RAW of PEF?

George Lazarette

Link Posted 07/09/2007 - 10:29
viewfinder wrote:
Is it correct that K100 will only capture using the Pentax version of RAW, ie so called 'PEF', and DNG is NOT available with this camera?

I have searched 'Self Help For Insomniacs',..aka the 'Operating manual' but to no obvious avail.

Surely, an operating manual will tell you what the device CAN do, rather than what it CAN'T. So if you don't find a reference to a camera's ability to bake pizzas, or write poetry, you can assume it can't.

Furthermore, if you had read anything about the K10D (and we assume you must have done, as you felt able to comment on it here at some length), you will have read that it was the first camera to support DNG. Ergo, earlier Pentax cameras, like the K100D, do not.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

viewfinder

Link Posted 07/09/2007 - 10:47
Dear George,

Thank you for refreshing my memory.........and for you helpful, friendly, polite and informative attitude.

So sorry to trouble you with my inept and stupid question.

MattMatic

Link Posted 07/09/2007 - 10:50
And to add to this - as I mentioned in my post, the K10D is the only one that uses a losslessly compressed PEF format. (This is because it has a much faster CPU and can cope with the job of squishing the data.)

All the others store the PEF directly (the *ist-D creating the largest file size).

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

namstoop

Link Posted 07/09/2007 - 11:48
George Lazarette wrote:
viewfinder wrote:
Is it correct that K100 will only capture using the Pentax version of RAW, ie so called 'PEF', and DNG is NOT available with this camera?

I have searched 'Self Help For Insomniacs',..aka the 'Operating manual' but to no obvious avail.

you will have read that it was the first camera to support DNG. Ergo, earlier Pentax cameras, like the K100D, do not.

G

well it is not exactly correct formulation - K100D Super is newer than K10D, but still does not have DNG.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 07/09/2007 - 12:09
namstoop wrote:
George Lazarette wrote:
Quote:

you will have read that it was the first camera to support DNG. Ergo, earlier Pentax cameras, like the K100D, do not.

G

well it is not exactly correct formulation - K100D Super is newer than K10D, but still does not have DNG.

You are illogical. Just because cameras earlier than the K10D (and Viewfinder was referring to the K100D, not the K100D Super) don't support DNG doesn't mean later cameras always will.

Horses are animals, but not all animals are horses.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

golfdiesel

Link Posted 07/09/2007 - 12:15
The K100D super is an updated version which adds dust removal. The processor and such will probably be the same as the K100D.
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T

namstoop

Link Posted 07/09/2007 - 12:24
George Lazarette wrote:
namstoop wrote:
Quote:
viewfinder wrote:

G

You are illogical. Just because cameras earlier than the K10D (and Viewfinder was referring to the K100D, not the K100D Super) don't support DNG doesn't mean later cameras always will.

Horses are animals, but not all animals are horses.

G

OK, sorry, maybe I just did not get correct meaning of your answer, because english is not my native language. For me your text was a bit illogical .
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.