RHS Harlow Carr - yet again! (image heavy)

jvs

Link Posted 05/07/2022 - 21:46
There was a special royal Jubilee event which meant that the place was pretty busy, but also in tiptop condition. Here's a (rather large) selection of the photos I took.
Wider views first, then close-ups. All with K-1 + FA 28-105. Please feel free to comment if you make it through to the end!

John

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 05/07/2022 - 22:40
There was a time when horticultural gardens held little interest for me...little did i suspect that decades later
I would actively seek them out!

Great location John with some lovely images.

Prefer the close ups over the wider shots but they are useful to give a 'feel' for the setting.

Personal favourites due to the lovely subtle colours are Nos 13 and 7.

Regards

Karlo

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 05/07/2022 - 23:32
#16 for me. Almost like a painting. Isn't that 28-105 a cracker of a lens?
Be well, stay safe.

Mike-P

Link Posted 06/07/2022 - 13:45
Personally from one to six ... not a fan, however from seven onwards very nice indeed.

Especially like seven, ten and fourteen but sixteen is spectacular ... glad I made it through to the end
. My Flickr

LennyBloke

Link Posted 07/07/2022 - 08:43
I think we too often focus on looking for our favourite image(s) when multi image posts are made (guilty ) but seeing a set such as this shows the wider context as well as specific beauty of individual plants. Lovely set John
LennyBloke

bforbes

Link Posted 07/07/2022 - 09:44
Mike-P wrote:
Personally from one to six ... not a fan, however from seven onwards very nice indeed.

Especially like seven, ten and fourteen but sixteen is spectacular ... glad I made it through to the end

I think some scenes that are picturesque are not necessarily photogenic
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

Lubbyman

Link Posted 07/07/2022 - 11:50
A great set . Having been to the place myself several times in recent years, the first (wider view) shots simply scream 'Harlow Carr' to me. The close-ups are great shots of the flowers, albeit they could have been taken anywhere. And there is definitely something about the close-ups that makes me think of paintings.

Steve

Pwynnej

Link Posted 07/07/2022 - 14:07
I worked opposite Harlow Carr for 6 years, only ventured there once.

Super images, the stronger ones came towards the end.
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. DFA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. D-FA 100 (gone now!). The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon

Mike-P

Link Posted 07/07/2022 - 17:00
bforbes wrote:

I think some scenes that are picturesque are not necessarily photogenic

Photography is a wonderful medium but I guess some things can just be lost in translation.
. My Flickr

jvs

Link Posted 11/07/2022 - 14:42
Thanks for such interesting comments, particularly about the wider views. I wonder if they would have been received differently if not followed in the same post by such attractive close-ups. (That's not a boast about my photography, merely my feeling about the lovely plants!)

At the same time, I accept the comments about the wider views completely. I do agree with Steve (Lubbyman), though anyone who has never been to Harlow Carr could not share his comment about the wider views; and with John (Lennybloke). It does seem to have become almost compulsory to select favourites. I think sometimes we may shy away from constructive criticism for fear of offending; selecting favourites, I suppose, gets round this quite niftily.
John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.