RHS Harlow Carr Reflections

PRYorkshire

Link Posted 17/09/2020 - 22:01
Welcome comments on whether you think colour or black and white works best on this reflection shot at RHS Harlow Carr. I found the sign board on left distracting in the colour shot so tried black and white to see if it improves things. Welcome your thoughts.

Paul

K1000, istD, K70

danofmk

Link Posted 17/09/2020 - 23:05
Colour for me - doubt I would have even noticed the board if you hadn't mentioned it!

JAK

Link Posted 17/09/2020 - 23:20
If it worries you, couldn't you just crop that bit off? IMHO You'll loose nothing of importance.
John K

pschlute

Link Posted 18/09/2020 - 00:03
Personally I would crop to remove the foreground and the sign on the left, and even up the building/reflection. Increase the contrast/saturation a little. Tone down the bright areas in the top half and boost them in the lower half.

Your image as posted was in AdobeRGB colour space. For posting to the web you are best posting in sRGB, as anyone viewing in a non-colour managed browser will be seeing colours out of whack.

Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 18/09/2020 - 00:04

MrB

Link Posted 18/09/2020 - 03:05
The colour shot seems preferable to me but with saturation reduced a bit (and a bit more in the reds). The sign board seems insignificant compared with the distraction of the overhanging leaves. Although use of such a feature to help frame a subject can work, for me their intrusion seems untidy in this case.

Philip

LennyBloke

Link Posted 18/09/2020 - 08:52
Like both versions - but I think Peters crop improves the image
LennyBloke

PRYorkshire

Link Posted 18/09/2020 - 09:53
Many thanks for the comments. I agree that the crop improves the shot. When sitting down and visualising the shot my attention was drawn by the reflection in the water as people walked past, however obviously with a static photo that movement is lost and the attention is then drawn more to the building.
Paul

K1000, istD, K70

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 21/09/2020 - 10:20
pschlute wrote:
Personally I would crop to remove the foreground and the sign on the left, and even up the building/reflection. Increase the contrast/saturation a little. Tone down the bright areas in the top half and boost them in the lower half.

This
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm ii HSM Macro - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.