Ref Converter (Right Angled Viewer)

Johnwnjr

Link Posted 27/02/2012 - 19:26
There is an article posted in the right hand column at the moment about this but my search for the model mentioned has proved unproductive. Can anyone say where one may be obtained please? After the article there is a Sky-Watcher mentioned and when going to this there is a list of other equipment that you seem to need to connect Sky-Watch to the camera so I presume that overall it would cost about £70 and there is no mention on how this might be attached to the Pentax K20D. I was on my haunches phtographing a helliborene and fell over backwards after getting the shot. Would this help to prevent this?! John

womble

Link Posted 27/02/2012 - 20:29
Refconvertors are quite difficult to find. The type that fit Spotmatic sized viewfinders are more common but are too small for the size used from the M series cameras to the present day. There are cheapo 3rd party ones available from ?Seagull on ebay but I have heard mixed reviews about them.

When they do come up for sale, they are pretty pricey.

Shooting film, I use my LX with one of the interchangeable prisms.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

johnha

Link Posted 27/02/2012 - 21:32
The Sky-Watcher right angle mentioned is for telescopes by the look of it. Any coment referring to connecting it to a camera would be in place of the camera lens, not the finder.

I had to make do with a naked focussing screen on my LX
PPG Flickr

beakynet

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 10:37
I believe that ones designed for Nikon and Canon might also fit (I stand to be corrected though) An example: On Amazon though sadly out of stock.

Other, more pricy options are:
1) Wireless viewfinder
2) Viewfinder from Video output
3) Wired Live View Remote
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon

bforbes

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 11:42
I could be corrected as well, but did I read that in some of the cheaper ones the image is reversed.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

Frogherder

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 12:33
Hoodman make a right angled viewfinder which comes with a variety of adapters, including Pentax.

To fit you remove the rubber eyepiece and slide the viewfinder in place.
Mine is a tad stiff to focus, but once done tends to stay put

regards
Bernard

gartmore

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 13:04
bforbes wrote:
I could be corrected as well, but did I read that in some of the cheaper ones the image is reversed.

Right angle finders show the image reversed whereas REF conerters show it the ight way round
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Frogherder

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 14:05
With the Hoodman H-RAV you see exactly the same as through the eyepiece, ie correct orientation

regards
Bernard

pentax

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 14:14
Premier ink supplies sell a seagull angle finder which comes with adaptors for different makes of camera, it also comes with a case and costs £50
Regards
Derek
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.