Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

repair

gartmore
Posted 02/05/2006 - 13:49 Link
This is a bad day....

My 645 has just been returned by Pentax UK from a repair/service. They had it from mid January and this is May 2nd. The camera was pretty poorly packaged (moving around in poly chips in the cardboard box). The long and the short of it is that it is now impossible to mount a lens - they dont go far enough into the body let alone rotate and there is a stress fracture on the pentaprism housing where there was only a ding before. All the signs of the camera being dropped, before or during transit, I think. I've phoned them and await confirmation of what to do next. Has anyone had a similar experience? The sympathetic bloke I spoke to suggested that they might replace the camera but this is an old beast - is that likely, do you think?

All opinions gratefully received.

Ken
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Mannesty
Posted 02/05/2006 - 14:24 Link
Sad indeed. I had an istD repaired by Pentax UK a few months ago. The repair cost was reasonable and it came back well packaged. It'll be a result if they were to give you a 645NII as a replacement though, will it not?.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
gartmore
Posted 02/05/2006 - 15:24 Link
That would indeed be a result, Peter, but maybe I should just buy a lottery ticket! Thing is, I cant see how they can replace an original 645 unless there is a barn full of unopened boxes or something. Come to think of it the new digi 645 is coming...

No, stop it.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Mannesty
Posted 02/05/2006 - 15:30 Link
Ken, don't get too carried away. Time for a cold shower I think
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
kully
Posted 02/05/2006 - 17:40 Link
They were like that with my Pentax ME Super.

I paid them the £60 to get it fixed (shutter speed) and serviced.

I then waited, and waited and waited. Two months later I rang up and they said it was going into the workshop.

I received it a few days later in the post (which maddened me as I'd rung up three times to ensure they would ring me and I'd pick it up rather than chance it getting lost in the post). The camera had dust inside and hadn't been fixed even though the form said it had been fixed and serviced/cleaned.

Back it went (although they didn't apologise or explain why it wasn't fixed). Three months later and many phone calls later I went to pick it up and it was as I'd given it to them. Again, no apologies - just a note saying "part no longer available".

Two months after that I got a cheque for my £60.

Funny thing is the camera was taken to an old camera repair bloke in Spain early this year who fixed/serviced it in a few hours and charged ~£20!

I think it's a problem with the older stuff - the techies havn't got the skills/inclination to diagnose problems, they'll just diagnose using a chart and swap out anything that's not working (in my opinion).

I'm sure someone here recommended a repairman who also advertises on eBay.
johnriley
Posted 02/05/2006 - 17:47 Link
If it helps, there's a list of unrepairable items on the Pentax website. When Pentax no longer do repairs there are plenty of imdepemdent reapirers who may well be able to help.

However, expensive repairs may not be good value if you can find a good second hand replacement, maybe at a fraction of the cost.
Best regards, John
gartmore
Posted 02/05/2006 - 18:51 Link
I dont think there are any problems with the repairs to my camera - faulty wind mechanism and a repair the main PCB. It certainly worked OK in those respects. I can no longer fit a lens and the body has a crack in it. My beef is about very poor packing. Anyway I'll keep you posted as things progress (or not), its going to the post office tomorrow morning.

Ken
Ken
Reuben0
Posted 04/05/2006 - 00:25 Link
gartmore wrote:
The camera was pretty poorly packaged (moving around in poly chips in the cardboard box)..... All the signs of the camera being dropped, before or during transit, I think. Has anyone had a similar experience? The sympathetic bloke I spoke to suggested that they might replace the camera but this is an old beast - is that likely?

I had a similar experience with my D. It came back poorly packaged and a small dent in the side

They said they would "probably" replace it with a new one. Needless to say that didn't happen.

They did repair it however, but only after I went in person to Langley to complain!

I hope you have a better experience than me!
Mike
gartmore
Posted 04/05/2006 - 08:36 Link
Mike, I have a deep seated suspicion I will experience something similar

Ken
Ken
kully
Posted 04/05/2006 - 13:50 Link
If it helps, I don't mind delivering any protestations in person - I work 10 minutes from their HQ/service centre.
gartmore
Posted 04/05/2006 - 19:27 Link
Good man!!!
Ken
gartmore
Posted 15/05/2006 - 08:56 Link
latest news is that the 645 has gone off to Europe again. I'll be quite happy if it comes back fixed but not if I have to wait another 3 months.
Ken
gartmore
Posted 19/06/2006 - 09:20 Link
Well it is now back looking better than it has for years. They replaced the top and bottom covers and fixed the back focus and replaced the lens contacts. All this on top of the work they did previously adds up to an almost as good as new camera. But (why does there always have to be a 'but'?) the packaging was still pathetic - camera rolling about loose in polystyrene cornflakes, no bubble wrap. Result? Two little dents in the brand new pentprism cover, infuriating!!! and six months to do it.

Ken
Ken
Ofutter
Posted 22/06/2006 - 00:56 Link
To be honest I have lost faith in Penax's ability to repair cameras, especially when they wanted £180 to fit a Beattie interscreen to my 6x7.

An old-timer photographer I know recommended a repair shop in Farringdon (North London) called Graham Playford, who managed to do the same screen upgrade for £20 and did a fantastic job, even checked the shutter speeds for free.

Every repair I need done, whatever the camera or format is always done at this place and I have always been very happy.

For anyone who is interested his number is 02078330850, he is definately worth checking out, especially if you get a stupid quote from Pentax like I did.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.