Ricoh's GR - I love it

alig

Link Posted 20/02/2015 - 22:21
With recent talk of a new GR, here are some images with the 'old' one

I love my wee GR, the images quality is outstanding for a wee compact.

It's my take everywhere camera.

1. The watcher

2. The old & the new

3. The Three Brethren

4. Lost...

5. Hume Castle

6. Hundy Mundy

Any comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks
Cheers

Ali

ist* DS & Ricoh GR

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 20/02/2015 - 22:30
Some fine images there, it does seem capable of very good results. I particularly like No.3 followed closely by 5 and 6. The ruin in No.6 reminds me of a halloween pumpkin...I know...I know...think it must be the cut
out shapes in the stonework. Now if you could just arrange for it to be backlit by a burning orange glow on a very dark night...

regards

Karlo

jules

Link Posted 20/02/2015 - 23:02
Fabulous imagery, loving the bold sqaure crops, just don't see enough of that nor do I ever remember to try it myself, you have a mastery of B+W which I can only aspire to, crackin work.
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

lennythelion

Link Posted 21/02/2015 - 01:22
A fantastic set of b+w images. Love the light and comp of no 1.

MJSfoto1956

Link Posted 21/02/2015 - 04:04
all top notch. Bravo!

fritzthedog

Link Posted 21/02/2015 - 07:22
A stunning set and a great reminder that we do not always need to drag 20 kilos of gear around with us to get great images.

Must dust the cobwebs off the Q and force myself to really learn what that camera can do. In the 2 years I have owned it I have done little more than play with it half a dozen times.

Thanks for sharing

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 21/02/2015 - 08:24
A polished and varied set. Very well converted. I know all the talk is of full frame but when one considers what can be crammed into such a small shell I'm more and more drawn to this type of camera. The only compromise is the fixed prime lens.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Last Edited by bwlchmawr on 21/02/2015 - 08:24

K10D

Link Posted 21/02/2015 - 12:12
A very good set of images. Superb conversions.

Best regards

Daronl

Link Posted 21/02/2015 - 12:46
What can be said, the GR is fantastic for sure but the imagery here is more about the photographer, it is a stunning collection of how you saw those scenes , the camera is just a tool

Wonderful work

alig wrote:
With recent talk of a new GR, here are some images with the 'old' one

I love my wee GR, the images quality is outstanding for a wee compact.

It's my take everywhere camera.

1. The watcher

2. The old & the new

3. The Three Brethren

4. Lost...

5. Hume Castle

6. Hundy Mundy

Any comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Daronl

alig

Link Posted 21/02/2015 - 12:54
Thank you all for the kind comments.

I can honestly say the GR has rekindled my photography since purchasing it.

I had the Q in the past but wasn't 100% happy with the results. When they brought out the GR with the same sensor as my K5, I knew I'd found the compact I'd been looking for.

The only reservation I had was the 28mm lens, although it nofw has a 35mm and 47mm through one of the modes.

But after using it for the last 2 years I have never had a problem, you can always zoom with your feet, you can get a good crop off the original RAW DNG file, as in no1 above, not sure how much it's cropped, but it was quite a bit. BTW that image won best B&W print and overall best B&W for the evening at my local cam club.

Thanks all
Cheers

Ali

ist* DS & Ricoh GR

michaelblue

Link Posted 21/02/2015 - 14:42
alig wrote:
Thank you all for the kind comments.

I can honestly say the GR has rekindled my photography since purchasing it.

I had the Q in the past but wasn't 100% happy with the results. When they brought out the GR with the same sensor as my K5, I knew I'd found the compact I'd been looking for.

The only reservation I had was the 28mm lens, although it nofw has a 35mm and 47mm through one of the modes.

But after using it for the last 2 years I have never had a problem, you can always zoom with your feet, you can get a good crop off the original RAW DNG file, as in no1 above, not sure how much it's cropped, but it was quite a bit. BTW that image won best B&W print and overall best B&W for the evening at my local cam club.

Thanks all

I'm not surprised, it's a great shot, it reminds me of Fritz Lang's 'Metropolis'
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

aliengrove

Link Posted 21/02/2015 - 22:18
A very impressive set! The GR is till my most used camera, and will probably remain so for a long time to come. As you have shown here, it's a very capable little camera. The lens is superb, even wide open, and the wide converter is far better than a bit of glass screwed onto the end of a lens has any right to be, outperforming the 15mm Ltd imo.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

alig

Link Posted 21/02/2015 - 23:01
Thanks again.

I was considering the wide converter Jonathan, good to hear your opinion on it. If it's better or as good as the 15mm, it's worth buying

Thanks
Cheers

Ali

ist* DS & Ricoh GR

edumad

Link Posted 22/02/2015 - 21:56
Really love 1, 2 and 5. Great work on contrast and light.
TWAPSI Blog

richandfleur

Link Posted 22/02/2015 - 22:10
Holy crap I like those. Great use of lighting, or I suspect the creation of lighting afterwards. Really good.
Last Edited by richandfleur on 22/02/2015 - 22:10
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.