Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Recommend a Lightweight Tripod

darkskies
Posted 14/09/2016 - 17:01 Link
Hi Folks,

I want to buy a lightweight tripod for travelling. The preference is for it to fold up quite small, but it needs to be robust enough to take a DSLR like a K3 plus a decent lens. It's not going to have to take anything like a DA*300, for example.

Have you nice people got any recommendations?
This space deliberately left blank.
johnriley
Posted 14/09/2016 - 18:01 Link
I would perhaps take a table top tripod, a good one like an old second hand Leica one, but wouldn't bother with any tripod that isn't heavy enough to be a nuisance.

You have SR in the camera, plus the use of all sorts of impromptu supports. Trees, walls, tables, all sorts of places to hold a camera firm.

Unless you have a specific purpose for the tripod, such as photographing small items in museums, then it probably won't get used and will just be one more thing to carry.
Best regards, John
redbusa99
Posted 14/09/2016 - 18:17 Link
i always use a tripod at least once on holiday when using my 10 stop filter so would not travel without it. i have a "3 legged thing" punks version but i see now they appear to be only doing carbon fibre and no mag alloy ones so they have become very pricey compared to what they were. the other i have is the large Gorillapod which is very handy and versatile. you can literally wrap it around anything to gain a support and never had a problem supporting K5 11s plus DA*16-50 when i had one which is quite a heavy lens , now have a Pentax 17-70 again no problem or with the A70-210 ALL METAL lens
odd lens or 2

Flickr
Mag07
Posted 14/09/2016 - 18:31 Link
I will second a Gorrilapod- I have this Joby (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joby-GorillaPod-SLR-Zoom-Cameras-Ballhead/dp/B002FGTWOC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1473873744&sr=8-4&keywords=joby) and love it - it happily fully supports the K3II and the 55-300 or the Sigma 10-20 (up to 3kgs) It's all a matter of how you 'set' it's legs. It's tremendously flexible in that respect.
It's short and stubby though so you will always need a table/wall/rail something to set it on or attach it to.
I personally found the regular size tripods that are super light, just don't hold up to even the lightest winds very well when fully extended without you having to hang some weight on them, which I guess can work if you carry a few extra kilos in your bag at all times. If you don't then you might as well have a Joby.

My main tripod weighs 2.5 to 3kg depending on which head I use and I often find that too much to carry around when walking alone.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
Edited by Mag07: 14/09/2016 - 18:48
scarr1
Posted 14/09/2016 - 18:45 Link
I have a hama compact traveller pro which i use when im away up the caravan. Its quite lightweight and as the name says, compact....folds down to about 14 inches iirc. Comes with a carry case with strap. I think it was £35. it supports my k3 fine with the 18-135 and 55-300 fine.
cardiffgareth
Posted 14/09/2016 - 20:55 Link
Don't know how lightweight you want but the Manfrotto 190 series is rock solid and reasonably light. I just bought one and its head and shoulders above my old Jessops carbon fibre unit
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Blythman
Posted 14/09/2016 - 21:05 Link
Benro Carbon Travel Angel. The bees knees
Alan

PPG
Flickr
darkskies
Posted 14/09/2016 - 21:23 Link
Thanks for the comments so far, folks.

Just to make something obvious, I have already the need for a lightweight tripod, so a table-top unit or a gorillapod won't cut it. It will need to be used for night shots, as well as holiday shots.

I'll check out the recommendations so far.
GlynM
Posted 14/09/2016 - 22:07 Link
A while back I wanted something I could carry on my bicycle for shooting early morning landscapes and after some consideration went for a Red Snapper RSF-284M & RSH-61/30 Ball Head. It is light, folds up quite small and comes with a bag that I could easily sling over my shoulders.

I actually use it a lot, not just for trips, often in preference to my older Manfrotto 055pro. It also comes with with an additional short centre column for when you need to get close to the ground.

The latest version appears to have added two levels on the head.

Max. height - 1550mm (column extended)
Max. height - 1260mm (column not extended)
Min. height - 340mm
Min. height Short column - 145mm
Min. height(column reversed)- 0mm
Folded length 460mm
Tube dia. - 28mm
Weight - 1600g
Max Load - 8kg

RSH-61/30 ball head.

Ball Size 30mm
Height 80mm
Barrel Dia 40mm
Weight 330gms
Max. Load 5kg

You can see the full details here.

Glyn
Edited by GlynM: 14/09/2016 - 22:10
Mag07
Posted 14/09/2016 - 22:52 Link
In this case you may want to specify what you consider light weight
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
Edited by Mag07: 14/09/2016 - 22:52
McBrian
Posted 15/09/2016 - 06:51 Link
I have one of these for travelling, cheap but certainly not nasty for travel, cycling etc.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
darkskies
Posted 15/09/2016 - 15:51 Link
GlynM, that's a bit too big for what i want. i already have a Redsnapper tripod for my macro and telephoto needs.

McBrian wrote:
I have one of these for travelling, cheap but certainly not nasty for travel, cycling etc.

Funnily enough, I was just looking at this. It's size when packed up gives it an edge on others I've seen so far. Given, of course, that I don't really need the "bees knees!!"

Can you confirm that it is stable and performs well with the weight it specifies? Because, if it is, I reckon that's what I'll go for.
McBrian
Posted 15/09/2016 - 16:54 Link
Quote:
Can you confirm that it is stable and performs well with the weight it specifies? Because, if it is, I reckon that's what I'll go for.

Very happy with it, takes a K3ii, grip and 16-85, good a stable so far, twist lock legs a nice to use, the only gripe is the legs only have one position.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Edited by McBrian: 15/09/2016 - 16:55
darkskies
Posted 15/09/2016 - 17:09 Link
Thanks, Brian. I don't think the legs only having one position will matter too much, just for the moment, certainly for what I want it for in the immediate term.

Sorry, Alan, didn't thank you for your "bees knees" suggestion, Can't run to that at the moment!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.