Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Reverse reversing ring?

mayday
Posted 08/11/2010 - 19:30 Link
vic cross wrote:
I have a reversing ring for a 49mm thread 50mm lens. What I want is the opposite. Instead of the ring being positive K bayonet to positive 49mm thread I want it to be K bayonet female to 49mm female so that I can put it on the end of my reversed lens and fit my Pentax 080 ring flash onto the front. Any ideas anyone on how to fit a 080 ring flash onto the end of a reversed 50mm K fit lens?. CHEERS Vic.

If you have an old 49mm filter and a cheap extension tube set (just for the parts!) you could try this link I put this together in an hour or so and it works just like the real pentax item!
Regards
David

Retired at last - now all that time for photography - you would think: wink:
Mannesty
Posted 08/11/2010 - 19:45 Link
mayday wrote:
vic cross wrote:
I have a reversing ring for a 49mm thread 50mm lens. What I want is the opposite. Instead of the ring being positive K bayonet to positive 49mm thread I want it to be K bayonet female to 49mm female so that I can put it on the end of my reversed lens and fit my Pentax 080 ring flash onto the front. Any ideas anyone on how to fit a 080 ring flash onto the end of a reversed 50mm K fit lens?. CHEERS Vic.

If you have an old 49mm filter and a cheap extension tube set (just for the parts!) you could try this link I put this together in an hour or so and it works just like the real pentax item!

Hang on a minute mayday. You copied my idea and even posted in my thread, so why not link to my thread on this forum instead of PentaxForums? Your version differs from mine only in the fact that it locks on to the reverse mounted lens. This is a function of the chosen donor extension tube, not the overall design. My mark II version would use a suitable extension tube rather than one that fell to pieces once I'd started dismantling it.

You could at least have the courtesy to acknowledge my thread here, though I appreciate the acknowledgement on the other forum.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 08/11/2010 - 20:00
mayday
Posted 08/11/2010 - 19:55 Link
Mannesty wrote:
mayday wrote:
Quote:

Hang on a minute mayday. You copied my idea and even posted in my thread, so why not link to my thread on this forum instead of PentaxForums? You could at least have the courtesy to acknowledge my thread here, though I appreciate the acknowledgement on the other forum.

Hi Pete - my apologies for the oversight - just came in from work and was scanning the forum when I saw the post and thought I know a good way to solve the problem and dashed off a response. Just come back from dinner and posted this. I knew there was a thread on this forum but just couldn't find it readily. Apologies once again
Regards
David

Mannesty
Posted 08/11/2010 - 20:04 Link
No worries, apology accepted. I just wish a had used a decent extension tube set in the first place.

If Carlsberg made reversed reversing ring adapters to fit ring flash lights to reversed lenses, they'd probably do a half decent job. Until then . . .
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
vic cross
Posted 08/11/2010 - 20:30 Link
To all who replied with very good suggestions, especially Petes 2007 link. THANKS A LOT. I think I might start looking for some bits and pieces. I already have a spare 49mm filter I can use. I also have some old Chinon lenses I may look at to see if can possibly dismantle and use some of their parts. I might start to look for some cheap old extension rings. Who knows? CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
petrochemist
Posted 08/11/2010 - 20:46 Link
There are some very cheap extension tubes available from Hong Kong / China on e-bay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-ring-Macro-Extension-Tube-Pentax-K100D-K10D-K200D-/22068...

Under £5.

They basically have a short PK connector at each end with screw thread connectors in between. If you're only after one pair of connectors they should make a reasonable solution.
I was hoping to use a Nikon set & a PK set to make up a macro lens adapter but unfortunately the screw threads for the two sets differ (even though I got them from the same supplier)
I'm sure I 'll find other uses for the PK set I got, the nikon ones will probably end up back on e-bay sometime.
Mike
Mike
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].FlickrWPFPanoramio
Edited by petrochemist: 08/11/2010 - 20:49
vic cross
Posted 09/11/2010 - 09:39 Link
Thanks Mike I've had a look. CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
vic cross
Posted 09/11/2010 - 10:31 Link
I've just had a thought. When putting an extension tube and a filter ring together why take the filter glass out of its ring? As we use filters on our lenses (most of us) why not leave the filter glass in situ? Looking at various cheap sets of extension tubes am I right in thinking that they have an adaptor ring with the male bayonet and a female thread. Which means the actual tubes have a male thread which needs to be removed first before the filter ring can be glued to it?
CHEERS Vic.
mayday
Posted 09/11/2010 - 13:41 Link
vic cross wrote:
I've just had a thought. When putting an extension tube and a filter ring together why take the filter glass out of its ring? As we use filters on our lenses (most of us) why not leave the filter glass in situ? Looking at various cheap sets of extension tubes am I right in thinking that they have an adaptor ring with the male bayonet and a female thread. Which means the actual tubes have a male thread which needs to be removed first before the filter ring can be glued to it?
CHEERS Vic.

That's exactly it Vic. Take the shortest extension tube, remove the lens mount half and then glue the filter ring into the space left. I used a glue designed for sticking metal.

As for removing the glass - well I suppose there is the option to leave it in. But certainly remove it whilst the gluing process is going on - save messing up the glass. I still have the remaining two bits of the cheap tubes I bought to do the job. Will have a look this evening and see whether the second "middle tube" of the set would convert to a flash mount. If so - might be able to put one together for you if interested :
Regards
David

vic cross
Posted 09/11/2010 - 16:34 Link
Thanks David. Looking at the various adverts to me it looks like the adaptor has a K male and screw female and the tubes all have male screw and female K therefore any would do the job except that the 2nd. and 3rd. would be longer than the 1st. thus moving the flash further forward from the lens and possibly causing vignetting. I have just bought and fitted a 52-49 step down ring to my standard 18-55 lens for the ring flash and it gives a little vignetting at the wide end. With a zoom lens it is no problem, just zoom in a little. With a fixed 50mm lens it would just mean composing to allow for this and then cropping in P.S. Two questions. If you could make one for me do you want me to send you my spare 49mm UV filter and what will it cost me? Obviously I would pay the P&P CHEERS Vic.
Algernon
Posted 09/11/2010 - 17:17 Link
Some older filters such as Yashica had a screw out glass retaining ring. So the glass could be removed and put back easily. They were also quite chunky.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
vic cross
Posted 24/11/2010 - 18:02 Link
Well all you people out there in Pentax land I have to say loud and clear what a great bunch you are. Especially at this time MAYDAY (David).Would you all believe it he has actually gone and made a one up for me out of what he called "SPARE BITS LYING AROUND" I have just received it in today's post and have so far only fitted it all together and it looks good. He wanted nothing for parts, labour, or P&P. How good is that? CHEERS Vic.
TOZZA27
Posted 25/11/2010 - 14:05 Link
Can`t get better than a Pentax fixer !!

Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.