Removal of Anti-Aliasing Filter
This topic has a poll - login to enter
Posted 07/02/2012 - 09:51
Link
Interesting idea, but I wouldn't be keen especially at a premium rate
Posted 07/02/2012 - 10:05
Link
johnriley wrote:
I thought the 645D had no AA filter?
It doesn't John as most, if not all of the MF size sensors don't. I thought the 645D had no AA filter?
It is a first for a DSLR manufacturer to offer as std though. The M9 also is without AA but it's not a DSLR.
Best regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 07/02/2012 - 10:05
Link
And Leica M9 has no filter? Edit: K10D is fast!!
It would be way down on my list of prioryties.
It would be way down on my list of prioryties.
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350
Posted 07/02/2012 - 10:07
Link
I wouldn't have one removed as it's part of the imagining process in the camera. If it's designed that way that's one thing, but if it's not then taking it out would seem unwise.
There is a function in the imaging process for the AA filter.
There is a function in the imaging process for the AA filter.
Best regards, John
Posted 07/02/2012 - 10:11
Link
Sorry, I wasn't aware that the MF cameras didn't have this.
I agree that it shouldn't just be 'removed' - something still needs to be in its place, but it makes me wonder whether if (like many others) I never shoot JPEGs if it isn't actually reducing the quality of my images rather than enhancing them?
Having never really seen the difference it is hard to say.
I agree that it shouldn't just be 'removed' - something still needs to be in its place, but it makes me wonder whether if (like many others) I never shoot JPEGs if it isn't actually reducing the quality of my images rather than enhancing them?
Having never really seen the difference it is hard to say.
Posted 07/02/2012 - 10:12
Link
I've seen results from the M9 and they are very impressive. That said, so is the glass on the front of it. Once I've seen real images from the D800E, I can say ye or nay.
an example link
If the IQ is improved markedly, other manufacturers will follow. They are sheep after all.
Best regards
an example link
If the IQ is improved markedly, other manufacturers will follow. They are sheep after all.
Best regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 07/02/2012 - 10:19
Link
greynolds999, even a RAW capture has some processing by the camera to translate the black and white image into a colour one that makes sense - this involves some clever electronics taking the Bayer filter information and doing its trickery, before the file is ready to be used. The AA filter will be programmed into this process, so if it wasn't there it may have some strange side effects.
Ultimately the AA filter is there because it needs to be, to avoid interference patterns on fine detail. We used to see something similar on tweed jackets on TV - that shimmering, distorting effect on the fine detail.
Ultimately the AA filter is there because it needs to be, to avoid interference patterns on fine detail. We used to see something similar on tweed jackets on TV - that shimmering, distorting effect on the fine detail.
Best regards, John
Posted 07/02/2012 - 10:28
Link
Yes, I appreciate that. But moiré can be corrected in PhotoShop.
I think it will be interesting to see some real-world usage of this. It's really going to be down how it's received by the pros.
As for me, I will wait and see what happens.
I think it will be interesting to see some real-world usage of this. It's really going to be down how it's received by the pros.
As for me, I will wait and see what happens.
Posted 07/02/2012 - 15:04
Link
The new XPro1 does not have it either and it does not have a version that does like the D800. Nikon is reportedly providing a version of their software with the camera that takes care of the moire patterns. I think it provides an extra level of control over your final image which for people buying a 2500£ camera might be a welcome option.
Also it is not like you pay to have it removed, you pay for the option and Nikon expects it to be a smaller run so they have to recoup the expense.
Also it is not like you pay to have it removed, you pay for the option and Nikon expects it to be a smaller run so they have to recoup the expense.
Posted 07/02/2012 - 16:31
Link
Quote:
Nikon concedes that use of an altered low-pass filter risks 'false colour and moire' in photos.
But it expects photographers to counteract these effects by using widely available imaging software, including Nikon's optional Capture NX 2.
This is what I fear the future may hold, to our detriment. Manufacturers can avoid making the product complete on its own and to get the right results from it we might need software. This could apply to lenses too. Too difficult to make the lens with full corrections? No problem, just put the corrections in the software.Nikon concedes that use of an altered low-pass filter risks 'false colour and moire' in photos.
But it expects photographers to counteract these effects by using widely available imaging software, including Nikon's optional Capture NX 2.
The when we buy a second hand camera or lens we'll need tro investigate it, get the apprporiate software, and of course it won't work properly with more recent lenses and bodies, and so on....so we have to buy new.
I'm not liking the thought as in the very long term it could be a possibility.
Best regards, John
Posted 07/02/2012 - 17:38
Link
John,
I strongly suspect that if Pentax go this route that their in-camera processing will deal with it
For example, I had a chance to look at some Pentax Q JPG + DNG files - and the JPGs were all nicely corrected for distortion and vignetting already. The DNG files were handled in LR3, but of course other software will have to be checked.
Personally I'd rather have more resolution available - at least in RAW - with the work load of anti-moire in software. If it the AA filter can be performed in-camera for the JPG then I would like that a lot
Matt
I strongly suspect that if Pentax go this route that their in-camera processing will deal with it
For example, I had a chance to look at some Pentax Q JPG + DNG files - and the JPGs were all nicely corrected for distortion and vignetting already. The DNG files were handled in LR3, but of course other software will have to be checked.
Personally I'd rather have more resolution available - at least in RAW - with the work load of anti-moire in software. If it the AA filter can be performed in-camera for the JPG then I would like that a lot
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 07/02/2012 - 23:39
Link
I'd rather have a camera that works in its own right.
I have enough difficulty getting suitable results out of photoshop for the odd times I have a go that it woulkd drive me to distraction if every shot had to be PP'd to get rid of a recuring "fault"
Bernard
I have enough difficulty getting suitable results out of photoshop for the odd times I have a go that it woulkd drive me to distraction if every shot had to be PP'd to get rid of a recuring "fault"
Bernard
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


3642 posts
17 years
Falkirk
Nikon engineers have developed a unique alternative for those seeking the ultimate in definition. The D800E incorporates an optical filter with all the anti-aliasing properties removed in order to facilitate the sharpest images possible. This is an ideal tool for photographers who can control light, distance and their subjects to the degree where they can mitigate the occurrence of moiré. Aside from the optical filter, all functions and features are the same as on the D800