.

G

Comment Image
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
cedricd
Posted 27/05/2012 - 20:22 Link
By the cringe George, it`s a fair bit of kit.
Enjoy life
Snootchies
Posted 27/05/2012 - 20:25 Link
What a beautiful boat! Lovely light you've captured George.
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link
ChrisA
Posted 27/05/2012 - 20:47 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
Boaters and royalists may be interested to know that the royal rowing barge is presently moored by Richmond Bridge, where it is possible to get quite a good look at it.

I read that wrong the first time... for a moment I thought you were referring to your own rowing barge

Nice light there - would the picture benefit from a little highlight recovery, followed by a bit of shadow boost, do you think?
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
George Lazarette
Posted 27/05/2012 - 22:34 Link
ChrisA wrote:
George Lazarette wrote:

I read that wrong the first time... for a moment I thought you were referring to your own rowing barge

Nice light there - would the picture benefit from a little highlight recovery, followed by a bit of shadow boost, do you think?

Very probably, but I've never mastered such black arts.

BTW, at enormous expense (actually, it was extremely reasonable) I have had a new part fabricated for my gearbox, as none are available to buy. So in a few days my own barge will be under power again, and I won't need to hire myself out as driver on other people's barges if I want a trip up the river.

So, you are very welcome to row my barge if you want to, but it won't be strictly necessary.

G
George Lazarette
Posted 27/05/2012 - 22:35 Link
BTW, thanks Snootchies.

G
Pentaxophile
Posted 28/05/2012 - 10:29 Link
Good light George, a tad bleached out on some of the buildings though.

When my gearbox went, I ended up having to spend 6K on a new engine, so count your blessings!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
George Lazarette
Posted 28/05/2012 - 10:51 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
Good light George, a tad bleached out on some of the buildings though.

When my gearbox went, I ended up having to spend 6K on a new engine, so count your blessings!

You're right about the exposure problems. Given that it was evening, the light was surprisingly bright in places, and much less in others.

Others have suggested a new engine for me, too, but I regard myself as the curator rather than the owner of my present one. If I keep it, which I plan to, it'll no doubt cost me more in the long run than a new engine, but modern engines can't replicate the sound of an old diesel puttering along at 200 rpm.

It's amazingly economical, too, and that's no bad thing in this day and age. With a new engine, it would be difficult to resist going for 100hp or more, and there's a fuel consumption penalty to be paid for that.

G
Stuey
Posted 28/05/2012 - 20:10 Link
That's a nice pic of a beautiful boatamebob
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Frogherder
Posted 03/06/2012 - 15:31 Link
It is indeed a beautiful boat. Just ben watching it in action on TV.

Reminded me of a joke re a roman galley :-

Imagine a picture of a group of galley slaves pulling on their oars and a large Nubian beating time on a drum. The caption under the picture is "Thats cruisin speed"

2nd picture is one on sweating/staining slaves with bent oars and the Nubian beating a faster pace on the drum. The caption "that's rammin speed"

Final picture is of broken oars, slaves on they backs with fettered feet in the air. The Nubian has a big broad grin. The caption "and maan that's jazz"

regards
Bernard

Incidentally George. Was your barge in the flotilla?
Edited by Frogherder: 03/06/2012 - 15:32
OldTaffy
Posted 03/06/2012 - 15:39 Link
That was a nice example of serendipity, to come across Gloriana in the evening sunshine. Pity we have not had any sun on the Thames today.

I was disappointed that HM was not aboard Gloriana - the barge that she is on doesn't look very pretty, does it/she?

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
George Lazarette
Posted 03/06/2012 - 23:07 Link
Quite right, Taffy. The Spirit of Chartwell is a horrid thing. Built to a price with no concern for aesthetics whatsoever.

The whole thing was really very tasteless.

But the pageant was quite a show, until rain stopped play.

G
Gwyn
Posted 04/06/2012 - 09:11 Link
Did you have a ring side seat George?

They could at least have put Harry on the Gloriana, even if it wasn't suitable for HM herself. I think she and Prince Philip would have struggled a bit on her.

The thing they were on was hideous. A bit like the BBC coverage of the event really.

A shame the fly past couldn't take place too.
OldTaffy
Posted 04/06/2012 - 10:37 Link
The telephoto forshortening of "Spirit of Chartwell", especially in the early stages of the TV broadcast, made her look particularly hideous. The name puzzles me - shades of Winston Churchill! Was she given the name for the pageant, or is she normally called that?

I think that there is to be a fly-past at the end of the carriage procession in London.

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
JohnX
Posted 04/06/2012 - 12:03 Link
http://www.spiritofchartwell.com/

When not the Royal barge, it's a commercial, up-market, passenger barge.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.