RIAT 2018 images
Posted 17/07/2018 - 22:25 - Helpful Comment
Link
A really nice set Gareth, looks like you had a busy day. Love the variation of styles in processing and shooting
“Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.” – Ansel Adams
Posted 17/07/2018 - 22:26 - Helpful Comment
Link
Fantastic set Gareth, didn't take you long to get to grips with it.
Savage shooting 👏👏👏
Savage shooting 👏👏👏
I know what i like, If not always why.
Posted 17/07/2018 - 23:08 - Helpful Comment
Link
Great set Gareth, looks like eveything came together so you could showcase your talents with the new kit.
Well done
Brst Regards
Well done
Brst Regards
Daronl
Posted 18/07/2018 - 08:47 - Helpful Comment
Link
Can't complain about your jet shots and a good set considering the conditions, I had a lot of problems with heat haze (we moan when it's hot, we moan when it's cold) and the metering was way out on a lot of my s. Really like 16 Gareth but your shutter speed was WAY too high on the prop planes, you need around 1/250th or lower to get decent blur otherwise they just look like model kits.
Looks like the SIgma did you proud though
Looks like the SIgma did you proud though
Posted 18/07/2018 - 10:48 - Helpful Comment
Link
You did well for your first RIAT Gareth particularly as you've only just acquired the Sigma. I too like the different presentation of some of your images...sepia for the WW1 works really well...particularly like that. As Mike says 'nothing wrong with the jets'...No.2 is my favourite.
Re. the props...shutter speed was too high, you get lovely sharp aircraft but the props effectively get frozen in time detracting from the overall image. This is an easy mistake to remedy next time assuming that you remember to change over if preceeded by jets...all too often you can forget to do it and only realise your mistake after the event.
The hardest shots to get right are those combining jets and props as you are effectively forced to shoot as though they were all props even though your brain is saying 'jets'...higher speed for sharpness. This is where a mastery of panning at various speeds saves the day...only really comes with practice and is sometimes a bit 'hit and miss' with a low 'keeper' ratio.
Hope you enjoyed RIAT anyway Gareth and your family weren't too frazzled by the arduous nature of the day...it's was as hot and demanding comfort wise as I've experienced on the Sunday although as my son reminded me at least we got the full flying display unlike the previous year on the saturday when it was wet and windy and the display was massively disrupted.
My son got his used 7D and 400 5.6L in time to take with him...thoroughly enjoyed his new toys and I have to say the IQ with that lens was at times 10/10. Made me realise I really need to invest in some better optics. I used his Sigma 150-500 for about 2 hours which was long enough and also used my Tamron 70-300 and SMC M 80-200 f4.5 for about the same duration each. I have to say I enjoyed using the 80-200 manual more than my other lenses so maybe I will look at going down the manual 300+ route.
Re. position on the airfield...we got there about 0650 and plumped this year for Green after a long absence...but more towards the right hand side of Green...about 150 yds from the edge of Blue which was as close to blue as we could get whilst managing to bag a few couple of yards of precious fenceline. Stayed there all day bar one toilet trip cum browsing of static en route...worked out ok except because the display overran time wise, we ended up missing about half of the static display completely! Crowds seemed down on previous years...possibly because of increase in admission fees and World Cup...but we didn't mind.
I'll post some themed images over the next few days...I took about 1500 this year...my most ever although I think i've plateaued in terms of technique/ability/equipment so not necessarily any different standard wise than what i've posted in previous...but at least it helps keep the site ticking over until
people start to post their holiday shots
Regards
Karlo
Re. the props...shutter speed was too high, you get lovely sharp aircraft but the props effectively get frozen in time detracting from the overall image. This is an easy mistake to remedy next time assuming that you remember to change over if preceeded by jets...all too often you can forget to do it and only realise your mistake after the event.
The hardest shots to get right are those combining jets and props as you are effectively forced to shoot as though they were all props even though your brain is saying 'jets'...higher speed for sharpness. This is where a mastery of panning at various speeds saves the day...only really comes with practice and is sometimes a bit 'hit and miss' with a low 'keeper' ratio.
Hope you enjoyed RIAT anyway Gareth and your family weren't too frazzled by the arduous nature of the day...it's was as hot and demanding comfort wise as I've experienced on the Sunday although as my son reminded me at least we got the full flying display unlike the previous year on the saturday when it was wet and windy and the display was massively disrupted.
My son got his used 7D and 400 5.6L in time to take with him...thoroughly enjoyed his new toys and I have to say the IQ with that lens was at times 10/10. Made me realise I really need to invest in some better optics. I used his Sigma 150-500 for about 2 hours which was long enough and also used my Tamron 70-300 and SMC M 80-200 f4.5 for about the same duration each. I have to say I enjoyed using the 80-200 manual more than my other lenses so maybe I will look at going down the manual 300+ route.
Re. position on the airfield...we got there about 0650 and plumped this year for Green after a long absence...but more towards the right hand side of Green...about 150 yds from the edge of Blue which was as close to blue as we could get whilst managing to bag a few couple of yards of precious fenceline. Stayed there all day bar one toilet trip cum browsing of static en route...worked out ok except because the display overran time wise, we ended up missing about half of the static display completely! Crowds seemed down on previous years...possibly because of increase in admission fees and World Cup...but we didn't mind.
I'll post some themed images over the next few days...I took about 1500 this year...my most ever although I think i've plateaued in terms of technique/ability/equipment so not necessarily any different standard wise than what i've posted in previous...but at least it helps keep the site ticking over until
people start to post their holiday shots
Regards
Karlo
Posted 18/07/2018 - 11:03 - Helpful Comment
Link
1stEverPentax wrote:
My son got his used 7D and 400 5.6L in time to take with him...thoroughly enjoyed his new toys and I have to say the IQ with that lens was at times 10/10.
It really is a killer combo isn't it and when you consider the lens has been in production for well over ten years and the 7D MKI not far behind. The only reason I sold my 400mm f/5.6 was because Canon bought out the 100-400mm MKII which is as good as the prime but obviously the zoom is a bonus.My son got his used 7D and 400 5.6L in time to take with him...thoroughly enjoyed his new toys and I have to say the IQ with that lens was at times 10/10.
I will post some of my Pentax shots in the next few days, have to say the K-1 performed very well considering.
Posted 18/07/2018 - 11:11 - Helpful Comment
Link
Amazing quality and variety pf images. Great action too. Well done Gareth.
Posted 19/07/2018 - 02:05 - Helpful Comment
Link
That looked an exciting visit with some fantastic captures.
Posted 19/07/2018 - 07:43 - Helpful Comment
Link
Nice set Gareth, i am very drawn to no. 16
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Posted 19/07/2018 - 21:42
Link
Many thanks all. First time at an airshow and it was ace! Loved it Forgot to change the setting over
Mike-P wrote:
Gareth but your shutter speed was WAY too high on the prop planes, you need around 1/250th or lower to get decent blur otherwise they just look like model kits.
Duly noted
Gareth but your shutter speed was WAY too high on the prop planes, you need around 1/250th or lower to get decent blur otherwise they just look like model kits.
Gareth Williams ARPS
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Posted 19/07/2018 - 21:55 - Helpful Comment
Link
cardiffgareth wrote:
Many thanks all. First time at an airshow and it was ace! Loved it Forgot to change the setting over
It's not just you, I do it all the time. I Should really setup a couple of the user modes but I always forget until the day before
Many thanks all. First time at an airshow and it was ace! Loved it Forgot to change the setting over
Posted 20/07/2018 - 12:17 - Helpful Comment
Link
Mike-P wrote:
I just use aperture priority for jets, (typically wide open) & shutter priority for props (speed used varies a bit with aircraft)cardiffgareth wrote:
Many thanks all. First time at an airshow and it was ace! Loved it Forgot to change the setting over
It's not just you, I do it all the time. I Should really setup a couple of the user modes but I always forget until the day before Many thanks all. First time at an airshow and it was ace! Loved it Forgot to change the setting over
But yes even so I sometimes forget to switch
I don't thinks any of my jet shots compare well with these. Great job especially for a first show!
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
Posted 20/07/2018 - 22:16
Link
Thanks Mike
Gareth Williams ARPS
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Posted 21/07/2018 - 22:18
Link
Very nice set Gareth... really not my area of expertise, but I particularly like 16 for the sheer sense of scale...
Best
Best
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


3434 posts
11 years
Barrybados
RIAT 2018 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr
2.
RIAT 2018 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr
3.
RIAT 2018 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr
4.
RIAT 2018 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr
5.
RIAT 2018 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr
6.
RIAT 2018 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr
7.
RIAT 2018 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr
8.
RIAT 2018 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr
9.
RIAT 2018 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr
10.
RIAT 2018 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr
11.
RIAT 2018 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr
12.
RIAT 2018 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr
13.
RIAT 2018 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr
14.
RIAT 2018 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr
15.
RIAT 2018 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr
16.
RIAT 2018 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr
17.
RIAT 2018 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr
Full set here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gareth_williams_photography/albums/721576987349965...
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT