REVISED - Tea Gardens, Munnar, India.

RAJHANS
Posted 24/02/2025 - 12:41 Link
A big goof up on my part . I had shot these images in 2006 in RAW and later converted them into JPEG. In my unorganised file storage, I forgot raw images and continued with jpeg all through. Thanks to Mike, he wished to see' out of camera photos' and in that exercise I happened to find the raw treasure Though its a repeat, request you to have a look and offer your frank views, specially requesting Jonathan to consider technical aspects and opine, Thanks and Regards.
Comment Image
IMGP0141 by hansraj_vyas, on Flickr
Comment Image
IMGP0142 by hansraj_vyas, on Flickr
Comment Image
IMGP0143 by hansraj_vyas, on Flickr
Comment Image
IMGP0146 by hansraj_vyas, on Flickr
Comment Image
IMGP0147 by hansraj_vyas, on Flickr
Comment Image
IMGP0150 by hansraj_vyas, on Flickr
MikeInDevon
Posted 24/02/2025 - 14:10 Link
Absolutely stunning so beautiful!
davidwozhere
Posted 24/02/2025 - 23:08 Link
They certainly do not have that stark, brightly coloured finish of the other set. These are much more realistic. But I must say that I rarely ever use RAW. I just never overwrite the original JPGs and always save the edited version 'as' (name). I have never discovered any advantage in them - although there is never a shortage of people who praise them most highly. They take an eternity to write to disc and are absolutely huge memory-hogging files. Perhaps, if I wanted something to fill a billboard? When do we amateurs need that?
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
Yorkie
Posted 25/02/2025 - 10:03 Link
This set is nice, however, I prefer the first edition as they better convey the hot tropical climate of southern India.
smc
Posted 25/02/2025 - 11:50 Link
Very nice.
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 25/02/2025 - 14:54 Link
I really don't want to be singled out as the bad guy shooting down others' genuine efforts but I believe that when people ask for feedback they deserve to get very honest results. I hope I'm not coming over as overly critical and if I am then I apologise.

I think these have toned down the colour and contrast from what you originally posted, personally I would tone them down even more on most (perhaps not all) of them. The shadows are still very dark but I hadn't realised these were from 2006 and therefore what is now a pretty old sensor so I'm not sure what level of shadow recovery will be possible.

Apart from that, some things I didn't notice in the first set you posted but looking back they are there. The sensor was dirty and there are quite a few spots that should be quite easy to clean up, mostly in the sky but some not. There also seems to be a strange blue artifact running across some of the images (top to bottom in the landscape orientation shots). I can see it in shots 1, 3 & 6 in this post. It sort of looks like flare, which would explain why it's not in all the shots, but not quite. I don't know what it is.

I'll reiterate that these are nicely composed shots. I would love to go somewhere to have the opportunity to shoot such beautiful landscapes one day.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
RAJHANS
Posted 26/02/2025 - 04:10 Link
Thanks friends, appreciate your nice views and comments.
Jonathan - I highly appreciate your very frank feedback on my first set and now on this one. You might have read my opinion on "Reasons for few entries". I strongly believe that the Forum is a place to display, discuss and learn and not just an exhibition gallery. I, therefore, value your inputs and request you to always offer your frank feedback on my exhibits.
Coming back to your observations-
I was on a conducted tour and the shooting time was late noon-around 1 to 2 pm. This is reflected in the angle of deep shadows. I found it difficult to open up these shadows in pp. The earlier set was processed in LAB colour mode which has resulted in strong saturated colours. The present set has been processed in RGB colour mode resulting in less saturated colours, though, the shaded areas still look more saturated. About dirty sensor, yes i agree, it has left several spots, clearly visible in highlight areas. I had cleaned a few but some remained, culprit my weak eyesight- now 80 yrs old Regarding blue flare, I think, the descending mist on the mountains gives that look.Though the sunshine on the foreground was quite bright, the distant background was still not clear and covered with the mist.
I thank you, Jonathan, once again and highly appreciate your frank feedback.
Best regards

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo